Moving to Lion

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Moving to Lion

Post by Gravity Jim »

rikp wrote:As usual, I will probably be the last to upgrade. My system is working fine right now and I have a ton of third party plugs running on a two Mac Pro system. Is there a list anywhere of what does and does not work with Lion?

Thanks!

Rik

If there was, it would be incomplete and raise as many questions as it answered. The best thing to do is smply check your list of plugs with their manufacturers.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stephentayler wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Now that AppleWorks docs open in Pages,
While this is true for word processing and spreadsheets, sadly there is no equivalent for the database documents..... without going to Filemaker or some such alternative, which would be a complete pain. This has been the only real casualty of my upgrade to Lion..... maybes time to reassess and update how we run our accounts and invoices here, but will keep a partition with SL around for security.

Stephen
I never created a database file in AW so I don't know the answer. I'm a longtime FileMaker user - I bought my Mac+ specifically to run FileMaker Plus in 1986. Hard to believe I paid $6,000 for that system including a 20MB HD, a tape backup and an ImageWriter II printer.

My wife still has MacWrite docs and I have a couple of ClarisDraw files so I keep a G4 with OS 9 and 10.4 in case I need access to them. Jam 6 and DP 4.61 are installed on that machine, too, but I never expect to use them again.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
macguy

Post by macguy »

Lion is a great OS I'd still just give it a few versions to iron out the kinks.
Some things you're used to will be different in 10.7. I have had better experiences just updating when the 10.x.5 or better's released.
Unless there's an application that I have to use for my work that requires an update, I usually just stay put because as you start using it, you may find some things are broken, but it's a crap shoot...
FWIW, it would take me a week to check every software I have for compatibility. I say if it's not broke why fix it? Some who own newer hardware have no choice, it's Lion or nothing so...
Rainman

Post by Rainman »

Everything's been running well for a couple of days now, a small glitch with a waves plug that wouldn't allow me to drag it around the screen, don't know why, all the others did. You'll see in my sig what software I'm using so folks can know these all work in Lion. Last night I backed everything up in Time Machine but I think I'm going to go CCC as you can boot from it. More to follow.
DP 10.0, UA Apollo Two, UA Octo, far too many plugs.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

>but I think I'm going to go CCC as you can boot from it.<

Just make a small boot partition on your Time Machine drive. Keep any disk/file recovery tools and maintenance utilities on it.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mikehalloran wrote:>Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired.<
I decided to resurrect this thread than begin a new one.

This and the ACL message have recently been dealt with in Lion 10.7.3 and 10.7.4. Repairing Permissions no longer pops them up when you do it again (supposedly - it worked for me, however).

If, however, you get these messages:
Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Rem ote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/pl.lproj/UIAgent.nib”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are drw-r--r-- .
Repaired “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/Rem ote Desktop Message.app/Contents/Resources/pl.lproj/UIAgent.nib..."

...and so on, you upgraded your OS from 10.6 - or even 10.5 - and Repair Permissions will not make these lines go away.

It is true that these messages do not indicate a problem. Still, it can be annoying.

The only way to make this go away is to do a clean install of 10.7.4. You can use a system disk or a DVD of the download, run the many updaters, then restore documents, applications and user info via Time Machine.

If you purchased 10.7 from the App Store, this way works nicely. It installs 10.7.4 and saves time by eliminating most upgrade downloads when you are done (there will be two small ones but that's it).

To do a Clean Install:

Back up to Time Machine or a Clone
Boot into Recovery HD (Hold ⌘R on Boot) or Hold the Option key and select Recovery HD
Select Disk Utility
Erase Macintosh HD ("You did back-up, right?")
Quit Disk Utility
Select Reinstall OS X Lion
When prompted, select Transfer Data from a Time Machine or other disk)

I had some time on my hands yesterday and did the above - twice. The first time, I restored 645GB from a Time Machine disk connected via eSATA - this took about two hours from start to finish. The second time, I restored from a TM disk connected via USB - about 7.5 hours total.

The first time I ran Repair Permissions, it took 3 minutes and popped up 4 lines to be repaired; the second time I ran it, the time was 2 min. and the screen was clean - first time since 10.5.4, I think.

I probably didn't fix anything but some functions are noticeably faster including Repair Permissions - it used to take 12-15 minutes on Lion.