mastering audio for iPhone apps

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
Douglas Nagel
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

mastering audio for iPhone apps

Post by Douglas Nagel »

Hello all,

Does anyone have any suggestions for mastering audio for iPhone apps/games/etc? A friend of mine who works in app development came to me with an audio problem. He had created a sound in GarageBand for use in an app, and when he played it back over the iPhone external speaker, it sounded distorted. I'm guessing it's a limitation of the smaller speakers that cause the distortion. He had me take a crack at it and I tried limiting, compressing, etc, and couldn't fix the problem. I basically ended up telling him "pick a different sound" (he used some synth patch in GB). I've looked around the web and haven't found a whole lot of info on this subject. Anyone have any experience/insights into this?

Thanks!
Emily02
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: mastering audio for iPhone apps

Post by Emily02 »

If investment in the development of iPhone applications is high, performance will be high. IPhone users in general are operating in this segment soon. They are usually businessmen and senior management level or higher. These people do not like wasting time, money and energy that goes to the mall in the center of the city or town. These people want to order any of the iPhone using.

iphone 5 cases
amergin

Post by amergin »

Feste wrote:Hello all,

Does anyone have any suggestions for mastering audio for iPhone apps/games/etc? A friend of mine who works in app development came to me with an audio problem. He had created a sound in GarageBand for use in an app, and when he played it back over the iPhone external speaker, it sounded distorted. I'm guessing it's a limitation of the smaller speakers that cause the distortion. He had me take a crack at it and I tried limiting, compressing, etc, and couldn't fix the problem. I basically ended up telling him "pick a different sound" (he used some synth patch in GB). I've looked around the web and haven't found a whole lot of info on this subject. Anyone have any experience/insights into this?

Thanks!
I'd say it's an EQ issue by the sound of it. Try taking out anything below about 100hz and see if that's the problem. There are a number of plugins which will replicate these bass frequencies higher up the spectrum for smaller speakers so you still get a semblance of bass.
27" iMac, MOTU 828mk2, 10.6, DP7, Melodyne etc, etc.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I've been doing some music for iDevice gaming... Let me ask you:

How is your friend authoring the app (is he using a dev engine like Unity, or doing it straight up in C++)? What format was the sound in when incorporated into the app (MP3 or other)? Was it exported directly from GB to that format?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]