What's fair for an engineer/producer Spec deal with artist

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Timeline »

Many of you know who I am here but recently I started a project suppling engineering, production and studio to an artist. I set the rate at 50 bucks an hour guessing it will add up to about 12K in the end. I asked for 30% of the project income less publishing on his songs if a deal was offered for participation. Its just a spec production agreement.

What is a normal split and charge for such spec, no money deals here from a veteran like myself?

Thanks\GB
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I can't tell you what's usual in that specific instance, but I can offer a perspective on what's fair IMO.

For one, put yourself on the other side. What would it be worth for you to have someone do what you're doing? 5%? 10% 20% Maybe a fee plus a lower %?

Deals with support people can take all sorts of shapes and there's more to consider than money and points. Future projects together, creds, etc.

It always seems to be a balancing act in negotiating and a bit of fortune telling in the evaluation process. How well will the project do? How popular will the artist become?

No one knows the answer to this so it also becomes a leap of faith. I would say be sure to cover yourself financially for the time and technical work. Then decide how much risk you're willing to incur for the artistic efforts. Reconcile that with what your collaborator is willing to offer (and what value he/she is getting 'in kind' from you) and then get it all in writing.

Of course, that's just my opinion on how to deal with such matters.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Timeline

Re: What's fair for an engineer/producer Spec deal with arti

Post by Timeline »

Thanks MLC. I meet at 11 my time to finalize it. There are few out here that can produce studio level productions and many artists would love to have a deal like this so I have a bit higher stake. I have done 50/50 deals in LA though too on lesser artists than this guy. I'll post up one of the tunes were working on at http://www.eirec.com/LongRoad.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I did the score for this one. Tell me what ya think.

GB
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Thanks for posting GB. Nice tune and arrangement. Could use a real orchestra, but what VI couldn't? ☺ Good luck with that deal. Hope you make bundles of money.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Yea!