SSL Duende Native

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
davedempsey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

SSL Duende Native

Post by davedempsey »

SSL have released Duende Native plugs. 30 day demo available.

http://www.solidstatelogic.com/music/du ... U8,11VD0,1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
Frodo

Re: SSL Duende Native

Post by Frodo »

Thanks, Dave.

I'm just trying to make sense of this:

If your Duende unit was registered in your Profile at the SSL web site on or before 1st November 2010 you are eligible to claim free Duende Native Licences equivalent to any Duende plug-ins you own for your Duende hardware unit

Okay. That's clear.

If you register a Duende hardware unit which has not previously been registered at the SSL web site, you are eligible to claim free Duende Native Licences equivalent to any Duende plug-ins you own for your Duende hardware unit. There is no time limit on this.

Okay, that's clear-- I think, except there's this:

If you own a unit which had already been registered at the SSL web site on or before 1st November 2010 you will not be able to re-register it and will not be eligible for a free Cross Grade

"Re-register" is the key word here, but is it just me or do terms #1 and #3 sort of contradict each other? Why re-register if being registered in the first place is enough under term #1?

Further, #2 appears to offer the most leeway to those who had not previously registered!

Then there's this:

This Is SSL. It’s how we do things.

Huh?
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Pappy725

Post by Pappy725 »

#1>"registered in your Profile" key phrase there, I believe.

I think #3 is for units bought second hand that the original owner had registered with SSL before the 2010 cutoff.

Does that make sense?

Pappy
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, OS High Sierra 10.13.2, DP8.07, 256GB SSD
828mkII, 8Pre, Alesis M1 Active Mk2, Ext. FW drives, Yamaha fretless bass, Kay upright bass, Wechter acoustic/electric, trombone, baritone and a proclivity for polka music. (With sufficient quantities of beer) and I play country music.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

These are really good plugs.
dogBoy

Post by dogBoy »

I helped with the beta.... which didn't require me to do much.

They're all good
The channel strip and the reverb... very very nice.
http://www.spoonwood.net
http://www.davidgennaro.com

2.16 Intel Core 2 Duo, 10.4.11, 3gigs ram, Ultralite 2 (good Box),Bunch of FireWire Drives, guitars guitars guitars, plugins plugins , mostly use Kontakt3
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

[quote="Frodo"This Is SSL. It’s how we do things.

Huh?[/quote]

I find that incredibly nauseating. :wink:

However, the plug-ins are beyond good. I was part of the beta test and I determined I wanted them all! I got one free plug of my choice for participating, so I got X-Verb (the most expensive one). When I get the budget, I'll get the rest, either one at a time or in a package if it's a good deal. The X-EQ may be the most powerful EQ plug-in I've ever heard.

So Frodo, did you already have Duende hardware before?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

Pappy725 wrote:#1>"registered in your Profile" key phrase there, I believe.

I think #3 is for units bought second hand that the original owner had registered with SSL before the 2010 cutoff.

Does that make sense?

Pappy
Makes perfect sense Pappy - only the registered owner of the hardware gets the free plugs. I agree with Frodo that the language is somewhat confusing and seemingly contradictory. The intention must be that only one set of plugs as free crossgrade is offered per hardware device. I can see a possibility of some persons who purchased hardware second hand not being eligible for the free plugs whilst the original purchaser, who has the hardware registered gets the plugs as well as the secondhand sale price. Cavaet emptor.
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
dogBoy

Post by dogBoy »

yeah , the language is confusing ...... aren't they an English company.. where
the language developed????
http://www.spoonwood.net
http://www.davidgennaro.com

2.16 Intel Core 2 Duo, 10.4.11, 3gigs ram, Ultralite 2 (good Box),Bunch of FireWire Drives, guitars guitars guitars, plugins plugins , mostly use Kontakt3
jeepbird

Post by jeepbird »

For the last 2 weeks, when I was seriously considering whether to buy DSP based plugins (UAD, Liquid Mix or Duende), all the "bad" news come.

First I checked that Liquid Mix is being discontinued;
Then I heard this afternoon that Duende plugins will become SSL native plugins;
and then later today I heard news that future Macs might not support firewire...

I want some great plugins and wish the DSP can offload my CPU a bit. Seems not the right timing to do this :(

I know CPU is getting faster but isn't DSP processor has some points? Not?

I'm curious how the SSL native plugs will tax the CPU.
MacOS 10.14.6 / DP10.11 & DP9.52 + VEP Pro/ Macbook Pro 2018/ Benchmark DAC1 USB / RME FireFace UCX / Adam A7 / XV-3080
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

davedempsey wrote:
Pappy725 wrote:#1>"registered in your Profile" key phrase there, I believe.

Does that make sense?

Pappy
Makes perfect sense Pappy - only the registered owner of the hardware gets the free plugs. I agree with Frodo that the language is somewhat confusing and seemingly contradictory. The intention must be that only one set of plugs as free crossgrade is offered per hardware device. I can see a possibility of some persons who purchased hardware second hand not being eligible for the free plugs whilst the original purchaser, who has the hardware registered gets the plugs as well as the secondhand sale price. Cavaet emptor.
That makes more sense than their wording. Still, I wonder how they would distinguish #2 from #3 if a second-hand unit wasn't previously registered. Maybe-- something like this would be clearer: "Eligibility: registration prior to Nov, 2010 or qualifying proof of purchase..."? Boom-- everyone's covered except the cheaters.
Killahurts wrote:So Frodo, did you already have Duende hardware before?
Yes. I got the original Duende pretty early on. I'm going through a bit of conundrum right now because I also have one of SSL's interfaces and only recently learned that their hardware has to be shipped to the UK to be repaired. While my interface is currently in limbo, I find the idea of being able to manage the plugins via download more appealing while their hardware repair scheme is more appalling.

Here's what I'm thinking:

1. "Native" will be a great idea for those with a MacPro that will boot in 64-bit mode and is used in a DAW host that is also 64-bit.

2. Those using a 32-bit kernel out of necessity should hold off on going native. Why? The 32-bit memory addressing will impact on the CPU load as the data is funneled in an out of the DAW host. The 32-bit kernel and 32-bit apps are indeed helped by the outboard processing since the entire idea was originally to take the load off the CPU in the 32-bit kernel and host.

While DP will run inside OSX's 64-bit kernel, there is some 32-bit trickery going on within that 64-bit kernel. The net difference may not be terribly different than running DP and Duende Native in the 32-bit kernel. I say that without knowing for sure if Duende Native will even be available in 32-bit... but I'm guessing it will until 64-bit becomes much more of a way of life.

My Intel MacPro won't boot the 64-bit kernel, unfortunately. The only thing working in my favor is that DP is not yet 64-bit.

I love the Duende plugins. They rank among the best, and no mistake. They *are* expensive as most plugins go, but they are also better in quality than a lot of plugins.

I would love to dump all of my SSL hardware-- not because of a lack of quality, which is without reproach. It's just that the repair process has proven to be a very expensive hassle with downtime and renting replacements exceeded the cost of just buying new gear. For me to go "native" would necessitate getting a newer MacPro than the one I have.

If you see a hobbit selling cookies and lemonade in your neighborhood, that would be me-- because I'm about to gut my studio and start all over from scratch.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

I dunno- my MacPro is 64 bit capable, but I never boot it in 64 bit mode (there's no point in doing that unless you're a developer, as i understand things). The Duende Native plugs didn't seem like CPU backbreakers to me, by any means. I think you'd be fine.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

jloeb wrote:I dunno- my MacPro is 64 bit capable, but I never boot it in 64 bit mode (there's no point in doing that unless you're a developer, as i understand things). The Duende Native plugs didn't seem like CPU backbreakers to me, by any means. I think you'd be fine.
That was my very point: It's because your Mac is 64-bit capable!!

Where CPU has topped out in the 3Ghz area and memory addressing is now endeavoring to sigh out upon the margins of the 17-exabyte territory (with the right machine), it may be a little harder to sort out what the problems others have might be.

Your machine may even have architectural benefits that work better in 32-bit mode than previous Macs. Don't take what you have for granted or underrate what others must deal with.

You're The Man, J. You forget that we look UP to you.

Hang in there. We'll catch up to you eventually, my good friend. This is a tricky transition. HCMarkus has a most unique Mac-- one with PCIx and PCIe slots. Shooshie and others like myself have Macs that won't boot in 64-bit mode. It's really odd. We're all in different positions and it's going to take some time for the public to catch up to the various messed up goal posts the manufacturers themselves have presented and *moved* as it saw fit.

You've got 64-bit? Stay there-- and hang on for dear life. When DP gets to 64-bit, we'll all raise a glass or seven.

Eh?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm hoping to join the Intel Club sometime this year, probably when Sandy Bridge makes it to the Mac Pro, but plan to keep my G5 legacy box because, like bazeball, it has been belly, belly good to me.

Currently, I'm hoping for a detailed report from Tim on his new 12-core, so I can live vicariously in his world for a tad. :D
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Anyone have the UAD SSL Channel Strip and the Duende Native Channel Strip?
I'm curious to read/hear comparisons.

Oh yes - then there's the Waves "official" SSL Channel Strip. I think I'm
starting to get a headache..."ours is offcially endorsed by SSL!" "No, OURS
is officially SSL-endorsed!"
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Frodo wrote: That was my very point: It's because your Mac is 64-bit capable!!

Where CPU has topped out in the 3Ghz area and memory addressing is now endeavoring to sigh out upon the margins of the 17-exabyte territory (with the right machine), it may be a little harder to sort out what the problems others have might be.
Maybe, but I would at least give the demos a try if I were you. 64 bit mostly has to do with memory addressing as opposed to CPU load, and you may find these pups surprisingly light on the engine for what they do.