DROBO and DP?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
richardein
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DROBO and DP?

Post by richardein »

Anyone have any recent experience using DROBO storage technology with DP? Is it possible to use it as if it were just a drive, or is it only usable for backup?

(A few years ago, people were only using DROBO for backup, but that was before FW 800 was available on it)
Richard Einhorn

MacBook Pro 2019, Motu M4, EWQLSO Play Platinum Plus, Ivory, Kontakt 5, Izotope Ozone, Izotope RX, Omnisphere other plug-ins, instruments, etc. that are used less often. StudioLogic SL88 Grand
carrythebanner

Re: DROBO and DP?

Post by carrythebanner »

What filesystem do the disks use? If it's anything other than HFS+, I'd keep your DP projects away from it.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
richardein

Post by richardein »

That is a very good question, I will ask them. I think it is the same as the computer platform you are using, so for the mac it would be HFS plus.
Richard Einhorn

MacBook Pro 2019, Motu M4, EWQLSO Play Platinum Plus, Ivory, Kontakt 5, Izotope Ozone, Izotope RX, Omnisphere other plug-ins, instruments, etc. that are used less often. StudioLogic SL88 Grand
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

I was considering one of these and started reading reviews. The DROBO has a proprietary data storage strategy and formats from firmware version to firmware version vary. Read the reviews on Amazon to see people complaining about this. The other knock I've read is that the access times are kind of slow.

Here is a decent discussion of various alternatives.

http://ask.metafilter.com/162069/Which- ... r-home-use" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.