Arturia Brass 2.0

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
stainlessbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Arturia Brass 2.0

Post by stainlessbrown »

Anyone using this? pro's/cons? (aside from the USB security key)

Thanks much
MacPro 8core, 10MB, 4.5 TB, RME Fireface800, Presonus D8, JBL LSR4326P, Oz HM-6, Presonus HP60, Prism MMA-4XR, Bellari, ART, Altec Lansing, TC Helicon, BBE, 002R, PTLE 8.0, Reaper, Tascam TSR8, Hammond M3, Rhodes 88, Korg, Yamaha, too many guitars, and more mics than I need, and a bunch of plug-ins that seemed a good idea at the time
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Arturia Brass 2.0

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

stainlessbrown wrote:Anyone using this? pro's/cons? (aside from the USB security key)

Thanks much
Never even heard of it. Any good?

As far as the USB key, it's not an iLok? I think I have a piece of software (Korg, I think) that uses one as well. It's inconvenient, but it keeps the price of the software down or at least appears to. iLoks are a better choice, IMO, as you only have one PITA to keep track of, but that's for another forum and for another time.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stainlessbrown

Post by stainlessbrown »

don't know yet- the samples the website offers, several are pretty convincing... a couple of others sound very synthetic

I have a iLok, and yes it'd be convenient if all the software makers who ustilize an external security device could standardize

but, as you say, a discussion for another place and time

for now, it is what it is
MacPro 8core, 10MB, 4.5 TB, RME Fireface800, Presonus D8, JBL LSR4326P, Oz HM-6, Presonus HP60, Prism MMA-4XR, Bellari, ART, Altec Lansing, TC Helicon, BBE, 002R, PTLE 8.0, Reaper, Tascam TSR8, Hammond M3, Rhodes 88, Korg, Yamaha, too many guitars, and more mics than I need, and a bunch of plug-ins that seemed a good idea at the time
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

I recently bought Arturia's Moog Modular V and it came with demos of a bunch of their other stuff including Brass. I was excited to try it, but pretty underwhelmed with the quality of the sounds. They make some incredible analog synth emulations, but Brass (which is actually a physical modeling synth) isn't one of them. :(
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
stainlessbrown

Post by stainlessbrown »

appreciate the candid remarks1
thanks
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Unfortunately, Brass is not very realistic -- especially for sections. The trumpet is the best of the lot, which is unfortunate as that is the one that has the most competition from superior sources that are also cheaper (some of them are even free, yet better than Arturia Brass).

When the original version came out, I was hopeful for emulating true slide trombone stylings, but this is very difficult to achieve even when customizing the mappings. Version two is quite different from version one, as though it is a re-write, and yet doesn't really improve things much. I don't consider the sax usable either. Yamaha's VL is WAY better.

I do like Arturia's soft synths, however. And those actually have improved significantly in their rev two releases. Different technology though. I suspect their expertise and background are more attuned to synths than natural acoustic instruments. But I give them points for trying so hard, and they are aware of the flaws so there's a chance they might get it right with version three.

It hass a unique interface, and as it is often on sale ultra-cheap, might be worth having at hand, if you have time to play with it. I don't -- my whole life is Extreme Deadline-driven. And I would be more inclined to put time into customizing WIVI than Arturia Brass.

I think there's a reason why you don't see this particular brass emulation discussed much, or see it pop up in people's demos. WIVI and Sample Modeling, and a few others that only do one instrument and nothing else, get much more attention from serious composers and songwriters.

There are some free IRCAM-based emus out there now in several form factors, as well as some cheap ones based on that academic algorithm and/or code base. All the ones I've heard or tried have been unconvincing. I'm not sure if Arturia's is properietary, uses the same algos and/or code as a basis, or is some hybrid approach.

There is someone here who has much deeper experience with Arturia Brass, if they are not under non-disclosure to discuss it.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
stainlessbrown

Post by stainlessbrown »

appreciate the detailed response.

Brass seems a bit more convincing, all the sax's I listened to just don't have it... most not even sounding a close as some of the keyboard voicing on my Yamaha and Korg.

While I know several players, their schedules are always in constant change and as I've not perfected my scoring, trying to bring one in and then hope the next part plays well with it has been... well less than my desired idea I'm hearing in my head

I'm specifically looking for a more 'modern' horn section (along the lines of ToP, Muscle Shoals, Brian Setzer Orchestra, etc)
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Look into Vir2's Mojo Brass then.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH