TEST: 5 DAWs 5 MBP Optical O/P You better read this :)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kgdrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by kgdrum »

Voodoo Child ;)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You want a piece of me? Huh? Huh? :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jloeb

Re: TEST: 5 DAWs 5 MBP Optical O/P You better read this :)

Post by jloeb »

James Steele wrote:
jloeb wrote:This result has now been promoted from "isolated anecdote" to "multi-site study." :mrgreen:
:rofl: I dare you to go use that term on GS... no really... I dare ya! :rofl:
Done. Was as irritatingly provocative as possible.

And I'm glad we agreed beforehand that in return I get a free autographed custom Dean(TM) seven-string. :mrgreen:
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

toodamnhip wrote:It is very interesting to see the front edge of music actually being a return to the best things of the past...and one day, it will all be available on my wrist watch...lol...
This is mostly a phenomenon that is related to memory -- Baby Boomers' memory, mainly, but not limited to that group. Because we grew up on vinyl recordings, we remember that sound as "best." It's quite possible that a generation already exists who prefer digital, because they've never known anything other than that. What we call "warm," they might call "unfocused, blurred, and distorted." At some point, emulations of old analog gear will probably not be in great demand. Nor will it disappear, just that the broad appeal is more likely a product of a generation's memory of what they listened to when they were young.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:It is very interesting to see the front edge of music actually being a return to the best things of the past...and one day, it will all be available on my wrist watch...lol...
This is mostly a phenomenon that is related to memory -- Baby Boomers' memory, mainly, but not limited to that group. Because we grew up on vinyl recordings, we remember that sound as "best." It's quite possible that a generation already exists who prefer digital, because they've never known anything other than that. What we call "warm," they might call "unfocused, blurred, and distorted." At some point, emulations of old analog gear will probably not be in great demand. Nor will it disappear, just that the broad appeal is more likely a product of a generation's memory of what they listened to when they were young.

Shooshie
Well,
what I put on the radio, and what I hear from my fellow producers is that many of us are using "dirty" sounds like tube compression and even distorted vocals and sounds.
I am not hearing music become cleaner at all. (Well, maybe country music). So, while it may be digital. that sound is not the "SOUND" anyone seems to really want. "Digital" is the clean slate and amazing computerized playground that allows emulation backwards in time or not. It is freedom. Todays technology is waaay more a source of FREEDOM than it is a sought after sound. If anyone thinks analog is nostalgia, well, they can try to plug a guitar into an amp and play rock with a clean sound and see how happy they are...lol..Distortion IS tubes.

I am not sure if it was you shoosh, or another member that tried to make some sort of point about analog not sounding better and only some sort of nostalgia....
The qualities of Analog only being nostalgia?....
I say.BS!!!

When I run my neumanns through my LA 610's or my Fairchilds etc, I hear those tubes making a gorgeous warmth, or, what is technically known as some sort of harmonic distortion.
This is no imagination and no nostalgia..it sounds great when the magic threshold of a tube is hit just right for a particular purpose.
If one listens to old Sinatra records, and many others, there is a magic sound to those mics and tubes.

Today's digital is also cool, if one likes that sound.

The ability to mix the two at will is what today's music is all about.
The purpose to all of this yadda yadda talking we do here comes down to FREEDOM.
The freedom to create what one hears.
DP is just a tool for that.
That is the only reason any of this technical struggle exists, so that we may all create what our ears tell us to.

Whatever one chooses, it is nice to have the tools.
And, I see the whole technical music industry emulating analog sounds.
That is not memory or nostalgia, it is a highly sought after sound.
I use both. If I want a clean bell, or tine or guitar string, maybe I'd like a grace solid state, or one of the ssl lunch boxes.
But usually, I am using tube stuff.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

My take on the distortion of tubes, tape, records and plug-ins is that they create what we call a warm sound; this sound is a result of producing even harmonics and a rounded compression. Most people prefer this warm sound to the sharp clipping and odd harmonics of a transistor being over saturated. There is also the memory factor that people heard records or the distortion from tape decks and many producers continued to emulate that sound in the digital age. I received an email from Don’t Crack where they were selling some plug-ins today; one of the plug-ins was to emulate the classic tape machines of yester year.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

If we have learned anything from the merry-go-round of nostalgic and retro trends and referents in not only music but fashion, film and television, it is that the digital condition is one of perfect replicability and ageless media. New artists rocket to popularity with a sound that is recognizably from five decades ago. We replace the faces of our actors with those of their younger selves, or even of those long dead, with increasing accuracy. Following digital transfer, films and music from the past look like they could have been shot or recorded two weeks ago.

This is the postmodern condition in digital form: both time and space collapse; the past is ever-invading the present, eerily so. We live, in our most intimate spaces, with ghosts who sometimes are more vivid than we ourselves.

So the audio past, our reference point to the "classic," isn't going away anytime soon, perhaps never, or at least much more slowly than it has before.
MIDI Life Crisis

We live in the modern age, just as Copernicus lived in his modern age. The idea of "post modern" while great sounding is really meaningless. It essentially means 'the future' and none of us live in either the future or the past. There is only 'now.' Quantum mechanics is a beautiful thing. No? :)

BTW, I can only respond in the future to any responses you may have posted in the past. How ironic. ;)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

No, postmodern definitely doesn't mean "the future." It means an idea of the present and future that is different from the one we used to have back in the Modernist era (roughly through 1970; i.e., rationality leads to Progress).
MIDI Life Crisis

Only in the minds of some. Modern means now. It was applied to an art movement that has yet to be defined. Once future generations define it, both modern and post modern as we understand them will apply to future generations. That's just plain history.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You can always get back to modern from post modern via retro. And now that CERN has repeated the faster than light neutrino trip, we can all get answers to questions before we post them. Even those who believe in the here and now.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

bayswater wrote:You can always get back to modern from post modern via retro. And now that CERN has repeated the faster than light neutrino trip, we can all get answers to questions before we post them. Even those who believe in the here and now.
Off topic but have they?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Modern means now.
The word "modern" does also mean "now." But "modernism" is not the same thing as "modern": it was a way of looking at the present and future that went way beyond just art, and that occupies a particular place in history. ''Postmodernism" refers to the latter; it doesn't mean "post-now."

To be sure, there are still some unironic modernists walking around today. They're mostly in the physical sciences.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Michael Canavan wrote:
bayswater wrote:You can always get back to modern from post modern via retro. And now that CERN has repeated the faster than light neutrino trip, we can all get answers to questions before we post them. Even those who believe in the here and now.
I'm Scared!
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Do you have a link for that?

Faster than light is not possible, according to current QM. My understanding is that FTL is purely hypothetical.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman