Nomad plug-ins: British Bundle v1.2 "No-Brainer"

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ramadev
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Nomad plug-ins: British Bundle v1.2 "No-Brainer"

Post by ramadev »

AudioMIDI is having a brief sale on a Nomad plug-in bundle of (1) a "British-sounding" compressor and (2) a "British sounding" EQ; normally $149, it's only $20 for the next week or so (the offer ends 5/31/12). I bought it and slapped the comp on a drum kit submix, listened for 20 seconds (before I had to run out to a session), and I liked the sound – it added presence and fullness without compromising dynamic range or detail, and that was without my tweaking any settings at all.

I certainly haven't properly auditioned this, and I've yet to try the EQ. But I wanted to post this right away, so we can have a discussion before this deal evaporates.

Here's the link:

http://www.audiomidi.com/dp/B0085PTCDS

I had a bit of difficulty downloading the software with Firefox, but it went well with Safari.

If you check it out, let us know what you think.
Nehalem Dual QuadCore 3.2GHz/8GB/828/MTP AV/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/GuitarRig4/Drumagog/bx_XL/FG-X,RC-Tube,VTM/EventideOmnipressor/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/2GB/Traveler/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/bx_XL/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
Neumann,AKG,Earthworks,Soundelux mics/ManleyVoxBox/Avalon737/Amek9098/Genelec1031As
mikehalloran

Re: Nomad plug-ins: British Bundle v1.2 "No-Brainer"

Post by mikehalloran »

I'd been on the fence a few days and finally said, 'hell with it - only 20 bucks' and pulled the trigger.

I have not received the download instructions yet but I expect them in the next day or two.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ramadev

Post by ramadev »

mikehalloran wrote:I have not received the download instructions yet but I expect them in the next day or two.
I bought the bundle at 6:30 last night and got an initial reply at 8:10 PM with download instructions and links, but then I got an email this morning at 11:00 AM saying "New Serial: RBB-xxxx-xxxx, Disregard old serial."

I plugged the DSL/ethernet cable into my studio computer to perform the online authorization, did the authorizing, and then unplugged the cable before I restarted and rebooted DP. When I called up the plug, I got a message saying that I was still in demo mode! So I re-authorized the plugs (there is no limit on the number of authorizations on the same computer), rebooted everything again while leaving the ethernet/DSL cable connected, and now the plugs come up without the demo mode message. Looks like we need to stay connected to the 'net when we call up the plug for the first time...
Nehalem Dual QuadCore 3.2GHz/8GB/828/MTP AV/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/GuitarRig4/Drumagog/bx_XL/FG-X,RC-Tube,VTM/EventideOmnipressor/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/2GB/Traveler/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/bx_XL/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
Neumann,AKG,Earthworks,Soundelux mics/ManleyVoxBox/Avalon737/Amek9098/Genelec1031As
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

> Looks like we need to stay connected to the 'net when we call up the plug for the first time...<

AudioMidi.com downloads tend to do that.

It seems that every time I buy from them, I have to re-register as a new customer. It is not the greatest confidence builder in the world but I have never had a problem buying from them. The one time I had an issue (they charged me way too much on the CA Sales Tax), a call to their toll-free# got it resolved quickly.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
zed

Post by zed »

AudioMidi have great customer service. They'll take care of any issues.

They offer great deals too. The reason won't be jumping in on this is that I got it already a few years ago. I've almost reached the point where I have so many tools to work with that I'm not sure it would be worth $20 to add another compressor or EQ (or any other basic plug-in) to my line-up without some very good reason. These British sounding plugins do sound good... but I have to admit that I hardly ever use them, since I have so many options including the Abbey Road plugins which emulate the same hardware that these plugins are trying to mimic.

This is a budget solution to getting very similar results to what those more expensive plugins deliver.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I bought it, I love their stuff, always impressive.
20 bucks is definitely a no brainer
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I used the compressor on a male voice this morning. He has one of those voices that is very hard to place in a mix without a lot of compression. Neutral compressors do not get the job done. I have not finished tweaking the parameters yet but it looks promising. This might become his new best friend in the studio - if so, it's $20 very well spent even if I use it for nothing else.
zed

Post by zed »

mikehalloran wrote:I used the compressor on a male voice this morning. He has one of those voices that is very hard to place in a mix without a lot of compression. Neutral compressors do not get the job done. I have not finished tweaking the parameters yet but it looks promising. This might become his new best friend in the studio - if so, it's $20 very well spent even if I use it for nothing else.
It sure made the Beatles sound good!

Well of course they would have sounded good regardless. But I believe this compressor is modelled after some of that Abbey Road EMI gear, though Nomad Factory is not allowed to admit it.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8