Cover me, boys, I'm goin' in (to Pro Tools, that is)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by David Polich »

I finally grew tired of trying to explain to clients how to export audio and MIDI files from Pro Tools so I can open them in DP..I ordered
Pro Tools 9 from Sweetwater on Friday.

I'm only going to use PT9 to open the Pro Tools projects people send me,
do the exports myself and then load them to DP so I can mix there.
I have been continuously astounded at the number of Pro Tools users (including "experienced" engineers) who have no clue how to export audio and MIDI from PT. And even when I have explained to them "export the audio files from bar 1 beat 1 tick 1" I still get audio files that were not exported this way, with no time stamp, and I have no clue where they are actually supposed to begin. A number of PT engineers have told me they didn't even know what a Standard MIDI File Type 1 was.

I feel like a traitor, making this move, but with more PT projects coming
in for mixing I just had to do it. Please forgive me..
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

They won't learn how to because they of course are superior using PT and all-- thus it's your job to accommodate them. And you will. And I understand and don't blame you.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
kassonica

Re: Cover me, boys, I'm goin' in (to Pro Tools, that is)

Post by kassonica »

cue deep reverbed voice from high up in the DP heavens, "I forgive you son as they know what not they use"......

I have a version of tools for such things, gets used very little without guilt as I know who my first and only love is.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

kassonica wrote:cue deep reverbed voice from high up in the DP heavens, "I forgive you son as they know what not they use"......
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

... or how to properly use them!
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
AnthonyS
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by AnthonyS »

No...don't...must...resist.....the.....siren's....song......
MacBook Pro 15" 2G QuadCore i7,8G RAM, 20"Intel iMac 2.4Ghz , 4G RAM.OSX 10.8.3 on both, DP 7.24, MOTU 828MK3, AudioBox 1818, KRK Rokit 6G2, Omnisphere 1.5, Komplete 8, Amplitube 2&3, SampleTank, Sonik Synth2, SampleMoog, SampleTron, Ivory 2, Philharmonik, EWQL MOR, SC, SOG, SD2, Reason 6, Waves, McDSP, Slate Digital VCC, FGX, Sound Toys.
rodger1811

Post by rodger1811 »

I had to do the exact same thing....... It's a shame but it is what it is. :banghead:
Mid 2012 Mac Pro 12 Core 2.4GHz, 24G RAM, OSX 10.8.2, DP 8.01
4x2 TB Hard Drives
APOGEE Symphony
MOTU 2408 mk3
MOTU HD192/Black Lion Modified
MOTU 24I/Ox2
MOTU MIDI Timepiece
Universal Audio UAD-2 Quad x 2
Universal Audio (Entire Plugin Library)
Waves Mercury+ Studio Classics
Tons of other goodies; to many to mention here
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Yeah, been thinking about going that route myself, as I'm seeing PT projects come in more often. The thing is though, people are coming to me to "fix" the mix. I tell them DP's the way to go for that. :wink:

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
fullertime

Post by fullertime »

I did the exact same thing last year... Seriously amazed at the phenomenon myself too:) I guess MOTU users are just smarter:) I open Protools about 4 times a year:)
FULLER - Raleigh/Durham, NC

"You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do."
--------------------
MacPro 3gHz 8-Core 16 GRam// OS 10.7.5 // ApogeePSX 100 // MOTU896 // MOTU Audio Express // DP8.01 //
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

I do the same thing, and now when I finish a song in DP, I export all the audio tracks to Protools with the MIDI tempo map as well, so I can give the engineer a rough mix of what the song is supposed to be (worse than using PT is how it is used, or abused in some of the mixes I've heard of my songs...). We coddle them all... and they are so oblivious to it 8) 8)
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I guess I'm lucky. Audio mostly goes OUT the door in my studio. Oh, I get the "you're using Pro Tools, right?" all the time in post and layback, but I never seem to have to import PT sessions.

Funny thing, last week I was in a layback session and the tech (a fine musician in his own right working for a major recording firm in LA) was laying back my tracks and mentioned how great the piano sound was and asked what I used (PC2/x from Kurzweil which sounds 'OK' to me but I'm usually on an acoustic grand). Anyway, that's what he uses and it has never sounded as good to him. He attributed it to my playing. I was thinking "yeah, well, maybe but it could also be DP?"

I didn't say that. We were sitting on one of them high end PT controller consoles. Very fancy and I was impressed, but watching him work, I realized I do the same thing as he does, in a studio that costs about 1% of the cost and with far fewer keystrokes and way fewer reaches for menus, lists, logs, and technical mind vaulting.

Oh, and BTW, PT did crash at least once in the session, requiring a restart of the Mac. Warmed my cockles, it did... :)

I believe this was the console he was using - or something at least that high end...

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BobK

Post by BobK »

I saw one of them things last fall at a fancy studio in downtown SF - I think it's the ICON (Integrated Console). If you have a hundred grand (or whatever) burning a hole in your pocket, and the space for such a big thing, I can imagine how it'd be nice to have such extensive integrated hardware control of your DAW. (And there's a cool light-show demo too!)

As for PT: A few years ago I picked up a Digi 002R. A band I was co-leading had just cut basic tracks in a studio with Pro Tools, and I was going to engineer overdubs and edit at home. Without a copy of PT, we would've had to pay for hours of studio time to go through all the takes and export the keepers to DP (there was an entire CD worth of songs). I thought it made sense to instead put that money toward the OO2R (and I got a deal on an open-box special).

I never got as comfortable with PTLE as I am with DP, and as soon as PT9 was released I picked up a copy and sold the 002R. But I'm glad to have it around. I've even earned a few extra bucks converting PT projects for DP-using friends.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.5
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 14.4 via Open Core Legacy Patcher
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
n2mpujack

Post by n2mpujack »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I guess I'm lucky. Audio mostly goes OUT the door in my studio. Oh, I get the "you're using Pro Tools, right?" all the time in post and layback, but I never seem to have to import PT sessions.

Funny thing, last week I was in a layback session and the tech (a fine musician in his own right working for a major recording firm in LA) was laying back my tracks and mentioned how great the piano sound was and asked what I used (PC2/x from Kurzweil which sounds 'OK' to me but I'm usually on an acoustic grand). Anyway, that's what he uses and it has never sounded as good to him. He attributed it to my playing. I was thinking "yeah, well, maybe but it could also be DP?"

I didn't say that. We were sitting on one of them high end PT controller consoles. Very fancy and I was impressed, but watching him work, I realized I do the same thing as he does, in a studio that costs about 1% of the cost and with far fewer keystrokes and way fewer reaches for menus, lists, logs, and technical mind vaulting.

Oh, and BTW, PT did crash at least once in the session, requiring a restart of the Mac. Warmed my cockles, it did... :)

I believe this was the console he was using - or something at least that high end...

It's an Avid Icon D-Control which is nothing more than a mega-expensive mouse as no audio really goes through that thing. I've seen the videos on Avid's site and the gymnastics one has to go through like when one wants to make adjustments on a plugin is ridiculous. If you really want to have a console and impress clients better to spend the bucks on something that'll work across multiple daw platforms and do audio as well. The SSL Matrix, AWS 924/948 or the expandable Duality will do all that and more. Then again that depends on how much one mixes ITB or analog whether you have a console or not.
BobK

Post by BobK »

n2mpujack wrote:It's an Avid Icon D-Control which is nothing more than a mega-expensive mouse as no audio really goes through that thing. I've seen the videos on Avid's site and the gymnastics one has to go through like when one wants to make adjustments on a plugin is ridiculous.
Yeah, but the light show is cool! (for a few seconds, at least) :wink:

I vaguely recall the kid running the board had a heck of a time doing really simple stuff - like putting a little reverb on a monitor mix or adjusting EQ. I think it was partly due to inexperience, but I also recall him saying what you said, Jack - the thing is not easy to use.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.5
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 14.4 via Open Core Legacy Patcher
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
n2mpujack

Post by n2mpujack »

BobK wrote:
n2mpujack wrote:It's an Avid Icon D-Control which is nothing more than a mega-expensive mouse as no audio really goes through that thing. I've seen the videos on Avid's site and the gymnastics one has to go through like when one wants to make adjustments on a plugin is ridiculous.
Yeah, but the light show is cool! (for a few seconds, at least) :wink:

I vaguely recall the kid running the board had a heck of a time doing really simple stuff - like putting a little reverb on a monitor mix or adjusting EQ. I think it was partly due to inexperience, but I also recall him saying what you said, Jack - the thing is not easy to use.
They actually have a name for the light show - Vegas mode. Don't know where you'd lose more money though - Vegas or PT.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

effen bonehaded spammers!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS