VSL VEPRO5

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
brolly
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

VSL VEPRO5

Post by brolly »

Hi guys, me again.
I'm trawling the archives here & on the VSL site & have just upgraded to version 5.
Here's the question.
Can I run more than one instance of VEP5 on a slave machine?
brolly
FMiguelez

Re: VSL VEPRO5

Post by FMiguelez »

You can run as many as your computer can hold. And they will open automatically the moment you open the DP session.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
brolly

Post by brolly »

Hi Fernando, i'm guessing they would be in standalone mode on the slave.
Do you run one giant VEP5 or lot's of smaller ones?
brolly
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Hey, Brolly.
No. Not in stand alone mode. They are all "connected" to DP (using the Preserve function).

What I do is I have one instance per orchestral family (spread in different slaves), and more instances for other stuff as needed, i.e., I'll have a special instance for Stylus and MachFive 3 which compliments the orchestral ones, etc.

You can certainly have only one giant instance, but I find it easier to manage smaller ones (in VE Pro and in DP), especially if they have things like Kontakt or MF3, but this is related to my workflow.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Sorry. Thinking about it, they ARE in Stand Alone mode in the slaves, since It's the only app opened there. So in that sense they are Stand Alone.