Longevity of PCI-424e card

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
tikibars
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Longevity of PCI-424e card

Post by tikibars »

Hi all.

Having just bought a new Mac Pro to replace my geriatric G-series Mac, I am about to upgrade my equally ancient MOTU core system, via the $295 upgrade option offered on the MOTU web site. They'll replace my crusty PCI-324 with the newer PCI-424e.

Looking at this card on-line, I see that it was released in 2006.

Given that this product is already five years old, I am wondering if anyone has any insight on MOTU's plans to release a newer PCI card in the near future.

I can wait a bit longer to upgrade my system if there will be something more state-of-the-art around the corner.

Seems like after five years, they might have something new waiting in the wings right about now.

thanks for any insight.
cheers -

James T.
http://www.tydirium.net
n2mpujack

Re: Longevity of PCI-424e card

Post by n2mpujack »

tikibars wrote:Hi all.

Having just bought a new Mac Pro to replace my geriatric G-series Mac, I am about to upgrade my equally ancient MOTU core system, via the $295 upgrade option offered on the MOTU web site. They'll replace my crusty PCI-324 with the newer PCI-424e.

Looking at this card on-line, I see that it was released in 2006.

Given that this product is already five years old, I am wondering if anyone has any insight on MOTU's plans to release a newer PCI card in the near future.

I can wait a bit longer to upgrade my system if there will be something more state-of-the-art around the corner.

Seems like after five years, they might have something new waiting in the wings right about now.

thanks for any insight.
Why upgrade something that works? Hardware is hardware so until the pcie spec changes, chip availability becomes a problem or a faster computer buss comes along I sincerely doubt that a new version of the pcie 424 is coming out at all. The only thing that really needs to be updated at any time is the software to run the card.

My advice - by what you need now and make music with it.