Final Cut Studio

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
CT
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Final Cut Studio

Post by CT »

Hi,
I am tempted by Final Cut Studio... I`ve seen older posts on Motunation, but I`d like to know if there are any FCS users who find it useful to have the new FCS as well as DP.

I`m asking from an audio mixer`s point of view. (My use of FC to edit video is just an added extra, not something to justify buying it.)

I do score mixing with DP 6.02 and it work fine. I`ve got MachFive 2, Waves, Digitranslator, ProTools and DVD Studio Pro 3 for transfers and encoding but I want to do more Post-Pro, so, I would like:

1 - Some kind of noise reduction
2 - A good basic SFX / Foley library
3 - A bigger GarageBand style media library?
4 - The fastest way of doing sweetening and laying back To FCS

So I`m torn between buying Waves W43, a Foley library and using GarageBand for ultra low budget stuff all under DP (about 260€ total), or buying FCS and using it for simple things and doing any serious mixing in DP.

Any thought would be welcome. Thanks!
2 x 2.8 Quad core Intel Xeon, 10.10.5, 16GB, DP8.07, 828mkII, Ensemble, Waves, Sonnox, iZotope, MachFive3, Kontakt, MC Control, MC Mix, VE Pro5.
i7user

Re: Final Cut Studio

Post by i7user »

They go hand in hand... into the sunset!
The new XML makes a HUGE difference in workflow!
CT

Post by CT »

Thanks for the reply!
2 x 2.8 Quad core Intel Xeon, 10.10.5, 16GB, DP8.07, 828mkII, Ensemble, Waves, Sonnox, iZotope, MachFive3, Kontakt, MC Control, MC Mix, VE Pro5.
jjhp3

Post by jjhp3 »

My 2 cents...

I use DP7 for major music use, FCS (latest version) for all my video, compression and DVD authoring. I teach "sound for media" in US University and switched this semester from Pro Tools to SoundTrack Pro. Main reason: round-tripping is a breeze and STP has many useful and quick audio-post plugins (processes in STP parlance) such a noise removal, ambience replacement, lots of SFX clips (more than GB), and a well thought out surround sound structure. In fact, one 5.1 project last year was composed and bounced in DP, but for some reason the DP files couldn't be converted into functioning AC3s - I brought all the DP tracks into STP and exported perfect AC3 5.1 files with just a click.

Short answer: mix in DP, tweak video tracks in STP
MBP 2.66 / DP7.22 / OS X10.9.4 + UltraLiteMkIII
CT

Post by CT »

It looks as if I`ll go the FCS route then. Although it`s more than I wanted to pay, it should make me more efficient and I`ll hopefully do more in less time. Thanks!