Latency, Direct Hardware Play through

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jbyerly1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by jbyerly1 »

I went through the manual looking for answers. Found it interesting that it almost says latency is normal.

Is there a setting I'm not finding to allow "direct hardware play through". It defaults to "Monitor record-enabled through effects and will not let me select the other. It is grayed out. Is this an Apogee thing or a DP preset

On the Hardware setup. What is the lowest buffer DP will allow for recording audio and how does the Host multiplier effect these settings.

For what ever reason I was fighting Latency issues yesterday and every setting in Audio Patch Through gave me the same results. End up setting my buffer really low and that helped.

What will happen if Auto-compensate for plug-ins is disabled.

Is there a thread I did not find or a source that would direct me on useful ways of setting these different parameters of options on the configure studio settings and configure hardware settings. I will gladly do my own research if someone has a place to start even if it's about other daws

I know I'm asking a whole bunch of different subjects here but the user guide is not very helpful especially with the grayed out Direct hardware button under the input monitoring mode

I swear that gremlins come in and re-arrange my settings on my recording chain when I'm not looking.
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm guessing direct hardware play through might apply only to MOTU PCI-424 based audio interfaces?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rodger1811

Re: Latency, Direct Hardware Play through

Post by rodger1811 »

James Steele wrote:I'm guessing direct hardware play through might apply only to MOTU PCI-424 based audio interfaces?
Yep......
Mid 2012 Mac Pro 12 Core 2.4GHz, 24G RAM, OSX 10.8.2, DP 8.01
4x2 TB Hard Drives
APOGEE Symphony
MOTU 2408 mk3
MOTU HD192/Black Lion Modified
MOTU 24I/Ox2
MOTU MIDI Timepiece
Universal Audio UAD-2 Quad x 2
Universal Audio (Entire Plugin Library)
Waves Mercury+ Studio Classics
Tons of other goodies; to many to mention here
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

You know... I gotta say, there's a few things I like about the PCIe based solutions. One of which is that I only recently learned that CueMix on Firewire systems can only work across ONE hardware device at once. For example you can't monitor 8 inputs on one interface and 2 on a second one at the near zero latency. PCI-424 based systems don't have that limitation.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

rodger1811 wrote:
James Steele wrote:I'm guessing direct hardware play through might apply only to MOTU PCI-424 based audio interfaces?
Yep......
It works with my UltraLight as well.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
rodger1811

Post by rodger1811 »

James Steele wrote:You know... I gotta say, there's a few things I like about the PCIe based solutions. One of which is that I only recently learned that CueMix on Firewire systems can only work across ONE hardware device at once. For example you can't monitor 8 inputs on one interface and 2 on a second one at the near zero latency. PCI-424 based systems don't have that limitation.
I didn't know that!!!! Wow.... Just a few days ago, I purchased a brand new Mac Pro 12-Core to replace my 2008 8-Core machine. I was rather disappointed that the so called update to the Mac Pro wasn't a major redesign or at least have a Thunderbolt port. But when I thought about it, I concluded that it really didn't matter quite so much for me because I'm entirely MOTU PCI based anyway and I'm not planning on really needing USB 3. I've considered making the change over to some of MOTU's new interfaces primarily because of the FX that are included with CueMix, but if I can't get near zero latency with more than one interface, that's a DEAL BREAKER for me..... I'm good with my PCI based system and a 2012 12-core Mac Pro even if it doesn't have Thunderbolt! :woohoo:
4x2 TB Hard Drives
APOGEE Symphony
MOTU 2408 mk3
MOTU 24I/Ox2
MOTU MIDI Timepiece
rodger1811

Post by rodger1811 »

666 wrote:
rodger1811 wrote:
Yep......
It works with my UltraLight as well.
Yeah, it would make sense that it would work with any of MOTU's hardware now that I think about it.... :)
4x2 TB Hard Drives
APOGEE Symphony
MOTU 2408 mk3
MOTU 24I/Ox2
MOTU MIDI Timepiece
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

rodger1811 wrote:
666 wrote:It works with my UltraLight as well.
Yeah, it would make sense that it would work with any of MOTU's hardware now that I think about it.... :)
Oops... I apologize if I was incorrect about this. I was shooting from the hip. CueMix works, but I was just wondering if the "direct hardware playthrough" option inside DP, was only PCI-424 only?

Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

James Steele wrote:
rodger1811 wrote:
666 wrote:It works with my UltraLight as well.
CueMix works, but I was just wondering if the "direct hardware playthrough" option inside DP, was only PCI-424 only?
Yes, Direct Hardware Playthrough is an available feature within DP when using the UltraLite. Sorry about my last post. I tried quoting from my phone and messed it up. :oops:
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
KarlSutton

Post by KarlSutton »

James Steele wrote:You know... I gotta say, there's a few things I like about the PCIe based solutions. One of which is that I only recently learned that CueMix on Firewire systems can only work across ONE hardware device at once. For example you can't monitor 8 inputs on one interface and 2 on a second one at the near zero latency. PCI-424 based systems don't have that limitation.
Do you know if this is true if you're using the ADAT input? Let's say with an 828mkii and an 8pre going into the 828's ADAT?
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

KarlSutton wrote:
Do you know if this is true if you're using the ADAT input? Let's say with an 828mkii and an 8pre going into the 828's ADAT?
No clue. I just know it had to do with using 8 analog inputs one one FW interface and 2 on the other.

jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

Any opinions on the lowest buffer size for recording audio and a explanation on how the multiplier works within DP. Is this all about ram allocation?
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

jbyerly1 wrote:Any opinions on the lowest buffer size for recording audio and a explanation on how the multiplier works within DP. Is this all about ram allocation?
AFAIK, the host buffer multiplier is supposed to equal the number of audio DRIVERS that are in use, so most of the time that's one. Some people think it means how many interfaces are connected, to the computer, but for example, if you're using all MOTU interfaces there's only one driver being used.

You'll notice the more you lower your buffer, the latency will be reduced but your computer will work harder. But the solution to monitoring inputs with almost zero latency is using the separate CueMix app.

Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

James Steele wrote:
jbyerly1 wrote:Any opinions on the lowest buffer size for recording audio and a explanation on how the multiplier works within DP. Is this all about ram allocation?
AFAIK, the host buffer multiplier is supposed to equal the number of audio DRIVERS that are in use, so most of the time that's one. Some people think it means how many interfaces are connected, to the computer, but for example, if you're using all MOTU interfaces there's only one driver being used.

You'll notice the more you lower your buffer, the latency will be reduced but your computer will work harder. But the solution to monitoring inputs with almost zero latency is using the separate CueMix app.
All great info James gave you here. Does your Apogee interface have any kind of direct monitoring software like Cuemix? For instance, I use RME's PCI interfaces and they have TotalMix, so there's no worry about lowering buffer settings when recording audio, it's always set to 1024. I turn Audio Patch Thru off.

If I actually have to monitor through a record-enabled track, the buffer is usually set to 64. Sometimes you can get away with 128, if it's a slower song or part, but anything with speed or a tighter feel needs 64, for most players.
DP10.13
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

Apogee has maestro but there manual is pretty week as far as latency issues. It gives you the ability to set up different mixes and change settings etc. I'm going to try some diff things tonight with it to see if I'm missing something