Using VNC and an ad hoc wifi network

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

gseibert
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Using VNC and an ad hoc wifi network

Post by gseibert »

I am trying to set up a remote session between my iPad2 and my new MacMini running Lion. I have an app called VNC Viewer that I bought for the iPad. I want to use an ad hoc network connection instead of a wifi router because I will be using the MacMini as a workstation running Mainstage during live performances and hoped to use my iPad as the screen display, and not carry around a video monitor or a wifi router. Anyone have a asuggestion how to set up the Mac and iPad networking? Any help is appreciated.
2020 iMac 10 core 32 g ram, Catalina, DP11.04, UA Apollo X4, MTP/av usb, Komplete Ultimate 13,Albion One, BBCSO Core, TX81Z, SPX90, Digitech Studio Quad v2, Tascam DA20 mkII, Alesis ADAT, Roland s750, Mackie line mixer, Korg Z1, Roland A80, DX7, Kurzweil K2500X, Kurzweil K2000R, Kurzweil PC3, Korg 168rc Event 20/20 bas, Mini-Moog, EMS Synthi aks
bad andy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Using VNC and an ad hoc wifi network

Post by bad andy »

On the Mini, start by going to the airport menu, and select CREATE NETWORK...

Establish a network name and password - then you can join that network on the iPad. Routerless connection to your mini. Should get you started. Then you need to hit SHARING control panel on the mini and make sure SCREEN SHARING is on. You may need to additionally click into COMPUTER SETTINGS... from this screen to adjust password control of the mini for VNC viewers.

Been awhile since I messed with the VNC implementation on MAC and it's changed somewhat throughout the OS's. But it's all built-in and ready to go now. Good luck.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Using VNC and an ad hoc wifi network

Post by mikehalloran »

I agree that WiFi should be more robust than Bluetooth in this case. Depending on the protocols involved, you may have to enable other functions besides screen sharing.

Before I got a Time Capsule installed, my daughters did all sorts of cool things while creating an ad hoc network with my wife's computer.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro