DP 6 Is Sequence Jumping

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ggm1960
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 6 Is Sequence Jumping

Post by ggm1960 »

I've used DP for a few years starting with ver. 5. I haven't actually used it much in the last year or so but have been using it lately again(ver. 6 still) and it's developed an extremely annoying habit. My main project before now had been for my live band where I had as many as 60 sequences (or chunks) within one project file and I don't recall ever having this problem.

In my current project I have three separate sequences and what happens is that I'll be trying to record into seq3 and suddenly something weird happens and I'll discover that I've been thrown back to seq1!
It's as if I hit a trigger or something while I'm playing the MIDI keyboard trying to record. Now I've never set anything up in commands or so forth to cause that kind of thing to happen that I know of. Has anyone ran into this problem? What can be done??

Greg
bdr

Re: DP 6 Is Sequence Jumping

Post by bdr »

From memory sometimes key triggers are automatically added to the commands window which could be causing the problem. Have you actually looked in the commands window to see if the sequences have had commands automatically added?
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
ggm1960

Post by ggm1960 »

bdr wrote:From memory sometimes key triggers are automatically added to the commands window which could be causing the problem. Have you actually looked in the commands window to see if the sequences have had commands automatically added?
I looked at the commands but couldn't see anything that triggered by a keyboard.
That problem is so trivial at the moment; I've just played in the best sax solo ever into a piece of music, went to delete a note and am now starring at the spinning beach ball of death knowing that as soon as I force a quit I'll lose the whole thing.
Damn You DP!
ggm1960

Post by ggm1960 »

Since I haven't used DP for a while it's hard to know what's causing my problems. Most the time it worked pretty well when I was using it for live band backing sequences. The main difference is probably that then I did all my MIDI work for external synths. Now I've been using more soft synths (SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonic, Lounge Lizzard) and I've always worried that they cause more strain on the computer as well as adding additional quirks.
wrathy

Post by wrathy »

Look in your audio files folder in the project folder for your sax solo. It might be there. If so, import into the project.

As for your DP troubles, move to 7. Its a great version, many say the most stable yet. I had plenty of problems with DP 6, although some users seemed to get it working ok.

Best.
MAIN: MacPro 3GHz 8 core, 18G RAM, OS 10.6.8 DP 7.24, 2408 Mk III, 2408 mk II, MIDI Express XT, UAD-1, SLAVE: MacPro 3GHz 4 core, 10 G RAM. Libraries: VSL :SE/SE+, App Strings, Woodwinds, Sonic Implants Strings, EWQLSO (platinum) StormDrum II, Ministry of Rock, Motu MX 4, MACH V, NI Komplete 6, w/ plenty o' sample libs, Triton Rack, TX 81Z, Yamaha WX7, assorted woodwinds, drums, Yamaha P22 Piano
ggm1960

Post by ggm1960 »

wrathy wrote:
As for your DP troubles, move to 7. Its a great version, many say the most stable yet. I had plenty of problems with DP 6, although some users seemed to get it working ok.

Best.
I've thought long and hard about switching to 7 but it will be another month at least because we are in the middle of moving to a new house.