Motu MIDI Express XT discontinued? Clockworks for Intel Mac?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
cjacoby78
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Motu MIDI Express XT discontinued? Clockworks for Intel Mac?

Post by cjacoby78 »

Dear all,

First let me apologize if I ask questions that have already been asked and answered, but unfortunately I couldn't find them on this forum.

So here we go:
1. Is the Motu MIDI Express XT USB being discontinued? Tried to find it on my favorite online shops - but everywhere it's marked as discontinued. Any similar product by any other brand also seems to be discontinued - looks like people all do their routing directly on the PC/Mac nowadays ...

2. I finally found a unit on eBay, and downloaded the latest OS X drivers and Clockworks from motu.com - however I had to install Rosetta to make Clockworks work! Isn't it supported natively on Intel-Macs? Will it ever be? As Apple plans not to include Rosetta in Lion (OS X 10.7) anymore ... Any clues?

Thanks for your answers!
CJ
1nput0utput
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Motu MIDI Express XT discontinued? Clockworks for Intel

Post by 1nput0utput »

I think the MIDI Express XT has been out of production for a few years now. ClockWorks was never updated to be an Intel CPU-native or Universal Binary program, so it has always required Rosetta to work on Macs with Intel CPUs. I suppose that if MOTU wants ClockWorks to keep working in Mac OS X v10.7, then they will have to update it to be Intel-native or Universal Binary.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
cjacoby78
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Motu MIDI Express XT discontinued? Clockworks for Intel

Post by cjacoby78 »

Thanks 1nput0utput,

I also got a word from an official at MOTU - his statement comes close to yours: the XT as been discontinued for 3 years and he has no information about plans to port Clockworks to Lion. Doesn't sound exciting - any ideas of a product from another brand product that works natively on an Intel Mac and that has the same or similar functionality as the XT?

Thanks,
CJ