BFD 2.2 just out -- MAJOR release, 2x as big, Intel-only

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

BFD 2.2 just out -- MAJOR release, 2x as big, Intel-only

Post by mhschmieder »

I can't cut/paste the Alert Box that comes up, so will paraphrase:

"This installer includes a data patch that will make your BFD2 data incompatible with earlier versions".

There's a few other caveats in there about making sure your data path is correct before proceeding or you could cause untold damage.

The install went very quickly for me, and BFD2 in standalone mode knows where to find all the library data, so I seem to be OK.

I haven't tried it in DP yet. Hopefully it solves the crash problem that is 100% reproducible for me on every session when using BFD 2.1.

I'll report back once I have verified whether this solves that problem -- otherwise I'll see if I can report it to fxpansion.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Re: BFD 2.2 just out -- MAJOR release, 2x as big, Intel-only

Post by mhschmieder »

I'm guessing the "2x as big" aspect is related to the data patches, which previously have been packaged separately as I recall.

The details of what is in this update are apparently only posted in their forum so far. I don't have time to visit as I have to rush off to a session. I'm definitely curious to find out what has changed in this release, as it looks the same to me so probably it is all performance improvements and bugfixes as well as compatibility enhancements?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Spikey Horse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Spikey Horse »

mhschmieder wrote:The details of what is in this update are apparently only posted in their forum so far. I don't have time to visit as I have to rush off to a session. I'm definitely curious to find out what has changed in this release, as it looks the same to me so probably it is all performance improvements and bugfixes as well as compatibility enhancements?
Hey mhschmieder, there is a 'what's new' pdf in the installer ..... if like me you've D/L'd but not installed yet just check out installer/payload/ help .....

Seems like bug fixes (obviously), eco compatibility, inner tweaks for upcoming sample packs with new variables (round robin etc), some new mixer features, data tweaks etc....

Not as paradigm shifting as the last update (but not complaining as they're free!)..... I'm in the middle of several BFD heavy projects (4+ instances each - yummy!) at the moment and won't be updating for quite a while, I've been very happy with previous release.

Hope it fixes your crashing. :)
content is the new style
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The license manager seems to have changed a bit with this release. Not the GUI, but the operations that take place when you authorize.

I took advantage of the end-of-year 50% sale on all BFD and fxpansion related expansions, and finally picked up the Taiko expansion. So that is how I encountered the new license manager.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

There seems to be a new feature for choking the snares and kicks. On the audition page, there is a red "stop" button next to this (since it can't be auditioned on its own, or maybe to indicate it stops/chokes any audio playing from auditioning one of the other articulations).

I couldn't get BFD to pass audio in standalone mode, but I didn't reboot first so am not concerned. Sometimes standalone versions get confused about input/output, and I could not select RME Fireface 800 for output from BFD standalone at this time.

Inside DP, it worked flawlessly, even if instantiating three BFD's in a project. But I didn't do multiple MIDI tracks, so I'll test in more detail later. I should point out that I am still in the habit of disabling all VI's before closing projects, and that this is the point in time when I was getting my crashes, even if I paused before instantiating the next BFD. This is not the case tonight, so presumably this bug has been fixed.
Last edited by mhschmieder on Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spikey Horse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Spikey Horse »

I couldn't figure out what the purpose of the choking thing was from reading about it!..... I'll have another read today..... after another coffee....

Love Taiko BTW ... and beyond playing Taiko 'as is' I've found there's a whole world of possibilities in the many and varied direct mics - both 'clean' and heavily processed .... the pack is worth it just for the Ohdaiko directs by themselves - oof! :love:
content is the new style
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

mhschmieder wrote: "This installer includes a data patch that will make your BFD2 data incompatible with earlier versions".
Just downloaded it. Haven't installed yet. I trust that the statement
quoted above means "once you install BFD 2.2, it updates your saved presets and kits, and then you cannot launch an earlier version of BFD and expect to load your presets and kits".

Hope that's what it means, anyway.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It's interesting to note that the Taiko expansion was what pushed many of the v2.1 features to be implemented last year. It forced them to think outside the box, and the changes that they made to accommodate Taiko have also benefitted other percussion batterie that aren't part of a traditional drum set.

I'l have to try out that choke feature on the kicks and snares when I get a chance. Maybe it's to stop resonance?

SKoT_FX

Post by SKoT_FX »

The red stop articulation you see in the Kit Piece Chooser is simply to allow you to stop previews. In Eco DV, Zildjian have packaged some backing tracks as percussion kit pieces to allow users to fire up something to play along with. Since the audio tracks can be quite long, you need a way to kill the preview sometimes!
CTO, FXpansion, http://www.fxpansion.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

SKoT_FX wrote:The red stop articulation you see in the Kit Piece Chooser is simply to allow you to stop previews. In Eco DV, Zildjian have packaged some backing tracks as percussion kit pieces to allow users to fire up something to play along with. Since the audio tracks can be quite long, you need a way to kill the preview sometimes!
Wow, a post from SKoT (of fxPansion)! Thanks, SKoT! I wasn't sure you guys
perused this forum.

For the record, I run BFD 2 on my PC and trigger it from DP via MIDI - so
I'm using the Windows version. When I installed it, I got a warning message
for several kit pieces that were "missing", I just clicked OK on all of those,
the installer finished and all my kits and kit pieces showed up anyway.
2.2 seems to be running just fine on my PC (Windows XP).
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com