How do i LOCK (not SMTPE Lock but physically) Audio Tracks

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jonongmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How do i LOCK (not SMTPE Lock but physically) Audio Tracks

Post by jonongmusic »

Hi everyone,
I've used DP for a long time now and being 'fluent' in a few DAWs,
I have a question now that I can't seem to find a workaround for.

My main gripe/question right now is..

How do i 'physically' lock Audio tracks/stems in one place?
This is NOT locking to SMPTE and not with regards to conductor track, etc.
But more so that I don't accidentally touch a track while I'm editing and shift it a little bit.

In other DAWs when you lock a track, it locks it physically as well as to SMPTE, which.. makes sense if you know what i mean.
and you can't move those tracks around anymore.
But not in DP..

Am I missing something? I've searched high and low and typed sound bites instead of audio tracks, etc..

Thanks =)
Jon Ong
http://www.soundcloud.com/jon-ong-music
Film Composer/Arranger/Session Guitarist
Dp 7.24, Cubase 6, Logic Express 8, PT 8, Reason 5, Sibelius 6, Finale 2011..
VE PRO 5, Vienna Special Edition, Kontakt 4/5
Focusrite Saffire 24, PS8 Speakers, Beyerdynamic DT770s
MBPro 2011 with lots of RAM, OS X 10.7.2 Lion
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: How do i LOCK (not SMTPE Lock but physically) Audio Trac

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I don't think you;re missing anything. Lock in DP doesn't actually prevent editing in my experience either. What I will do when I know I want certain tracks untouched is select them and from the contextual menu, place them in a folder. Then I close the folder and forget about them.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
sprout

Post by sprout »

If I'm editing in the SE, I tend to use the track selector so I'm only viewing the tracks I'm working on, since if I can't see 'em, I can't edit or nudge them by mistake. I also often set user timestamps for sync soundbites, so if I nudge them inadvertently I can put them back in place quite easily.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 0SX10.6.8
UltraLite, DP7.24, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reason 4, Komplete 5, UC-33e, Oxygen49, Motif 6.
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Never was an issue for me either, but if you want to play it ultra-safe, you could duplicate the take, select the whole track and merge the audio. You'll get a new soundbite for the whole thing that has a timestamp and everything. If you select the track top to bottom it'll even start at the top of the sequence even if it's silence for a while, making it even safer. Your edits remain accessible on the original take. Just a thought.
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers