Another new Waves plug-in - MPX Master Tape

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by David Polich »

Likely a response to UAD's Studer, Waves has announced their new
MPX "Master Tape" plug-in, developed in association with Eddie Kramer:

http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=11702" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Makes more sense than the King's Microphones plug-in.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Another new Waves plug-in - MPX Master Tape

Post by waterstrum »

I've just started messing with it.
So far, it's sounding pretty cool.
Seems to be working well in DP.
All is well
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Has anyone tried it and compared it to a similar plug from Nomad Factory? (like Magnetic?)
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Hopefully, this will show up as part of the next Waves Mercury update ...
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
Xzault

Post by Xzault »

It is already included in the mercury bundle, if you use the woli updater :)
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

Shooshie wrote:Has anyone tried it and compared it to a similar plug from Nomad Factory? (like Magnetic?)
My question as well :-). It's going for a good price, and for a plugin like this, native is good to have instead of the UAD one (run out of instances quickly). I also have Magnetic, but the funny thing, it's almost too tweakable, so I'm never sure if I should use it on every track, since it leaves a definite color.

Something like Slate Digital seems to be ideal, as a tape machine would be the same for every track (unless there's something I'm missing about analog tape machines 8) ).

EDIT: Just realized it's modeled on an Ampex 1/4 inch tape machine - so maybe it's mainly for busses and masters?
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
scooter

Post by scooter »

I have the Mercury bundle, thanks for the heads up!!

scooter
Macbook Pro OS 10.12.6, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gig memory, Apollo Twin audio interface.
danworks

Post by danworks »

Very different fm Magnetic which I really like and use all the time. MPX is a specific plug, modeled over a particular Ampex machine and it tends to replicate as closer as possible that machine … and it really does it.

Magnetic is more general than MPX, it has valve and tapes color, add some basic EQ, has a limiter. Both great plugs considering what they do to the sound in terms of coloring it. The ideal would be to have both of them :)
"Leave the gun, take the cannolis …"

#1- MacPro-12Cores 3.3Ghz /64gig RAM/MacOS 10.13.6/DP10/VEP6/PCI-424
#2- MacPro-12Cores 3.3Ghz/64gig RAM/MacOS 10.10.5/VEP6

UAD2 and lots of software and plugs

Solo project here and on iTunes
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

Just got back from the studio - Sunday afternoon installation visit. Amongst other updates I installed the latest Mercury and played around with the MPX plug. I like it on the Master Fader. It added some very attractive colour to a piano/vocal track.
danworks: Very different fm Magnetic which I really like and use all the time. MPX is a specific plug, modeled over a particular Ampex machine and it tends to replicate as closer as possible that machine … and it really does it.

Magnetic is more general than MPX, it has valve and tapes color, add some basic EQ, has a limiter. Both great plugs considering what they do to the sound in terms of coloring it. The ideal would be to have both of them :)
+1 Dan. I find Magnetic is great on individual tracks and I'm pretty sure I'll use MPX on sub auxes and master tracks. :)
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Xzault wrote:It is already included in the mercury bundle, if you use the woli updater :)
Ha! They tricked me; I kept thinking I'd have to wait for the next overall Waves update (I have v8.6, which is the current version). I think I'll pass on the King's Microphone, though, unless I do a song or work on a movie where somebody has to address the British people ...
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Armageddon wrote:(I have v8.6, which is the current version).
The latest version is V8r7.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gotta say, haven't listened to MPX yet, but I'm a big fan of Magnetic. I used it on metal/hard rock on the master fader just before Slate FG-X.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

666 wrote:The latest version is V8r7.
The Waves' site says v8r6 http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=96, which is why I assumed it was still v8r6. I was able to download and install the MPX plug with no hassles, though.
James Steele wrote:Gotta say, haven't listened to MPX yet, but I'm a big fan of Magnetic. I used it on metal/hard rock on the master fader just before Slate FG-X.
It's ... a subtle plug, at least in a mastering context. I haven't played around with it on a mastering chain, yet, but running some finished mixes through it in Wave Editor does give it a little bit of a tape feel, yet nothing so dramatic that you'll be worried as to how it colors your sound. This plug makes a lot more sense when you discover that this is the final part of Eddie Kramer's mixing/mastering chain from the Seventies (the other two parts being the PIE compressor and the Helios console). I'm sure I'll get better results once I start playing around with it more ...
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Armageddon wrote:
666 wrote:The latest version is V8r7.
The Waves' site says v8r6 http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=96, which is why I assumed it was still v8r6..
You are correct. The update notes all refer to V8r6. However, if you download the standalone installer, the disk image says V8r7.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

666 wrote:You are correct. The update notes all refer to V8r6. However, if you download the standalone installer, the disk image says V8r7.
I never actually downloaded anything until just now -- I simply checked with the site (I think, after King's Microphone came out) and saw it was still at r6, so I never bothered to do a proper update check.