Is DVI/Firewire the only way to output video?

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
xsound
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Is DVI/Firewire the only way to output video?

Post by xsound »

Greetings,

I would like to synchronize videos with Audio inside DP and output the video and audio out of the same computer (i7 Dual core Mac Book Pro) for live performances. For what I understand, the only way to output the video is using the Firewire port. Is this correct? Can I play it out of the VGI port (through the DVI port in the mac)?

I guess I could connect the Audio interface to the USB port (instead of the Firewire) and use the Firewire for the video.

Please let me know your recommendations. Thanks in advance.
stephentayler
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is DVI/Firewire the only way to output video?

Post by stephentayler »

Hang around for DP8 - soon we hope - the video implementation is going to be much better so you can output full screen video to any computer monitor in HD. As you say, the current full screen option is only available through FW to a DV device at standard definition.

This is going to make a huge difference!!

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
HarmonicMotion

Post by HarmonicMotion »

I'm confused, doesn't your macbook pro have a mini DV port? I run my video screen out to an external monitor using the DV port and my audio out through an 828 using firewire every day. So no, audio does not run out of the mini DV (mac didn't make this possible with mini DV) but runs in sync with the 828. Even if you didn't have an interface, you could just run audio out of your 8th" out.

I use this for film scoring sessions where we conduct large ensembles in the studio to the DP sequence with punches and streamers on it.

I'm not outputting both through the same output, but it's from the same computer.

Let me know if this even begins to solve your problem.
xsound
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by xsound »

Thanks for your reply!! This would be great; I am going to test this out. I do have a mini DVI port on my Mac pro and have an ultra lite interface.

I will let you know.