Virtual Instruments and DP

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
infectiousbeat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by infectiousbeat »

Contemplating a purchase of East West Platinum virtual instruments. Anyone have a good experience working with DP on something comparable? I am making a gradual transition from synth racks to VI's, but I have limited resources at the moment. Limited meaning an intel 1.8gHz Imac with 4 gigs of ram. I have kontakt as my only virtual piece. Was thinking of running Kontakt, East West Platinum and Logic Pro 9 (since it is now $199) from a second computer just as a source for VI's. Make sense? Thoughts? Thanks very much.

Richard :headbang:
infectiousbeat.com
richard@infectiousbeat.com
Kubi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Virtual Instruments and DP

Post by Kubi »

If you have a second computer, I'd run VE Pro 5 from that to host VIs, instead of Logic.

Especially if you use it without a second Mac, your setup is indeed too limited to run what you have - you'd need at least twice the RAM to not choke on even small-ish files. Be sure your samples come from a drive separate from both your project and your OS/apps.

Even though it has a few stellar patches (low strings, low brass, some of the orch perc.), in addition to the mostly decent sounds and a few truly pathetic patches like the woodwinds, overall I'm not too keen on EastWest Platinum. There are now better options out there (including their own new libs) and, more importantly, there are a number of non-Play-but-Kontakt-based (read:more stable) options out there - Cinebrass, LA Scoring Strings, and a number more.
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
infectiousbeat

Post by infectiousbeat »

Thank you, that is very helpful info. This has been a stop and go process for me, so every bit of direction I get is another step on the way.
rhl
infectiousbeat.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Kubi wrote:If you have a second computer, I'd run VE Pro 5 from that to host VIs, instead of Logic.
+100000000000000000000

Here. Enjoy and drool, infectiousbeat. This has got to be one of the best written and most revolutionary software of late:

http://www.vsl.co.at/en/65/71/1988/1677.vsl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
infectiousbeat

Post by infectiousbeat »

Thanks for all of the useful info!

Now, to actually host soft samplers/synths on one machine and have it talk to another, what is required? I have two Imacs at my disposal - a 2.33 gHz and a 1.8 gHz. The 2.33 has 3 gigs of ram and the 1.8 has 4 gigs. Right now the 1.8 is running DP 7.24 and Kontakt. Which machine should do what, and how do I connect them? I do have a USB MOTU Timepiece AV along with an M-Audio Profire Lightbridge as a firewire interface. Possible?

I am looking to purchase LA Scoring Strings and Omnisphere in the near future.

I have storage drives also, perhaps for the libraries?

Many thanks,
Infectious
infectiousbeat.com
wrathy

Post by wrathy »

All you need is VEPro and an Ethernet cable. It's the easiest way to go.
I would reccomend getting more RAM. Esp. for LA Scoring Strings & Omnisphere.

Best.
MAIN: MacPro 3GHz 8 core, 18G RAM, OS 10.6.8 DP 7.24, 2408 Mk III, 2408 mk II, MIDI Express XT, UAD-1, SLAVE: MacPro 3GHz 4 core, 10 G RAM. Libraries: VSL :SE/SE+, App Strings, Woodwinds, Sonic Implants Strings, EWQLSO (platinum) StormDrum II, Ministry of Rock, Motu MX 4, MACH V, NI Komplete 6, w/ plenty o' sample libs, Triton Rack, TX 81Z, Yamaha WX7, assorted woodwinds, drums, Yamaha P22 Piano
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

infectiousbeat wrote:. . . Now, to actually host soft samplers/synths on one machine and have it talk to another, what is required? I have two Imacs at my disposal - a 2.33 gHz and a 1.8 gHz. The 2.33 has 3 gigs of ram and the 1.8 has 4 gigs. Right now the 1.8 is running DP 7.24 and Kontakt. Which machine should do what, and how do I connect them? I do have a USB MOTU Timepiece AV along with an M-Audio Profire Lightbridge as a firewire interface. Possible?

Many thanks,
Infectious
Here's another option to consider that worked well for me in the past. It seems like you have the basic gear available to you. Consider using MidiOverLan Cross Platform 3 (MOLCP 3) to communicate MIDI information to get things "singing". MOLCP3 works via the ethernet. This accomplishes the MIDI end of things. For the audio, simple connect the "outs" of one audio device (connected to your "slave" computer) into the "ins" of the other audio device (connected to your "master" computer) via the lightbridge (ADAT light channels, or whatever they're called now).

A similar set up worked like a charm for me. I had an old (and now dead) Dell Precision Workstation as one "slave" computer, a new (at the time) MBP computer as another "slave" computer and a MacPro as the "Master" computer. Each had its own MOTU audio device with ADAT light ports (in & out). All MIDI communication worked via the MOLCP3 program, via the ethernet ports of each computer. (MOLCP3 works on both Apple and PC computers.) There was negligible latency. Current versions of MOLCP3 seem quite stable, although it's a minor challenge configuring this program when first running it.

Personally, I'm trying to get away from the "Master/Slave" computer set-up. It's just part of my overall effort of simplifying my life. Besides, newer computers are quite powerful, now-a-days. Still, those aging computers are worth keeping. They can serve to function wonderfully as "archiving machines" as well as "slave" computers for MIDI sequencing/recording of larger orchestration projects. MOLCP3 can certainly help with this.

Finally. . . as others have pointed out. . . the more RAM, the better. I've had GREAT success in ordering products from "Other World Computers" (http://www.macsales.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) They seem to have all sorts of RAM for new and old iMacs:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac

Good luck with your decision. . . :)
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta 3); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

OSC in Plogue Bidule should allow hosting VIs in a second computer.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS