DP8 is on it's way now.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 is on it's way now.

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Come to think of it, the last time i had ANY problem it was real time. DP would just not record a segment after a length of time (which varied) and then would start again.

My bounce "errors" have always been due to user error.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I've R'ed the F'n M. I just misunderstood you. Sorry.

I've been using the QuickScribe window exclusively, and didn't realize that notation window still existed. And yes, it IS sloppy (a.k.a. underdeveloped).

Anyway, I'm glad to know it's still there. I'll probably start using it in addition to the QS window.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

For times when you need to read what you've played and move it to a convenient staff location, the notation window is great. I'd NEVER use it for notation - nor the QS window for that matter as I'm Finale literate.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Got it.

For me, the QuickScribe window does most of what I need (though I do have to jump through a few extra little hoops). Going from arrangement to rough parts works fine. Still, I will hope that DP builds on it, and the notation window that I didn't know still existed.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote:And yes, it IS sloppy (a.k.a. underdeveloped). ...
I think the correct term is long ignored.
stubbsonic wrote:... Still, I will hope that DP builds on it, and the notation window that I didn't know still existed.
No one here is holding their breath on that one. :deadhorse:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Prime Mover wrote:Actually, I've never once had a problem with BTD.
The few times that I have, it turned out to be defective RAM. Before I test the RAM in TTP, it (BTD failure) is usually the only warning I get.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I routinely BTD on every project w/o incident. MIDI gets recorded in real time most often, and freezing VIs is how I pull those tracks in. Then I bounce the whole sequence and it's sample accurate and sounds fine. No color wheels or anything unless a HD is clogging things.

I could see where a complex seq with a brazillion (or 10,000) audio tracks could be problematic. I'll leave those recordings for others to make.
Ha!
I used to BTD all the time until my resulting files were "simplified" in terms of automation, and reverbs and delays were not accurate.
Because of this, I did a test a couple of times: I BTD the same sequence 3 times, and it came out differently each time. None cancelled with any other.
This was quite a complex session, though, but nothing crazy like 10,000 tracks!

IME, Real-time recording, OTOH, is always accurate and will cancel with a duplicate test, no matter how complex the project is (as long as it can handle playback without coughing, of course).

These days, the only things I BTD are temp mixes, temp stems, etc... Things that will be discarded later.

I must emphasize that I've never read a thread here where someone has problems with real-time recording. However, there are BTD-problem threads on almost a weekly basis...

As usual, YMMV.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

To tell you the truth, I'm not quite geeky enough to try the cancellation thing. And perhaps if I bounced again, I might get different results, but for my purposes, what I end up with sounds just like I mixed it. Also, I don't use a lot of plugs. Verb and EQ and maybe dynamics, but I always try for the purest sound I can get. For what I do, less is more.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:To tell you the truth, I'm not quite geeky enough to try the cancellation thing. And perhaps if I bounced again, I might get different results, but for my purposes, what I end up with sounds just like I mixed it. Also, I don't use a lot of plugs. Verb and EQ and maybe dynamics, but I always try for the purest sound I can get. For what I do, less is more.
Are you calling me a geek? :)

The only reason I did the cancelling test was to confirm what I thought was happening and to make sure my mind was not playing tricks on me (and it wasn't).

As far as plug-ins go, my usage is quite similar to yours, at least with orchestral music. But even if there were a ton of plugs per track, either summing method should work fine.

I will concede that my BTD problems might be related to my ancient G5, which is getting long-in-the-tooth (shouldn't be a reason anyway). But even then, real-time recording has never ever failed me.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Where did this Topic go???? Totally off topic...

C´mon guys, get back on topic or start your own!!!

DP8 is on it's way now. :woohoo:
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

The One Horned Mothership still has DP7 up. Any day now!
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

My guess is it won't be released until next quarter in October. That might even be the beginning of MOTU's 2013 fiscal year, if they have their books set up that way. I don't know. If they need a bump in sales for 2012, they better hurry up.
DP10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Just to dispel any rumors, and to save some trouble if you actually try to order the DP8 upgrade right now, I just checked with MOTU, and it is definitely not shipping yet. If somehow you WERE able to place an order for an upgrade, you would receive DP 7.2. Chances are, they'd let you have the DP8 upgrade for the shipping cost if that happened, but that's my guess, not MOTU's words.

So, as much as we'd all like to see it arriving in the mail soon, it's not happening yet. Patience…

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Radiogal wrote:Where did this Topic go???? Totally off topic...

C´mon guys, get back on topic or start your own!!!

DP8 is on it's way now. :woohoo:

like we never go off topic! lol

I hope it's indeed coming soon............
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
MIDI Life Crisis

Radiogal wrote:Ordered DP7 Compatative Upgrade for a client of mine from my MOTU provider in Sweden. He wrote me back and said that MOTU will deliver DP8 instead as DP7 is not sold anymore. :) Conclusion? :D
He lied. Here you go:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DigPerf7cg

Order away!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS