Lion or No?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
strikingtwice
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Lion or No?

Post by strikingtwice »

How is everyone operating on Lion? I know .4 just came out, I was wondering if by now some of the performance issues and slowness that I was seeing on other people's computers was improved on. I'm running 6gb of ram on a 2.66 4-core 2009 mac pro.

I see Lion as bells and whistles, but I'm already anticipating a bunch of stuff not updating and getting boxed out of other upcoming programs and upgrades. I even already have a point upgrade from some little dumb utility i got from teh App store which I don't care about, but the writing is on the wall.

My general feeling based on what I've seen is that Lion is made really well for these new machines, but not as much on the older ones. Thanks for anyone's input.
David DeLizza
4-core nehalem macpro, 6 gb ram, dp5,6,7, motu 896hd, axiom61, reason 4, bunch o' plugs.
MIDI Life Crisis

Lion or No?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

No.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rikp

Re: Lion or No?

Post by rikp »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:No.
Have not made the jump yet. Won't until I ABSOLUTELY have to! :mumble:

Rik
http://www.coffeecupmusic.com
Mac Pro 8 Core 22 Gig RAM, 2 Hackintoshes, DP 8, ProTools 11, Logic X, Waves, Kontakt, Vienna Strings, EWQL Platinum, GPO, BFD, Omnishphere, Stylus RMX, Trilogy, Altiverb, DrumCore, EZ Drummer, LASS, HollyWoodwinds, and too much money spent on VI libraries.
MIDI Life Crisis

Lion or No?

A couple of guys here did the Lion dance and have regretted it. I guess it depends on compatibility.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
strikingtwice

Post by strikingtwice »

Hahaha MLC that's exactly what I was saying to myself. Just no. Classic response. Snow Leopard looks to be the last great operating system that Apple will make. Kind of disappointing.
David DeLizza
4-core nehalem macpro, 6 gb ram, dp5,6,7, motu 896hd, axiom61, reason 4, bunch o' plugs.
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Absolutely no problems with Lion here, smooth sailing. I like it.

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Lion is great, works faster and better than Snow Leopard, and now that it's been around for a while it plays nice with everything on my system. All that grousing about it looking or working like iOS? It doesn't. There are a couple utilities that work very much like iOS, but if you never use them it looks just like SL.

"Last great operating system?" Huh?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
kgdrum

Lion or No?

Post by kgdrum »

As of now I'm also happily parked in SnowLeopard(10.68).
For me there's really been no real need or desire to venture into the Lion den.
I agree sooner or later some upgrade will propel the inevitable march past SL.
I'm hoping Mountain Lion is to Lion as Snow Leopard was to Leopard thus making the move more palatable.
My OSX wish though a long shot is that Apple might develop 2 levels of OS,one for the casual iOS cloud oriented user & another more aimed towards pro users who want to be able to go under the hood easily, for tweaking more complex systems.
I do wonder if most of our Lion apprehensions are valid or is it the paradigm shift that bothers most of us.
I'm sure at some point Lion or Mountain Lion will be a great OS for most users,every OS needs several updates before everyone's happy.
How many users whether they're in Panther,Tiger,Leopard or Snow Leopard are in .00, .1 ,.3 versions?
I suspect the majority are using 10.39 or 10.4.1.1(was that the version?)10.58 or 10.68.
Lion is still IMO a kitten,not mature in the way I perceive a mature OS and I suspect that's a big reason for the quick transition towards Mountain Lion,maybe Apple is changing their direction & or approach that they couldn't do with the current OS as its presently designed or the spotted a limitation that they can't get past in Lion.
At some point users are going to have to upgrade & maybe Apples approach,odd as it might seem now, might make sense in the long run once the new approach has been implemented,accepted and matures to a point we just don't comprehend yet.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

You know there really isn't much more they can do for optimization going forward - it's pretty much bloat from here.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I don't like some of the features in Lion, but I'm adjusting to them. First of all, I had to turn off the iPad-scrolling direction thing. I actually was getting used to it, but then I tried it in DP, and it makes the faders run backward. Until MOTU/Apple get this straightened out, I'll have to use the option for the old scrolling direction. I'm just glad there IS an option.

This whole Cloud thing is confusing at first, but I'm starting to get used to it. I actually started using that stuff about this time last year. I was amazed when I found out that any entries into my address book or calendar on my iPad instantly show up on all my other computers, and that was one of the chief attractions to switching up to Lion.

Another thing that is easing the process is DropBox. It's FREAKING EASY to use, takes all the mystery out of the Cloud thing, and gives you a place to drop pictures that you want to post in forums like this.

Lion OS is where it's going, so you have two choices: get off the escalator and stay where you are forever more, gradually losing the ability to upgrade anything -- and I mean everything. Obsolescence is a lonely place. But that's one of your options. It's up to you. The other option is to go ahead and make the jump. You have to sooner or later if you choose anything other than obsolescence. Why not make it now? Don't get behind the techno-curve. It's a menacing tax the industry imposes on us for the privilege of forging ahead the abilities of these machines we use. I get nostalgic for the old days… until I realize how much harder it was to get anything done. We have such amazing setups these days, and it promises to keep getting more and more amazing. Stay with us, man!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

NazRat wrote:You know there really isn't much more they can do for optimization going forward - it's pretty much bloat from here.
Gee, I never met an Apple software engineer before.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

Gravity Jim wrote:
NazRat wrote:You know there really isn't much more they can do for optimization going forward - it's pretty much bloat from here.
Gee, I never met an Apple software engineer before.
?
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

No real problems to speak of…
Dozens of plugins now..

"Snow Leopard is the last great OS Apple makes.." Geez what melodrama :lol: :roll:
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

I guess I wold ask, what are you basing that statement on?
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
MIDI Life Crisis

Lion or No?

Shooshie wrote:.

Lion OS is where it's going, so you have two choices: get off the escalator and stay where you are forever more...
Forever more? I'm so screwed.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS