MOTU PCIe-424 experiences in Windows 8 x64

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
billruys
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU PCIe-424 experiences in Windows 8 x64

Post by billruys »

So I've been running Sonar X1 on Windows 8 x64 for a couple of weeks now. Here's what I've found to date...

Windows 8 often crashes with an IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL error at boot time, which seems to relate to the MOTU drivers. If you reboot, more often than not the PC will boot OK and you are good to go.

The MOTU input/output pairs in Sonar are in random order which makes life quite messy, but I can work around it.

Windows 8 audio performance is equal or better than Windows 7. I've had one system lockup trying to adjust audio buffers on the MOTU.

So, yep, it works and works quite well, but the PCIe-424 drivers definitely need an update for full compatibility in with Windows 8.
DJ Synchro
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MOTU PCIe-424 experiences in Windows 8 x64

Post by DJ Synchro »

billruys wrote:So I've been running Sonar X1 on Windows 8 x64 for a couple of weeks now. Here's what I've found to date...

Windows 8 often crashes with an IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL error at boot time, which seems to relate to the MOTU drivers. If you reboot, more often than not the PC will boot OK and you are good to go.

The MOTU input/output pairs in Sonar are in random order which makes life quite messy, but I can work around it.

Windows 8 audio performance is equal or better than Windows 7. I've had one system lockup trying to adjust audio buffers on the MOTU.

So, yep, it works and works quite well, but the PCIe-424 drivers definitely need an update for full compatibility in with Windows 8.
Same here. Have a PCI-424 connected to a 24IO. At cold boot it comes with a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen. After reboot, all works fine. The driver also prevents Windows 8 to resume from sleep, giving the same error. Hope this will be fixed soon! If anyone has a workaround, I'd be very interested in it!
LINKS: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Studio

GEAR LIST: Intel Core i7 3820 computer with 12GB Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz RAM. Asus P9X79 Motherboard. 3x Crucial M4 SSDin RAID 0. Dual Full HD monitors. PCI424 with MOTU 24IO. MOTU MIDI Express 128 USB. Steinberg Cubase Pro 8. Various VST plugins. Steinberg Houston DAW controller. Clavia Nord Rack 2x. Yamaha CS-1X. Behringer Eurodesk MX2442. Akai s2000 sampler. Roland MC-303 Groovebox. Various outboard.
billruys
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by billruys »

I have rolled back to Windows 7 x64 so that I don't have to deal with these driver problems. I will probably hold off now until MOTU has a certified Windows 8 driver.

I have to say, even after a few weeks, I am no fan of the Windows 8 UI - yuk! What were they thinking? :banghead:
DJ Synchro
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by DJ Synchro »

billruys wrote:I have to say, even after a few weeks, I am no fan of the Windows 8 UI - yuk! What were they thinking? :banghead:
Well, I have to disagree on that one. I like the fact that Microsoft had the guts to make a change. And after a day usage, I don't want to go back to Windows 7 at all! The way Windows 8 performs (apart from the driver thingy) is much better than it's predecessor. And when I bought my Windows Phone 8 handset and a new Windows 8 tablet, I'm gonna be the happiest man (tech geek :wink: ) on earth :headbang:
LINKS: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Studio

GEAR LIST: Intel Core i7 3820 computer with 12GB Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz RAM. Asus P9X79 Motherboard. 3x Crucial M4 SSDin RAID 0. Dual Full HD monitors. PCI424 with MOTU 24IO. MOTU MIDI Express 128 USB. Steinberg Cubase Pro 8. Various VST plugins. Steinberg Houston DAW controller. Clavia Nord Rack 2x. Yamaha CS-1X. Behringer Eurodesk MX2442. Akai s2000 sampler. Roland MC-303 Groovebox. Various outboard.