It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Text Size

Learning DP

Moderators: James Steele, Shooshie

Forum rules
This forum is being developed and is intended as intended as a place to bring together various Digital Performer video tutorials. Currently only YouTube videos may be embedded using the [YouTube] BB code.

Learning DP

Postby mkoplin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:19 am

I've purchased and watched parts of the Macaudio DVD training, read parts of the DP Manual relevant to simple projects, searched this forum, looked at YouTube videos. What is the best way to learn DP for other users.
I'm considering taking a real course, but not sure where to go. Berklee dropped their DP course.
MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 4GB
Mac Pro, Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 2.8 GHz. 2 Processors, 8 Core, 6 GB

Digital Performer 7.2, M-Audio Axiom 25, Yamaha CVP 305
mkoplin

Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Learning DP

Postby MIDI Life Crisis » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:36 am

IMO its best to jump in and mess around with the program and refer to the manual when needed. If the manual doesn't give an answer or you can't find it, ask on this forum.
At least that has worked well for me.

Are you having a particularly hard time with any specific aspect you could verbalize? The program is pretty straight forward and the Getting Started guide spells out the basics quite well IMO.
_____________OS 10.9.2 • DP 64 bit • 8 core MP/20GB RAM • Track 16____________
MIDI Life Crisis

Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Learning DP

Postby FMiguelez » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:56 pm

+1
The Getting Started Guide has a few basic tutorials that introduce you to DP's most used and basic features. If you haven't done so yet, I strongly suggest you go through those (I think they are 2 or 3).

It will also teach you DP's terms and how it calls things (this will be useful for you to communicate with us, so we speak the same language).

After you go through the GSG, you will definitely be more comfortable with the program. Then you can do a few test projects and learn the more detailed stuff. The manual is great for this, and you can also ask away here once you do that.

If you have specific topics you want to talk about so you can get started, let us know. We are happy to help legit users who, after reading the relevant parts of the manual, still are stuck or confused about something, or simply wonder about workflow, etc.

You made the best choice by getting DP, BTW. I'm sure you will enjoy it and have lots of fun with it 8)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.9.2 / DP 8.06
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Platinum, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VE Pro, etc.

---------------------------

"There's random genetic variation, and non-random survival, and non-random reproduction, which is why, as the generations go by, animals get better at doing what they do. That is quintessentially non-random". ― Richard Dawkins
FMiguelez

Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Return to Digital Performer: Tutorial Videos