New Acoustic Guitar VI - Nice!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cbergm7210
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New Acoustic Guitar VI - Nice!!

Post by cbergm7210 »

Well...new to me...

:)

Picked this up today. Pretty freaking awesome going by my first cursory glance.

I own RealGuitar 2 and Pettinhouse and use them both extensively. This one is going to get some heavy, heavy use. If you use acoustic guitar VI's, I think you will get good mileage from this one as well.

It's very, very tweak-able and sounds great. Did I say it's very tweak-able?

(And on sale until the end of May)

http://www.orangetreesamples.com/evolut ... el-strings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
melenko
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: New Acoustic Guitar VI - Nice!!

Post by melenko »

Great! Especially for solo choruses, but not a word or demo about the strumming modes...
MacPro 2.66 - 8Go ram-10.6.2 /DP7.2/URS plugs/Kontakt4/PlugsoundPro/StylusRMX/EZDrummer/Superior/Altiverb/Ozone4/Sonnox/etc...Neve 8801/RME ffce 800
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Ah! It's finally released! I was wondering when Greg was going to finally put it out, he's been working on it now for years. I have Strawberry Electric, which is phenominal. Honestly, I don't have much use for accoustic these days, and even less for steel string (never did much care for the steel string dreadnaught sound), but if I were, I'd hit it. Now, if and when he comes out with a nylon, I'll have to really hold back from jumping at it.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

At first, I thought this was a new library, and was wondering why I didn't receive an email as I own most of their libraries!

It is somewhat new though, and I bought it on the strength of the demos, which thankfully were very indicative of how it performs in real projects.

I have already used this library in two projects where I was using MusicLab's RealGuitar before, but still use the latter for 12-string acoustic as I haven't found anything good enough yet in the sampling world to replace it in that function.

Based on the strength of this 6-string Martin library, I'm hoping Orange Tree will tackle the 12-string acoustic next!

I do have Vir2's Acoustic Legends, but it's one of their earlier products and a bit limited compared to their more recent fare. Maybe they'll do an update that makes use of what they learned doing Electri6ity.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Although the guitar library isn't brand-new, there IS a new product at their site that I did NOT receive an email about: TinyBox, a multi-octave Music Box -- $5 off at the moment, for $15.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

mhschmieder wrote:Although the guitar library isn't brand-new, there IS a new product at their site that I did NOT receive an email about: TinyBox, a multi-octave Music Box -- $5 off at the moment, for $15.

tinybox is beautiful! just bought it after hearing the demo's :love:
Also updated Pear Bass,great update!
I also picked up Greg's add on program for Kontakt: Mind Control.
It looks quite useful,I figure it will breath more life into many VI's I already have for use in Kontakt.
I am a big fan of Greg's libraries , imo he is one of the best developers in this realm as well being most accessible/helpful. Later when I have more $ I intend to get Steel String.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oh yeah, the Pear Upright Bass update was an unexpected surprise the other night!

Greg did some amazing scripting, completely transforming this library!

There are now eight genre-specific presets that account for the different uses of upright bass and how that affects articulation, sensitivity, and timbre.

I haven't had a chance to do any re-tracking with it yet -- and may not bother now that I have a full size acoustic upright bass on the way -- but will certainly try it out on future mock-ups, and did find in real-time that it was more performance-friendly than the earlier presets.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

melenko wrote:Great! Especially for solo choruses, but not a word or demo about the strumming modes...
I am quite curious about the strumming modes. I am quite particular about guitar - I used to be a pretty good player, especially rhythm and fingerpicking, and cannot play anymore.

I haven't used anything that sounded like a real player playing a real instrument. If this is the real deal, it would be worth the investment in Kontact IV and this. My goal is something that I could tweak into something that sounds like me.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It's the same "instrument" as Strawberry, more or less, in terms of programming and playability. So if you look at some of the discussions in the other thread, about the Strawberry electric guitar library, you might get some idea of whether the Steel String library meets your needs.

I haven't had a chance to delve into its strumming modes yet, but did try that aspect of Strawberry, with mixed results. I am guessing that when Greg updates the programming for Strawberry, he will do the same for Steel String. He stated in the other topic that he plans to simplify the workflow a bit.

Sound-wise, this is now my favourite acoustic guitar library, and it seems to do the best job of creating continuous phrases that don't sound so much like you triggered from a keyboard. This is especially noticeable on fast repeated notes and chords.

melenko

Post by melenko »

mikehalloran wrote: I haven't used anything that sounded like a real player playing a real instrument. If this is the real deal, it would be worth the investment in Kontact IV and this. My goal is something that I could tweak into something that sounds like me.
Precisely, in Kontakt, the strumming modes are not that perfect, with their own ac.guit.
In some circumstances, it's pleasant to play ac.guit via the keys and get a good result.
I don't strum on an electric guitar like on an acoustic one.
So, I'll check it out.
MacPro 2.66 - 8Go ram-10.6.2 /DP7.2/URS plugs/Kontakt4/PlugsoundPro/StylusRMX/EZDrummer/Superior/Altiverb/Ozone4/Sonnox/etc...Neve 8801/RME ffce 800
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

well I have been hesitant in getting Steel String Acoustic,Greg just made the decision a bit easier..............

" At Orange Tree Samples, we're dedicated to bringing you high-quality, yet affordable sample libraries.

We're excited to introduce a new competitive crossgrade discount plan for our Evolution Acoustic Guitar Steel Strings and Evolution Acoustic Guitar Steel Strings and Evolution Electric Guitar Strawberry sample libraries for KONTAKT. These competitive crossgrade discounts give you $40 USD OFF on the electric and acoustic guitar libraries. Essentially, if you own any of the listed libraries (links to details are below), you are eligible for this $40 OFF discount. You can read the details about these discounts on the following pages:

Evolution Acoustic Guitar Steel Strings - Competitive Crossgrade Discount

Evolution Electric Guitar Strawberry - Competitive Crossgrade Discount

If you haven't heard the demos for these extensive guitar libraries, here are a few of the main ones:

Steel Strings Acoustic Guitar - Bar None
Strawberry Electric Guitar - Slithery Tattoo

Of course, these just scratch the surface of the different articulations and styles these two guitar libraries are capable of playing. You can check out the product pages for Evolution Acoustic Guitar Steel Strings and Evolution Electric Guitar Strawberry for more information and to listen to additional audio demos.

As always, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me. We look forward to bringing you many more great sample libraries!

Greg

:woohoo:
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I don't know if I automatically got the discount silently then or not????

melenko

Post by melenko »

kgdrum wrote:well I have been hesitant in getting Steel String Acoustic,Greg just made the decision a bit easier..............

" At Orange Tree Samples, we're dedicated to bringing you high-quality, yet affordable sample libraries.

We're excited to introduce a new competitive crossgrade discount plan for our Evolution Acoustic Guitar Steel Strings and Evolution Acoustic Guitar Steel Strings and Evolution Electric Guitar Strawberry sample libraries for KONTAKT. These competitive crossgrade discounts give you $40 USD OFF on the electric and acoustic guitar libraries. Essentially, if you own any of the listed libraries (links to details are below), you are eligible for this $40 OFF discount. You can read the details about these discounts on the following pages:

Evolution Acoustic Guitar Steel Strings - Competitive Crossgrade Discount

Evolution Electric Guitar Strawberry - Competitive Crossgrade Discount

If you haven't heard the demos for these extensive guitar libraries, here are a few of the main ones:

Steel Strings Acoustic Guitar - Bar None
Strawberry Electric Guitar - Slithery Tattoo

Of course, these just scratch the surface of the different articulations and styles these two guitar libraries are capable of playing. You can check out the product pages for Evolution Acoustic Guitar Steel Strings and Evolution Electric Guitar Strawberry for more information and to listen to additional audio demos.

As always, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me. We look forward to bringing you many more great sample libraries!

Greg

:woohoo:
Well it gives us no answer about what we were asking.
But thank's to remind us the promo's.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Well I can't tell how this will work within your expectations,we all have different perspectives.I don't have the library but a few people who have it have said it is very good and a few users have said it is the best sounding acoustic guitar library they have,as well as easy to tweak.
I think the nature of any guitar VI will be as good as the users ability mixed with the limitations of any guitar library.I never expect any guitar or bass VI to be as good as a great player.I also prefer a real string section or Orchestra over any VI but what we can do with these is pretty astonishing and getting better all of the time.......
I have never found any VI that was perfect,it might be my own limitations or the limitations of the VI concept generally speaking but having a home studio introduces the reality that you must make the most of our limitations,environment and skills.
I have heard great results from users more skilled than me and I guess that's what keeps me trying.....I would rather have the real thing but w/ some work this library sounds like another great tool for the palette from a gifted developer. :wink:
melenko

Post by melenko »

Don't misunderstand me. It sounds great!!