Multiple Plug-In Instances at once in Mixing Board?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
emoney1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Multiple Plug-In Instances at once in Mixing Board?

Post by emoney1 »

I'm back with another newb question, but I couldn't seem to find any info on this or none of my fumbling around resulted in anything.

Is it possible to setup multiple instances of the same plug-in on an insert across multiple tracks in the mixing board? For example if I had 6 guitar tracks and I wanted to put an MW equalizer on insert 1 for all 6 at once, is it possible? I know I can option drag plug-ins to different tracks, but that isn't as quick.

I know I'm missing something in terms of key commands or workflow conventions in DP.
Macbook Pro 15"- 2.66Ghz i7 Processor/4Gb RAM
Interface - MOTU 828
3rd Party Software - NI KOMPLETE 7/WAVES MERCURY/Pro Tools LE 8.0.4/Logic 9/Ableton Live 8.1.4
Dan Worley

Re: Multiple Plug-In Instances at once in Mixing Board?

Post by Dan Worley »

Nope. At least not that I know of. I always wanted Track Groups to do this but it doesn't.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

You can always assign the 6 tracks to a stereo buss and then slap the EQ on an insert of that buss. That's only if you desire to have the same EQ settings for all 6 tracks.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

You can quickly copy the plug in(s) from one track to another in the mixer by Option-Command-dragging (or is it Option-dragging? Not infront of DP now).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
emoney1

Post by emoney1 »

FMiguelez wrote:.

You can quickly copy the plug in(s) from one track to another in the mixer by Option-Command-dragging (or is it Option-dragging? Not infront of DP now).
Yeah, I've done that move a lot, but just trying to see if there was a quicker way.
Interface - MOTU 828
3rd Party Software - NI KOMPLETE 7/WAVES MERCURY/Pro Tools LE 8.0.4/Logic 9/Ableton Live 8.1.4
emoney1

Post by emoney1 »

kwiz wrote:You can always assign the 6 tracks to a stereo buss and then slap the EQ on an insert of that buss. That's only if you desire to have the same EQ settings for all 6 tracks.
Yeah, that works well too, but I want different EQ on all of the parts.
Interface - MOTU 828
emoney1

Post by emoney1 »

Dan Worley wrote:Nope. At least not that I know of. I always wanted Track Groups to do this but it doesn't.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
:( I figured, but it was at least worth asking. It seems like doing anything on multiple tracks at once (other than group fader moves) in the mixing board is a no go. I'm sure someone has asked as a feature request, but I guess I'll ask as well.
Interface - MOTU 828
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

emoney1 wrote:
kwiz wrote:You can always assign the 6 tracks to a stereo buss and then slap the EQ on an insert of that buss. That's only if you desire to have the same EQ settings for all 6 tracks.
So you want DP to automatically put different EQ settings for the same plug in 6 tracks?
Sorry. One thing DP can't do is read your mind.

You would have to set them manually first. Once you're happy, you could save the tracks (and/or the plug-ins) as a Clipping, and they would be ready for you next time you need them.
It can be as a Clipping or using the new Mixer feature, which in reality, it's the same thing packaged differently.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
emoney1

Post by emoney1 »

FMiguelez wrote:
emoney1 wrote:
So you want DP to automatically put different EQ settings for the same plug in 6 tracks?
Sorry. One thing DP can't do is read your mind.

You would have to set them manually first. Once you're happy, you could save the tracks (and/or the plug-ins) as a Clipping, and they would be ready for you next time you need them.
It can be as a Clipping or using the new Mixer feature, which in reality, it's the same thing packaged differently.
No, sorry that's not what I'm saying. What I mean is that I want to apply the same plug-in (default setting) to multiple contiguous or non-contiguous tracks at one time in the mixing board window. I will of course dial in different settings for each tracks once the plugs are there, but if I can use only a couple of mouse clicks and a modifier key to add the plug-ins to the inserts, it's much faster than option+command dragging all around the mixer.
Interface - MOTU 828
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Then Clippings (regular ones or the new feature in the Mixer) is the only way to do this I can think of.
When you drag (or recall) that clipping it will bring back whatever settings you created it with.
Then, just tweak away according to need.

Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

emoney1 wrote:No, sorry that's not what I'm saying. What I mean is that I want to apply the same plug-in (default setting) to multiple contiguous or non-contiguous tracks at one time in the mixing board window. I will of course dial in different settings for each tracks once the plugs are there, but if I can use only a couple of mouse clicks and a modifier key to add the plug-ins to the inserts, it's much faster than option+command dragging all around the mixer.
+1

It's been asked for many times (along with assigning multiple Sends), but asking MOTU once more will help. BTW, the new Insert Settings feature in the mixer is wonderful. That was a big plus.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Then Clippings (regular ones or the new feature in the Mixer) is the only way to do this I can think of.
When you drag (or recall) that clipping it will bring back whatever settings you created it with.
You still have to drag them or assign them one track at a time. Let's take this example: I want a high-pass filter starting at 67 Hz on 20 tracks that I'll go in and adjust later. I have to apply or drag that plug-in 20 times instead of just once for all selected tracks.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Dan Worley wrote:

You still have to drag them or assign them one track at a time. Let's take this example: I want a high-pass filter starting at 67 Hz on 20 tracks that I'll go in and adjust later. I have to apply or drag that plug-in 20 times instead of just once for all selected tracks.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
Not if you created the Clipping with 20 tracks (or 30, and you just delete 10)...
You would just drag and drop ONCE.

What I'm trying to say is, if this is something you will do often, make things the way you like and create a Clipping from them. They will be available from then on.

OBVIOUSLY, a real solution from MOTU would be needed to do this easier and faster (like having groups respond to things one does with plugs, such as opening, deleting, moving, tweaking, etc.). But in the mean time, Clippings will work if you need to do the same thing more than once.

Otherwise, don't be lazy and just do it manually :mrgreen:

Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Maybe a little less tedious, but this is all I've got at the moment.

In the Tracks Window (because it won't work in the Mixer):

1. Select source track.
2. Duplicate the source track once and delete track data on the new track. Inserts should stick.
3. Go to Soundbites and delete unused soundbites (just in case)
4. Select the duplicated track and use Option-Command-D as many times as needed.

Tim?
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

But I'm not talking about empty tracks. I'm talking about tracks that already have soundbite content. If you do it the way you guys are suggesting, you have to move soundbite content into those tracks after the fact. That's even worse, in my opinion.

Right?

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13