One hell of a confusion re: tempo change and automation

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

One hell of a confusion re: tempo change and automation

Post by toodamnhip »

I have just sped a track up 3 bpm.
I sped it up in an external waveform editor.
The song was fully mixed BEFORE I sped the audio.
Step 1 was to consolidate all audio to bar zero.
Step 2 sped the audio. This resulted in audio at 70 bpm while the original file was still at 67.
Step 3 was to change the tempo in DP from 67 to 70.
After doing so, all audio was still butting up to bar 1. This was what I wanted.

But Now that I have sped the audio up, I am suspecting that the automation is a bit off.

I experimented with locking or unlocking the audio track before changing the tempo in DP and it seems best to have the audio un locked.

It is hard to know exactly what is going on, this is a very complex mix.

I did an experiment where I put an audio file into a new file and made very precise automation points up against the audio.
In that experiment it seems that no mater if a track is locked or not, the automation points never move when changing DPs tempo.

This would seem to indicate that DP does not shrikn or expand it automation to match faster or slower tempos.

Help!!
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
toodamnhip

Re: One hell of a confusion re: tempo change and automation

Post by toodamnhip »

I think I have the answer but would still love to hear members thoughts.
It seems like the automation does not appear to move when you slow or speed a file, but this is only an illusion.
For ex: If I pencil in a vol 0 at bar 3, beat one, and a vol 127 at bar 4 and then double the tempo of the song, the automation does not appear to shrink as audio does. It looks like the size of the automation stayed the same but this is an illusion. What is really happening is the pulse/tempo of the song is going by twice as fast. So even though the automation points look the same, they are occurring twice as fast.
So when speeding audio and then speeding the file, the automation, while not appearing to change graphically, is moving faster and slower RELATIVELY.
Whew!
And is also seems that “lock” on the audio has no real effect on this.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Re: One hell of a confusion re: tempo change and automation

Post by toodamnhip »

Further experiments show that have a track locked is important. If a track is lock prior to changing tempo, I think the automation gets off.
This would indicate the following as the proper method:
1) Speed up audio
2) make sure track are unlocked prior to speeding up metronome and tempo in DP.
3) Speed up DP’s tempo.

Comments?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13