Oh Yeah MOTU has GOT to incorporate this!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
csiaudio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

I knew it was just a matter of time. Hope there is a day when I can ditch the mouse and just use my hands to completely do audio ITB.

Check this out...cool huh?

https://live.leapmotion.com/
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Oh Yeah MOTU has GOT to incorporate this!

Post by James Steele »

Seen it. I also know that people at MOTU have seen it. Whether they're going to support it or not is anyone's guess, but you'd be surprised (or maybe not) at how much MOTU has their "ear to the ground" about new technology. By the time we've heard about it, someone there has already seen it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

That's excellent to hear - hopefully some thing will come of this!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Gee, all I have to do now with the trackpad is is move one to four fingers. That looks tiring. :wink:
DP10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Good for designers. Not all that useful for me personally. And it's like $70? My trackpad cost as much so if it works I'll get one, maybe, but my boats already afloat.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It would have to be a pretty slick implementation to convince me to abandon my magic track pad.

If one could get it to ape the function of the shift, option, return and enter keys with a thumb while the fingers were controlling sounds or notes, it could be quite useful for the handicapped (like me).

Looks like a good way to get some exercise, however...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Anybody who thinks this will replace mouse/trackpad/keyboard has never tried to play a perfectly-in-tune scale on a theremin... :D
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

OMgosh LOL aren't we a lazy, unimaginative group? Heaven forbid we have to move to do something. Maybe they'll come up with an elbow rest or say an oxygen tank for all of you - sound good? :wink:

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

csiaudio wrote:OMgosh LOL aren't we a lazy, unimaginative group? Heaven forbid we have to move to do something. Maybe they'll come up with an elbow rest or say an oxygen tank for all of you - sound good? :wink:
The tank idea sounds good but I'm not sure I want it filled with oxygen. Maybe we could have an intergalactic kegger or universal hookah-thon?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
csiaudio wrote:OMgosh LOL aren't we a lazy, unimaginative group? Heaven forbid we have to move to do something. Maybe they'll come up with an elbow rest or say an oxygen tank for all of you - sound good? :wink:
The tank idea sounds good but I'm not sure I want it filled with oxygen. Maybe we could have an intergalactic kegger or universal hookah-thon?

innovation I like ;)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

:lol:

I would like to conduct a virtual orchestra with that thing, though. Someone should make a game like that. I don't know, maybe they already have.
DP10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

My initial reaction was that this seems like it would be much more tiring. Why would I want to make big arm gestures instead of a small flick of the wrist like I do now? Of course if you've seen Iron Man movies, this looks like just the same kind of technology Tony Stark uses to interact with his holographic 3D displays. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

That DOES look cool. I can see myself getting one at some point just to play with it and have fun seeing what it can do, but I'm with others who think (at this point) that it may be a problem for people doing detail-intensive work all day long. It remains to be seen. But I'm definitely going to have to try it!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:

Now yer thinkin!

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Great possibilities for the "conductor" track, and air (guitar and drum) tracks.

But I don't see how it could be 100 times more accurate than a mouse which is already close to or at pixel accuracy.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8