DP Control App

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
AnthonyS
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP Control App

Post by AnthonyS »

Wow. So I was just perusing MOTU's website and came across this DP control app(FREE!) for iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad

Looks really cool. I see it works on 3G iPod touch. Does this mean it also works for 4G iPod touch as well? Guess I'll D/L and find out! It should...

http://www.motu.com/products/software/d ... ntrol.html
MacBook Pro 15" 2G QuadCore i7,8G RAM, 20"Intel iMac 2.4Ghz , 4G RAM.OSX 10.8.3 on both, DP 7.24, MOTU 828MK3, AudioBox 1818, KRK Rokit 6G2, Omnisphere 1.5, Komplete 8, Amplitube 2&3, SampleTank, Sonik Synth2, SampleMoog, SampleTron, Ivory 2, Philharmonik, EWQL MOR, SC, SOG, SD2, Reason 6, Waves, McDSP, Slate Digital VCC, FGX, Sound Toys.
stephentayler
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Control App

Post by stephentayler »

Yes, it is a great app!

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

I use it all the time when I'm tracking my Upright Bass in the booth...
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
buzzsmith

DP Control App

Post by buzzsmith »

+1

I use it when playing and recording my upstairs grand.

Amazing little app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I also use it just to have a reference to SMPTE and/or measure numbers when I cannot see the main monitor. Absolutely great! I hear it's even better on an iPad! I have an iPad but have not needed to use it with DP yet.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I also use it just to have a reference to SMPTE and/or measure numbers when I cannot see the main monitor. Absolutely great! I hear it's even better on an iPad! I have an iPad but have not needed to use it with DP yet.
I'm really hoping MOTU makes a iPad optimized version of DP Control. Right now, it just runs the iPhone app magnified. An iPad specific version would be great. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

I haven't tried it. It doesn't run on the iPad or doesn't have a dedicated iPad app?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I haven't tried it. It doesn't run on the iPad or doesn't have a dedicated iPad app?
Oh no... it runs fine n the iPad. It's just that it's no specifically designed for iPad, so it doesn't use all the increased screen resolution of the iPad. In other words, you're simply running the iPhone version on the iPad, and then you hit the little (2X) button that appears at the lower right when you run iPhone apps on iPad that is basically a pixel-doubler. It just blows up the iPhone screen larger to fill the iPad screen.

I'd love to see a version of DP Control made *specifically* for the iPad. In theory it could allow more faders per screen. I'd also kill to have at least basic tansport controls AND faders on the same screen at once. The extra real estate available on the iPad screen could make this possible.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

... and maybe a level control for the Mac... never mind... :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:... and maybe a level control for the Mac... never mind... :)
:rofl: :headbang:

bdr

Post by bdr »

James Steele wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I haven't tried it. It doesn't run on the iPad or doesn't have a dedicated iPad app?
Oh no... it runs fine n the iPad. It's just that it's no specifically designed for iPad, so it doesn't use all the increased screen resolution of the iPad. In other words, you're simply running the iPhone version on the iPad, and then you hit the little (2X) button that appears at the lower right when you run iPhone apps on iPad that is basically a pixel-doubler. It just blows up the iPhone screen larger to fill the iPad screen.

I'd love to see a version of DP Control made *specifically* for the iPad. In theory it could allow more faders per screen. I'd also kill to have at least basic tansport controls AND faders on the same screen at once. The extra real estate available on the iPad screen could make this possible.

+1, having the transport and faders on the same screen would be super duper.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've been using DP Control on my iPad. This thing quickly jumped up into the category of "essentials." Geez! But I learned something today. I've got a dual speed wireless router. If you don't know about dual speed routers, here is a little bit from the built-in help pages from the router:

Mode
  • Wireless Mode:

Select the desired wireless mode. The options are:

Up to 54 Mbps - Legacy Mode with maximum speed of up to 54 Mbps for b/g networks.
    Up to 130 Mbps - Neighbor Friendly Mode, with a speed up to 130 Mbps in presence of neighboring wireless networks.
    Up to 300 Mbps - Performance Mode - Maximum Wireless-N speed up to 300 Mbps.
    The 2.4GHz (b/g/n) default is Up to 130Mbps, which allows all 11b and 11g and 11n wireless stations. The 5GHz (a/n) default is Up to 300Mbps, which allows all 11a and 11n wireless stations.
So, back when I was setting this up, I saw the 300 Mbps mode, and not really knowing what it was, I set it up, too. I figured it wouldn't apply to anything I do (seems like advanced wireless settings never affect me) but when I was setting up my iPad, I noticed that it asked if I wanted to join that network. Of course I said yes, but didn't really know if it made any big difference.

I'm happy to say that it does! Today I was using DP Control, and I noticed that the counter on it was stuttering, not keeping up with the music. I wondered if maybe somehow I was on the slower WIFI network. Sure enough, because I'd been experimenting with other control apps for the iPad, I had somehow managed to join only the 150 Mpbs wireless network. I merely selected the 300 Mbps network, and all was golden again! So, it really DOES make a difference, and if you've got a dual-band wireless router, be sure to set up that faster band, and be sure to JOIN it. Also makes internet faster, of course.

When running on 300 Mbps band, the DP Control App for the iPad is like using the controls on your monitor. They are fluid and instantaneous, giving you the feel that you are operating on a dedicated remote control, hardwired into your Mac. This thing is really great!

Just thought I'd throw that in. I didn't really ever stop to think that there was so much difference between the two bands of WIFI. The one is double the speed of the other! Four times that of the original WIFI of Airport. It's fast enough for live chatting with FaceTime, and has a range that enables me to go out in the yard with it and easily keep chatting with real-time video. But the difference in performance of DP Control is worth all the cost and trouble. (none of which I remember being much more than usual)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
labman

Post by labman »

Shooshie wrote:I've been using DP Control on my iPad. This thing quickly jumped up into the category of "essentials." Geez! But I learned something today. I've got a dual speed wireless router. If you don't know about dual speed routers, here is a little bit from the built-in help pages from the router: ...

Shooshie

Nice timely tips for us Shooshie. Thank you. We just replaced an old airport express with a new airport extreme which does the dual band thing. Will have to put your info to use this week.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I haven't set it up on my iPad yet but I do have a dual-band Airport so that is good to know.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
martian

Post by martian »

this is causing me to drool with jealousy!!!!!!

you guys can make this even greener for me by letting me know if it is better on the ipad?

I been using it on the iphone and the basic transport is excellent!!!!!! saved me soooo much time

seems the faders are to small for my fingers on the phone tho..

I found that if I held a fader in "position" it would act like I let it go after a few secs ( ie touch mode )

hows this in ipad land?? my HUI just went to heaven - so u see my predicament!!! need flyiing faders!

I swear I was on the way to buy an ipad 1when my friend told me to wait as ipad2 announcement.. cant get them here now - no stock!!!! ( or if can no 3g only wifi mode )

I just saw a demo unit of a Euphonics locally so thats my other option ( need to try it first thos ). but seems a bit expensive compared and not so flexible )
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com