Plogue Bidule as bit bridge

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Plogue Bidule as bit bridge

Post by Prime Mover »

I've been hearing people talk about using PB as a 64/32 bit bridge for 32bit plugins, but I'm kind of confused by what I'm seeing over at the PB website. There's a post that says that "the PB 64bit build will not recognize 32bit plugins," but if that's the case, then how can PB act as a bridge?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Plogue Bidule as bit bridge

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Because you will be running PB in 32 bit to run your 32 bit plugs, and DP in 64 bit to run the rest. I do believe that the 32 bit PB can still talk to a 64 bit DP.

Can't we all just get a long! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

PB is only a solution for 32bit VIs, right? It won't help with processing plugins. …or am i missing something?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
MIDI Life Crisis

PB can handle plug ins but may only be able to process them on VIs hosted in PB. It wouldn't surprise me if they might be able to publish them to DP but I just don't know. You might ask at their website:

http://www.plogue.com/phpBB2/
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

We're talking about running PB as a VI inside of DP8, right? Or are we talking standalone. Because if it's standalone, what's the point? I can run my VIs in standalone mode. The point is being able to run them inside my DP8 project.

Thankfully, I don't have any effects that are 32bit only... well, unless you count the effects module versions of B4 and korg Legacy, which I never use. So for my purposes, I'm only interested in VIs.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MIDI Life Crisis

I have never run a VI outside DP and fed it back into DP for inclusion in a project. That is what PB is for. Aside from that, if you have a host of VIs and presets you are using, PB will load these in one PB project file and not require multiple VIs being launched independently.

There are also a lot of other features but if you can workaround with your own procedure go for it!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:if you have a host of VIs and presets you are using, PB will load these in one PB project file and not require multiple VIs being launched independently.
How does that work? I would expect that you load PB in through an instrument track. As far as I know, if you have 3 different instrument tracks, they are three different instances of a plugin. But you're saying that with PB, it all ties in with one central instance? I'm beginning to think that PB is actually running on a completely different thread... almost another application outside of DP, but somehow connected by a common save file. Is this accurate? And is this how you can run 32bit PB inside of a 64bit host?

Well, whatever the verdict, I'm going to wait a few months. Actually, 64bit does very little for me at this point. My main editing computer continues to only have 4GB of RAM, so until I upgrade that (very cheap, I know) 64bit processing will do virtually nothing. I'll wait for you guys to pound it out (and I know you will) over the next month, then I'll get it when I know it's safe.

What I plan to do is order PB along with a nice RAM upgrade, that should be nice.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MIDI Life Crisis

PB will, for example, publish as many tracks of Kontakt as Kontakt can handle. These show in in DP either as Bidule 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc., just like when hosted in DP. You could have multiple instantiations of a VI but you can also use the VIs multi feature.

You DO NOT need a separate instance of a VI for each track (unless you're using a VI that is so limited).

That is the most basic aspect of PB as it has many other very cool features.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Ahhh, got ya. Basically PB is to Kontakt instances as Kontakt instances are to individual kontakt patches.

Honestly, these days, I tend to use one instance (track) per patch, as I like being able to automate everything separately. If I was back doing a lot of orchestral stuff, that would be great, though.

In any case, sounds like PB will do what I need it do to. Now I just need to wait a few pay checks.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I don't know much about this, but if you don't want to use DP in 32bit mode, if you have a VST version of an older 32 bit plug, this might work since DP now supports Mac VSTs:

http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridgem/
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Sorry updated the link above to show Mac version.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!