digital distribution license for download sales in Europe

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Robin Henkel
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

digital distribution license for download sales in Europe

Post by Robin Henkel »

Do I need a digital distribution license for download sales in Europe in addition to the license I already have for the USA?

I am a self produced blues recording artist. One of my self released CDs has a mix of cover and original tunes. For the cover tunes I have a mechanical licenses from Harry Fox and digital distribution licenses from Limelight/ RightsFlow. Both licenses specify USA only.

I would like to expand my download sales with one of the digital distribution companies that will put my music in a variety of download stores in Europe. So far I have not been able to get a clear answer on whether or not I need new / additional licenses for download sales in Europe. Does the distributing company or store handle it, or is there a different system there that I don't understand yet?

Thanks for your help.
adriano

Re: digital distribution license for download sales in Europ

Post by adriano »

Hi Robin,
I just came a cross your post
Here is a fairly good link to start from:

http://www.musicianwages.com/the-workin ... he-basics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm also waiting for a couple response and hopefully I'll have a better answer for you.

Adriano
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
adriano

Post by adriano »

Hello again Robin,

That was a pretty fast response I got after my first post. It looks like that's the standard and here is another link:

http://www.discmakers.com/services/cdbaby.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps and best of luck with your CD,

Adriano
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
Robin Henkel

Post by Robin Henkel »

Hello and thanks for your reply Adriano,

I'm reading the articles at the links you sent me and will get back with you soon.

Robin Henkel