ProVerb vs other convo verbs

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Steve Steele
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

ProVerb vs other convo verbs

Post by Steve Steele »

It seems that all convo verbs all basically the same, The differences being in 1) IRs (which can mainly be shared), 2) features (Waves IR-1 has was many more features than QP Spaces, but both are great - the EQ on the waves is a good feature), and 3) interface, (and I suppose the programming behind the plugin as far as sound quality and efficiency are major factors too).

That being said, is ProVerb equal to AltiVerb, Spaces, Waves IR-1, etc...? Or am I missing something? It seems convo's are just engines. The IRs and parameter settings makes the difference. Right?

Or are some noticeably different in quality and/or sound.

I'd love to buy AltiVerb (great interface and everything else), but I already own IR-1 and ProVerb.

I know IRs can't do everything (I've got my Algorithmic verbs too), but as a someone who loves sound design, I love em.

I got a question about MachFive 3 as a sound design tool, but taken it over there.

Thanks!

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
Shooshie

Re: ProVerb vs other convo verbs

Post by Shooshie »

I own all three, and I can use them all. I know their interfaces. Yet IMO, none compare to Altiverb. It's just a matter of what you want, what you prefer, where your comfort level is. But Altiverb is a seriously advanced piece of equipment.

If you can't afford Altiverb, or just don't want to get another reverb, then the ones you have will do just fine. You won't miss the features you haven't used in Altiverb, at least not until you use them.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I agree! It's like comparing (almost literally) two different soft samplers capable of playing the same sample sets -- you're getting roughly about the same quality of sound, but the controls and details may be much more refined on one over the other.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Understood. That's what I thought. Supposedly Altiverb 7 is less taxing on the CPU then past versions. Have you guys found that to be the case?

Have my eye on Speakerphone and Cabinet as well.

Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

nightwatch wrote:Understood. That's what I thought. Supposedly Altiverb 7 is less taxing on the CPU then past versions. Have you guys found that to be the case?

Have my eye on Speakerphone and Cabinet as well.
I have a slow machine and Altiverb (as auxiliary inserts) has always run pretty reliably for me, about as well as most quality algorithm 'verbs do. I don't use them per channel, like many people on here do, so I have no idea what the CPU hit would be if you opened ten instances or anything.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Todzilla »

I only have ProVerb, but I know it sounds so much better with the Bricasti IR's than any of the stock stuff.
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
taka

Post by taka »

Hi Todzilla, how did you get Bricasti IRs recognised by Proverb? I placed it as my other IRs in ~/Library/Application Support/MOTU/Proverb/User but those folders(24/44.1 WAVs) didn't come up in Proverb...

Thx! Taka**
DP11.3, OS 13.6.3, Mac Mini 2018 6 core 3.2GHz i7 32GB RAM
Slate, Waves, Soundtoys, GRM Tools, Audio Ease etc etc..
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Todzilla wrote:I only have ProVerb, but I know it sounds so much better with the Bricasti IR's than any of the stock stuff.
Yeah, I'd be interested to check that out too.

Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Todzilla »

taka wrote:Hi Todzilla, how did you get Bricasti IRs recognised by Proverb? I placed it as my other IRs in ~/Library/Application Support/MOTU/Proverb/User but those folders(24/44.1 WAVs) didn't come up in Proverb...

Thx! Taka**
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=42508

I think this is the link I used for some trial and error....
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
taka

Post by taka »

Thanks Todzilla--

Basically, for the IRs that work, Proverb creates Node.xml and NodeInfo_local.xml files inside each IR folder, but it doesn't do it for some reason for some IRs (including the Bricasti IRs) Does anyone know what's making the difference?

Taka**
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

I wonder about this as well. As stated in the other post it makes a separate L and R folder for these IR's. Is this the position in the spaces?
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
taka

Post by taka »

Hi cbergm7210 , I find that if I use MOTU Application Support Folder in ~/Library rather than /Library , that problem doesn't occur--

Taka*
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

taka wrote:Hi cbergm7210 , I find that if I use MOTU Application Support Folder in ~/Library rather than /Library , that problem doesn't occur--

Taka*
Hi Taka,

I don't understand, though. Is not the only way to import the IR's is to drag them into ProVerb's screen?
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com