Captain Beefheart Has Died

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
blazingrythm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by blazingrythm »

I sorry to say that Don Van Vliet aka Captain Beefheart has died.
He passed away early this morning due to complications related to MS.

It was an honor to have played drums for him and the drum parts he wrote were absolutely amazing.
I'll never have as much fun playing drums as I did for him.

For those of you unfamiliar with his work, please do yourself a favor and find out more through Google and YouTube.

His best record was "Clear Spot," It was before I joined the band and producer, Ted Templeman (Van Halen etc.) brought out the best in him.

Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) and Doc at the Radar Station were the records I played on.

Don Van Vliet RIP

Robert Williams
Macbook Pro 10.6.8, 16 GB DDR SDRAM, 828mkII, DP 8.05
Played drums for Capt. Beefheart and the Magic Band, The Stranglers, Hugh Cornwell, George Sarah, John Lydon, Robbie Krieger, Johnny Guitar Watson, Peewee Crayton, Dr. John, Tex & the Horseheads, Parthenon Huxley, The Magic Band, Tomoyatsu Hotei, George Clinton, Bone Symphony, Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods, with two solo albums on A&M Records in 1980 and 1982, & one in 1998 on Tonecasualties Records.
fullertime

Post by fullertime »

My condolences:( My prayers our with his friends & family.
FULLER - Raleigh/Durham, NC

"You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do."
--------------------
MacPro 3gHz 8-Core 16 GRam// OS 10.7.5 // ApogeePSX 100 // MOTU896 // MOTU Audio Express // DP8.01 //
sdfalk

Re: Captain Beefheart Has Died

Post by sdfalk »

A brilliant human being
A sad day, and my my condolences to the family
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I was a fan of Frank Zappa, my only connection to Captain Beefheart prior to a few years back when my daughter took an interest in him. She bought albums and learned everything written about him, I think. Since then, I saw a lot of videos of him and heard a good bit of his music. There was a tape in my car that kept playing, and as usual I just let it run. I had no idea who it was, but after a few trips I was singing the lyrics of a twisted song. I thought it was by a friend of hers who is quite the genius, and that made me think he was REALLY a genius. Turned out to be Beefheart. So it was that my daughter introduced me to music that I should have known and introduced to her. And then she should have said "eww, Dad, that's awful!" and run off with something by Radiohead. But she's got a real taste for the stuff, and I've learned as much about music from her as she has from me. She'll be very disappointed to learn of his death.

Thanks for the announcement. May Don Van Vliet rest in peace.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Sorry to hear. I think a friend of mine in Boston played/toured with him at one point as well, so will have to check. I didn't really follow him in later years, but was very aware of him in my youth and had a lot of respect for what he, Frank Zappa, and similar-minded people were up to.

It must be hard to accept the passing of someone you worked with so long. Condolences to all.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
sonus

Post by sonus »

Sad day.
R.I.P.
MacPro 5.1 2x3.46 twelve core, 64Gig, OSX 10.15, Mac Studio Max 32Gig, DP11.13, RME HDSPe FX, Softube Console 1 & Fader, UAD-2 quad, Soundtoys v5, UVI Falcon 3.0, GForce Mellotron & String Machine , Waves Rennaissance...
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
dogBoy

Post by dogBoy »

cuttime wrote:Image
Yeah, Bongo Fury ...MuffinMan...
http://www.spoonwood.net
http://www.davidgennaro.com

2.16 Intel Core 2 Duo, 10.4.11, 3gigs ram, Ultralite 2 (good Box),Bunch of FireWire Drives, guitars guitars guitars, plugins plugins , mostly use Kontakt3
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

I will not go over to the sadness of this news, but hopes he has managed to do and achieve anything he wanted. :sorry: for the language .
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
oswain
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by oswain »

The death of the artist... When musicians die, does the world get quieter or noisier? Their sound vanishes to a degree, but I'm sure random noise pollution swells to fill the vacuum.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Condolences to all who knew him personally.

The Captain will keep on growling around here. Such a wonderful artist!
He has given inspiration to so many musicians.

Definitely a sad day.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.5, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480, Sparkverb
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Wow-- time passes with the cruelest of inevitability.

6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52