New version of Melodyne RAWKS

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New version of Melodyne RAWKS

Post by David Polich »

Celemony released the 1.2.0 update to Melodyne Editor on October 29.
I just got it installed today...wow. LOTS of changes, including the
long-awaited ability to export any audio as MIDI.

Installing the update can be a bit confusing because the installer is
labeled "Melodyne Singletrack." Be sure to remove your Melodyne Editor
component and VST/RTAS plug-ins from their respective folders before
installing the update. Once installed, you launch DP or whatever audio
app you'll be using, the authorization window appears and you'll be
asked for your serial number.

Melodyne Editor now runs as standalone as well as a plug-in. Cool!
Enhancements, besides the MIDI export features, include improved
selection tools, new scrolling implementations, faster launching,
improvements in resizing the window, drag-and-drop-to-replace,
a new "cycle audio' feature which allows you to select an area of the
audio and loop the playback without engaging the host's playback..I
know there's more but I just started playing around with this new version
a few minutes ago.

Seems to run as efficiently as the older version in DP (maybe even a little
better). Sound quality is improved somewhat. My favorite new feature has
got to be the audio-to-MIDI export...that's going to come into use a lot.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Frodo

Re: New version of Melodyne RAWKS

Post by Frodo »

Thanks for the report, David.

Just curious-- has there been improvement in the polyphonic editing? The last major update wasn't as easy to use in this regard as hoped, although that was the major selling point at the time.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Frodo wrote:Thanks for the report, David.

Just curious-- has there been improvement in the polyphonic editing? The last major update wasn't as easy to use in this regard as hoped, although that was the major selling point at the time.
I can't say anything about the polyphonic editing - because, as I'm rather
ashamed to admit, I've never used it! This week might be just the week to
try...
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

I've been waiting to do the update for a number of reasons, none of them related to Melodyne. I had an e-mail change and didn't update my account before my Melodyne e-mail went down. That's all fixed, but since the new update was released I've been fixing computers to one extent or another. I think I'm about ready to move forward with it, though. I've got some tracks that have been in need some serious salvaging for a couple of years where re-recording them is not an option.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Hey guys,

Speaking strictly as a pitch editor and disregarding other features, how would you say Melodyne compares to the pitch editor in DP? I'm wondering about the differences in quality, as well as the ease of use within DP.

The audio to MIDI feature might be worth the price of admission on its own though.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Killahurts wrote:Hey guys,

Speaking strictly as a pitch editor and disregarding other features, how would you say Melodyne compares to the pitch editor in DP? I'm wondering about the differences in quality, as well as the ease of use within DP.
Melodyne Editor is far and away easier for us inside DP. And certainly more flexible with quality and tone control. Never really grasped the usefulllness of how pitch is laid out in DP, but we love the melodyne plug-in concept. Maybe just us!
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

If it's just a note here and there that needs fixing, I go for DP's own
pitch correction because it's faster.

Otherwise, yes, Melodyne is far more flexible and has more features.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

I find DP's internal pitch editing much more convenient to use than Melodyne. The back-and-forth between the plugin and DP interface that you have to do with Melodyne, trivial though it is when the task is light, annoys me quite a bit with heavy editing tasks. Also, for monophonic lines, the ability to adjust segmentation globally or by selection (instead of note-by-note, manually) is still something DP has that Melodyne lacks, although it's said to be on their features-to-add list.

What you get with Melodyne that you can't get anywhere else is polyphonic editing and a somewhat higher level of quality when pitch is shifted significantly or is used on high-pitched instruments or vocals. Audio to MIDI is pretty cool too (although i'd bet that's on MOTU's features-to-add list).
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

I originally got Melodyne because the algorithms seemed more effective. Which is faster to use hinges entirely (for me) on how quickly I can get the results I need. I've had consistently better success with Melodyne even though DP's pitch window might be easier to navigate to/from.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

jloeb wrote:Audio to MIDI is pretty cool too (although i'd bet that's on MOTU's features-to-add list).
That's already available in DP. Single notes only, though. Does Melodyne create audio-to-MIDI from chords?
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

jloeb wrote:. Also, for monophonic lines, the ability to adjust segmentation globally or by selection (instead of note-by-note, manually) is still something DP has that Melodyne lacks, although it's said to be on their features-to-add list.
Actually, in the latest version of Melodyne you can select any region
of notes and apply just about any process to the selection - except
segmentation...but there's a really obvious for that. Segmentation, by
definition, is separating one note into more sections. There would be no
way for a global process to "know" where exactly you want the segmentation
to be for multiple notes...that would be Melodyne "reading your mind" and
it can't do that.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

I'm talking about the "Adjust Pitch Segmentation" command in DP, which lets you adjust the threshold of pitch variation in the source material required before DP calls it a different note. No mind reading needed. So for example, if you have a particular singer with a lot of vibrato, you can dial down pitch segmentation for the parts that need it and thereby avoid having DP's pitch detection algorithm chop what is really one held note into a thousand little notes on 2 or 3 adjacent pitches. I find it a really nice feature of DP's pitch handling that any pitch editor really should be able to do for a monophonic source, and Melodyne can't. Yet.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

666 wrote:
jloeb wrote:Audio to MIDI is pretty cool too (although i'd bet that's on MOTU's features-to-add list).
That's already available in DP. Single notes only, though. Does Melodyne create audio-to-MIDI from chords?
Yep. exports as a standard .mid file.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

On the Mac, the installer was smart enough to remove the prior version and replace it with the renamed "singletrack" version.

I opened it up just to make sure it works, but haven't had time to use it yet. I'm making up for lost time right now, trying to get caught up after all the down-time from setting up the new computer. I need to use Melodyne badly on some time-sensitive projects, but didn't have time to figure out how to use the latest version, so took another approach (for now).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Tim

Post by Tim »

I just got Melodyne (Editor) for the first time last week, though I've used it before a few times.
It sounds better than DP's, which often creates grainy artifacts.

DP's is convenient to use, as it will follow edits and employs modifier keys (which from what I've gathered Melodyne only does in stand alone mode).

Edited to remove inadvertently typed 't' from the end of 'though'. Please update quotes accordingly.
Last edited by Tim on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.