Harmonic minor odd question

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Harmonic minor odd question

Post by twistedtom »

I am doing a non-diatonic progression in a song that goes from A Aeolian to A Harmonic minor.
The difference between Aeolian and the harmonic minor is the 7th is major. So going through the scales in modes for the Harmonic minor; the Ionian I becomes “Ionian #5”,then Dorian #4th; dropping the sharp one interval as we go up the modes. So now we get to Mix Lydian and the 1st note of the scale is sharp so what do we call it? Mixolydian #1 does not make sense. When we are in A Aeolian it is G Mix Lydian now in the harmonic minor scales Mixolydian starts on G#.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
wrathy

Re: Harmonic minor odd question

Post by wrathy »

twistedtom wrote:So going through the scales in modes for the Harmonic minor; the Ionian I becomes “Ionian #5”,then Dorian #4th; dropping the sharp one interval as we go up the modes. So now we get to Mix Lydian and the 1st note of the scale is sharp so what do we call it? Mixolydian #1 does not make sense. When we are in A Aeolian it is G Mix Lydian now in the harmonic minor scales Mixolydian starts on G#.
I think you are starting from C rather than A?
Ionian usually refers to the first mode of the MAJOR MODES:
C Ion, D Dor, E Phryg (the modes of C Major).

If you start from C, using the notes from A Har min, you get:
C, D, E, F, G# A B C. This is a cool sound, but not really Ionian. Its ALMOST harmonic major (love that sound):
C,D,E,F,G,G#,B,C.

The modes of C har minor would look like this.

http://andrewrathbun.com/images/HARMONICMAJOR.jpeg

(Sorry I wrote this sheet out in C and did not want to re-write in A)
Some of the modes in Har Min can have different names that the ones on the sheet.
Is this what you are looking for, or remotely helpful?

Best.
MAIN: MacPro 3GHz 8 core, 18G RAM, OS 10.6.8 DP 7.24, 2408 Mk III, 2408 mk II, MIDI Express XT, UAD-1, SLAVE: MacPro 3GHz 4 core, 10 G RAM. Libraries: VSL :SE/SE+, App Strings, Woodwinds, Sonic Implants Strings, EWQLSO (platinum) StormDrum II, Ministry of Rock, Motu MX 4, MACH V, NI Komplete 6, w/ plenty o' sample libs, Triton Rack, TX 81Z, Yamaha WX7, assorted woodwinds, drums, Yamaha P22 Piano
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Wel I just find it interesting that as we go around the modes from the Harmonic minor when we come to the Mixolydian the first note is the one that is sharped. The song is in A minor most of the time the in A Dorian and then A Harmonic minor. A Aeolian and C Ionian do have the same note in their scales. In A harmonic minor when we get to C Ionian the 5th is sharped so it becomes C Ionian with a sharp 5th. Having a major 3rd it is still a major key. It may be an odd question but what the hell do we call the Mixolydian from a harmonic minor? What is a good way to think of it? I just adjust my scale on the Mixolydian to fit so maybe it is just academic.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
wrathy

Post by wrathy »

The fifth mode of A harmonic minor is E
A=1
B=2
C=3
D=4
E=5
E, F, G#, A, B, C, D, E
That's E7(b9. b13)

F=6
G#=7

The 7th mode of A Har minor is:
G#, A, B, C, D, E, F,

You are still looking at the modes from "C" rather than "A"

The mode on G# is interesting. It has no 7th, so its rather ambiguous. Some people call it "UltraLocrian." I like it as it provides this triadic sound:
A-/G#dim
If your are careful with the voicing, its a different sonority.

best.
MAIN: MacPro 3GHz 8 core, 18G RAM, OS 10.6.8 DP 7.24, 2408 Mk III, 2408 mk II, MIDI Express XT, UAD-1, SLAVE: MacPro 3GHz 4 core, 10 G RAM. Libraries: VSL :SE/SE+, App Strings, Woodwinds, Sonic Implants Strings, EWQLSO (platinum) StormDrum II, Ministry of Rock, Motu MX 4, MACH V, NI Komplete 6, w/ plenty o' sample libs, Triton Rack, TX 81Z, Yamaha WX7, assorted woodwinds, drums, Yamaha P22 Piano