Lion or No?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
sdfalk
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Lion or No?

Post by sdfalk »

I keep a DP session with 50 mono tracks, various fx and Virtual Instruments as a benchmark
on My Dual I5 Macbook Pro/Quad i5 Imac.
There was almost no difference in CPU usage when I ran both sessions.
As in plus or minus 1 percentage point higher or lower…on Lion VS Snow leopard..
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I still think Lion is fine, no great leap forward, but not the dog that it's made out to be.

It's SL with baubles to make the cloud and the app store work, and some surface features that make it feel more like IOS. If you don't use the cloud or the app store, and you reverse the cosmetic IOS changes in preferences, it's difficult to tell what version of OS X you're using.

When you use DP, there's no way to tell the difference, except the way Spaces works. I don't use it for DP on my main audio setup simply because there's no good reason to until DP takes advantage of it.

My other Macs that can, are running it with no problems. They stay logged on, stable, with normal performance for weeks just like earlier versions of OS X.

There were some start up problems with Lion. If you tracked the reports, these were nearly all down to incompatibility with third party add-ons, and this is nothing new with Apple updates. And there were a couple of bone headed mistakes by Apple programmers, but these were not specific to Lion.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:What I would like to do is to actually upgrade my MBP to Lion, but it doesn't qualify... I've read about some people having done it, but it's a hack, and I don't like or trust hacks.
Really? A MBP? I have a 2005 MacBook that just squeaks by the minimum configuration required for Lion, Core 2 Duo and 2G RAM, and there was no hack required to put Lion on it, and no issues running it.
I bought my MacBook Pro in 2006. Its model is MacBookPro 1,2 (2.16 GHz).
Supposedly, the minimum you need to run Lion is an Intel Machine that is a Core 2 Duo (mine is only Intel Core duo).

I'd be delighted if I'm wrong or if I am under a misconception... please let me know! 8)
Killahurts wrote:So, it seems like there is a lot of disappointment with Lion out there.. I have to admit, I'm a little fearful for the Mac platform, or maybe a better word is "concerned." I'm still rockin with 10.6.8, but how long can it last?

Do you guys who have used Lion (and hated it) think there's any hope of it growing up to become an OS that rivals SL?

One has to think that if enough people hate it, Apple will do what it takes to return it to glory.. or maybe they just care about the new users/kids now?
I think a lot of the bad rap Lion has been getting is due to rumor and unfamiliarity with that OS. Some apps are not Lion-ready, but that's not Apple's fault.
A few people have complained about certain things being different and apparently inaccessible (such as getting to the Library folder), but all that is easily done if one takes the time to find out (there have been a few threads about changing this behaviour recently).

I haven't noticed anything I dislike about it. As far as I'm concerned it runs just like if it were Snow Leopard. No difference at all.
The only thing I could say that annoys me is the way Spaces work, but I haven't bothered changing the setting to make it behave the way I want. The icons in the Finder window are not as nice, but all this can be fixed and tweaked.

I think Lion is totally fine.
Last edited by FMiguelez on Mon May 14, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:I'd be delighted if I'm wrong or if I am under a misconception... please let me know!
No, you're right. I didn't know the MBP went back that far.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:I'd be delighted if I'm wrong or if I am under a misconception... please let me know!
No, you're right. I didn't know the MBP went back that far.
I hate being right, then :(

But I don't get it. Your MBP is a year older than mine and you can run Lion on it? Is it a Core 2 Duo?
When I bought mine I thought it was the best MBP money could buy... :?

To be honest, the only reason I'd be interested in running Lion in my MBP is to be compatible with Apple's iCloud thing and to be sure it will last me a couple of more years before I inherit it to my parents. The most important apps I run there (OmniFocus, iLife, etc.) will probably take a while to stop Snow Leopard support, but you never now.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
James Steele
Site Administrator

Lion or No?

Post by James Steele »

Well let me clarify. I'm not phobic about Lion... it's just that I really didn't find anything compelling about it and for whatever reason I noticed a performance hit on my MacPro 1,1. Not much in terms of DP projects, but I felt a very tiny bit of overall lack of immediacy system wide clicking buttons and interacting with the UI.

Perhaps the key factor is I have a lot of older apps that I don't particularly want to update at this time. Finances are a little tight. After upgrading to Lion, many of them were broken. I just didn't want to not just pay upgrade fees, but install newer versions that are likely to be more bloated and sluggish on my six year old MacPro 1,1. If I had a newer 8 core machine, then maybe Lion would be no brainer. You can revert to the older feel which I did IMMEDIATELY with the Mail app!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:Your MBP is a year older than mine and you can run Lion on it? Is it a Core 2 Duo?
I might have the date of origin wrong, but it is an old Mac. I think it was the first Core 2 Duo available. I also have a Mini from 07 (bought after the MacBook) that is also a Core 2 Duo, and it would run Lion expect it only has 1G.
MIDI Life Crisis

Lion or No?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Given all that has been said, my answer remains: No!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Nooooooooooo…lol
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You KNOW you want to.
VitcoMusic

Lion or No?

Post by VitcoMusic »

It seems like there aren't many posts from DP users running Lion yet. Maybe that will change once our .mac accounts expire June 30th, and we're compelled to get Lion for the iCloud.

I'm about to get a 4th hard drive for my MP, install Lion, and run all my daily routines (except DP of course). Like I've said before, SL & DP are best friends - rock solid. I'm not gonna risk it. The SL volume stays for a while.

DV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra 64gb; Motif 8; Novation Summit, Yamaha MOXF6, Mach Five Three; Altiverb, UVI Stuff, Acoustic Legends; Plugsound Pro; Fender Strat; Stylus, Omnisphere 2.8, Trillian
MIDI Life Crisis

Lion or No?

Well that's kind of a point. Some of us don't give a rat's corn hole about iCloud. If performance isn't improved and it basically makes my Mac into a glorified mobile device, then... No!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Well that's kind of a point. Some of us don't give a rat's corn hole about iCloud. If performance isn't improved and it basically makes my Mac into a glorified mobile device, then... No!
…I usually don't get into these kinds of debates…but it doesn't turn it into a glorified mobile
device (for me), it just includes functionality from the mobile devices which you can choose to use or
ignore..
Does that mean it was worth the upgrade price..perhaps not, but from a professional,
(not a consumer iPhone like rational) I find some of the additional features useful..
You're certainly entitled to your opinion though. :)
MIDI Life Crisis

Well aside from iCloud, what features are useful? Again, the only thing I like is full screen and MAYBE if DP and Finale go there, I'll consider it. But if I'm buying it to tweak it to look and act like SL, what's the point if I don't want the iCloud machine? Seriously, I WANT to like it and I want it to be cool, but it doesn't seem to offer anything but a way to consume time making it look like what I already have.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Agreed.

The only reasons to move to Lion, so far, are if you must (because you bought a new Mac that requires it), or if the software you use is no longer supported by Snow Leopard (which so far is not the case at all).

Other than iCloud-ready services, there is no advantage or disadvantage to use Lion. And to be honest, there's nothing really "cool" about it except for iOS device sync to the cloud, but that's moot to a lot of users here.

For my production machines, I'm perfectly happy using OSX's 3 flavors (one for each -Leo, SL and Lion). They are running great, and I'm not planning on upgrading to Lion for the ones that could use it.