Drawing fader automation

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Drawing fader automation

Post by Dan Worley »

How do I quickly draw a dip (like on a syllable, for example) in the fader automation without having to add four automation points, one at a time, and then lowering the middle two? Please tell me there's a way to have the syllable highlighted and then draw the dip in with just one move. I seem to remember being able to do this, but if that's true, I've since forgotten how.

What are your methods for doing this?

Many thanks.

DP10.13
Buzzy

Re: Drawing fader automation

Post by Buzzy »

I too would like to know :?: :D

In the mean time Dan what I do do (doodoo?) is highlight a dip (all 4 points) copy & paste wherever I may need a dip then modify as required. Saves some time anyway.
.Bzz...

Mac Pro 6 Core-10.14.6-32GB | DP 10 | 828mkII fw | Receptor 1&2 |Reason 10.2 | Goliath | EWQLSO Gold | QL RA | Voices of Passion | Ocean Way Drums Platinum | SSD-EX | Chris Hein Horns 1&2 | Komplete 12 | AAS - Ultra Analog | BS Accordions | Nomad Factory Integral Bundle | WaveArts Power Suite 5 | Izotope Music Production 3 | Variax 600| TD-8 Drums ||STUDIO››|| MacPro QuadCore-2.66-10.4.11-8GB | 828mk3 fw | 8Pre fw (X2)| MC Mix (X3) MC Control ||
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Thanks for that, Buzzy. That's clever.

I've been experimenting. If I set the Reshape Flavor to "Square" and the Reshape Action to "Set" and then use the Reshape Tool, I can draw dips and peaks fairly fast. It takes some getting used to, and sometimes it gets stubborn and wants to stay flat right on the line. But I may be able to work with this, barring something better coming along.
DP10.13
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Actually, this is working fairly well. Set the Reshape tools up as I described in my post above, then switch back to the Pointer tool if you like (I like using the Pointer tool with the Cursor Selection Mode set to "All" in the Tools' preferences).

When you're ready to draw in a dip, just hold down the "R" key and place the tool under the automation line and draw the desired length and adjust up or down. Then when you release the "R" key, it will switch back to the Pointer tool and you can adjust the points as needed.

This is good for short dips. If you drag too far it will start drawing the next half of the cycle.

Oh, I found out the cycles are dependent on the resolution of the grid, even if "snap to grid" is off. So if you set the grid to a quarter note, you can draw as short of a dip as you want, but if the length goes beyond a quarter note the other half of the cycle will start drawing. I found if I set the grid to a half note that gives me the room I need for most things.
Last edited by Dan Worley on Thu May 31, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DP10.13
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

easy,, just make sure you choose "Volume" in the SE window for that track and hold down the P for pencil and draw.
Once you get a nice little "V" drawn you can copy it and merge it as many times as you want.
if you paste the data you will delete the audio in that section. Merge is what you want to do.

Dan

watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-OEDDq28OE
Last edited by dpdan on Thu May 31, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Something I just noticed: If I drag the Reshape tool right to left, I can adjust the height as I draw, which is great. If I draw left to right, I cannot adjust the height, it will stay the height of where I first clicked no matter how much I move the tool up or down.
Last edited by Dan Worley on Thu May 31, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP10.13
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

Hi Dan, watch the toot I just did for you :D
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

dpdan wrote:Hi Dan, watch the toot I just did for you :D
Thanks, Dan. I really appreciate that! I just watched it. I always always always forget about Merge. I don't know why I can't remember it. Thank you!

As far as the Pencil tool is concerned, I've tried it before, of course, but when I drag it, it always writes in way too many points and then I have this huge mess on my hands when I go to adjust the dip. Maybe there's a setting that controls that. Continuous Data maybe? I'll have to check.

This is what I end up with when I use the Pencil tool to draw in a dip. That's just too much. I think it's because of the input device, which is a Magic Trackpad.

Thanks again.
DP10.13
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
I use various methods depending on source & workflow.
1. Automation as you are doing.
2. Separate and soundbite volume.
3. Split and use a fade in (for S's & P's for example).

I like the copy / paste method, it's the quickest.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
bdr

Post by bdr »

You can select/create 2 points and then choose the trim tool and drag up and down.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

bdr wrote:You can select/create 2 points and then choose the trim tool and drag up and down.
Just tried that. Very elegant solution! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Don T wrote:Hello,
I use various methods depending on source & workflow.
1. Automation as you are doing.
2. Separate and soundbite volume.
3. Split and use a fade in (for S's & P's for example).
I've used all three of those, except I use Bite Gain instead of Bite Volume.

Thanks.
DP10.13
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

bdr wrote:You can select/create 2 points and then choose the trim tool and drag up and down.
Thanks! That's pretty cool if the points are already drawn in.

Try this you guys:

- Reshape Flavor = Square
- Reshape Action = Set
- Set the Grid to half or whole notes (this just gives you some room when you're dragging before the next cycle starts. BTW, it doesn't matter if the grid is on or off, this still has an effect).
- Select the Reshape tool or hit the "R" key.
- Click under the automation line and drag right to left and adjust the height as you go. Strangely enough, If you drag left to right you cannot adjust the height.

This is the fastest method I've found so far.
DP10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Go Dan the Man! :dance:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

I would not worry about all the little black dots so much as long as the end result is what you want... I was helping a friend of mine running DP and I said to him...
"don't get your panties in a wad over numbers". He's the kind of guy that wants to control everything by numeric values but has finally realized, in the end, the sound is what matters. Believe it or not I converted him :)

Dan