Motu Microbook II

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
dfabj
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Motu Microbook II

Post by dfabj »

Hy there

I'm new here and got a question:

I've bought a Microbook II. I run it with an imac (os x lion) and Logic pro (newest update from appstore).

Everything seems to run well so far, but everytime I start the imac, the Microbook II (plugged in) "doesn't work". That means: all LEDs are on on top. When I open cue mix fx software the LEDs are blinking, still no sound, but some signalmetering on every channel.

When I plug it in again, it runs well. (I don't want to do this everytime I strat my i mac ;-))

Hope somebody can help in this situation.
Thanks
FutureLegends
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Motu Microbook II

Post by FutureLegends »

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately I have no help to offer. And as the MicroBook II just started shipping, I believe not many here have much experience with it yet either :?

How do you like it besides that issue?

/DZ
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
ssp

Post by ssp »

My production partner just bought one of the new microbook 2 interfaces and is having the same issue with his 2011 i7 17" macbook pro. Upon a reboot the internal relay clicks and all the led's on the interface light up and stay lit, the only way to make the interface work is to unplug the usb cable and re-insert it again.

I am going to get in touch with MOTU this week as this is part of our live rig we need it working correctly. To be sure we tested it on other MacBooks running lion and pre-lion software with the same results. Also with the interface connected to a powered hub with a psu above a 2-amp rating to make sure enough power was available.

If this is an issue we will have to return the unit which is a shame as the sound quality and size are perfect.

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
jpj2k

Post by jpj2k »

Same problem here. Pulling out usb cable and reconnecting without restart also works
jp
ritzybiz

Motu Microbook II

Post by ritzybiz »

I have a similar problem with an Apogee Duet 2. The display is blank until I replug the USB. Maybe it's an OSX problem. This is the problem on my Mac Pro, it works okay on my MacBook Pro
iMac 2019, 40 GB RAM
MacBook Pro, 16GB, OSX 10.11
DP10, Studio One, PT, Logic X, Sibelius, Live, Reason
Apogee Duet, Apogee Ensemble
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

ritzybiz wrote:I have a similar problem with an Apogee Duet 2. The display is blank until I replug the USB. Maybe it's an OSX problem. This is the problem on my Mac Pro, it works okay on my MacBook Pro
A clue?
In any case, I would alert MOTU Tech Support. If the computer is under warranty/Apple Care, I would put in a case with Apple, also.

I have found a bug in 10.7.4 that affected my day job. Though it is not related ("My" bug is specific to Preview and OS 10.7.4), engineering has been in touch and we are working on getting it resolved. In the third session, I learned of a workaround ("ok, let's try this") that made it a non-issue for me (scanning in Image Capture works great). The weird thing is that, according to Apple, I uncovered a bug that should affect everyone who scans with an HP scanner - possibly all scanners - but mine is the only support case.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ssp

Post by ssp »

I still have not heard anything back yet, I will try again later on. In the meantime i have built a usb reset button into a custom usb link cable for my friend, after booting he presses the button and this resets the bus and the microbook is picked up.

As soon as i know something I will let you know.

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
Sergievsky

Post by Sergievsky »

Ok, so it isn't just my Microbook2, good to know. Hope it gets resolved somehow. I would add that it works better with my newer 17" than my old one, which is what I bring to live shows, so I'm back to firewire ultralite on that one as it never fails. I've always been wary of USB interfaces though. Shame, because the size and convenience of the micro is perfect.
Raul
iMac Pro 3GHZ 10-core, 128GB RAM, 2TB hd, Big Sur
motu 8pre-es
steffensen

Post by steffensen »

Experiencing the same issue here. Any news on the matter yet?
Not keen on unplugging etc. every time i boot up my computer.