Duplicate notes in MIDI edit

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
trevorallan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Duplicate notes in MIDI edit

Post by trevorallan »

I'm having problems with unwanted duplicate MIDI notes. When I select a MIDI note (or group of MIDI notes) in the graphic editor window and move them either in pitch or in time, I get duplicates as if I had held down the option key. They don't disappear when I Deflam. They aren't selectable either. They show up as exact duplicates in the event information window, but again aren't selectable or erasable. If I move one (sometimes this seems randomly possible) the duplicate note behind it still sits there unmovable and unerasable.

The notes disappear if I record over the selection, and that's the only way I can get rid of them. I've tried using the trackpad instead of the mouse and also a different keyboard. Same behaviour.

Am I missing something obvious? This is slowing me down something terrible.

Thanks
Tritonemusic

Re: Duplicate notes in MIDI edit

Post by Tritonemusic »

Instead of De Flam, try Remove Duplicates (pg. 970 in the DP7 User Guide).
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
trevorallan

Post by trevorallan »

666 wrote:Instead of De Flam, try Remove Duplicates (pg. 970 in the DP7 User Guide).
Thanks, but it doesn't work. I can't select the duplicates in any window. I can select a region in the Graphic Editor containing the duplicate notes, and can see them both selected in the events list (as long as the selected region contains ordinary non-duplicated notes before and after). I apply Remove Duplicates and nothing happens. I can erase everything in the region, but then I lose the other notes as well.

?!?!?

And this is only one aspect of this. When I move a normal note in time or pitch it leaves an unselectable ghost duplicate at the original location. This duplicate appears to be a product of the 'select and move' procedure - the duplicate isn't there before I try the move.

?!?!?

These wierdnesses are occurring nearly all of the time. Why not all the time?
keybored0
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by keybored0 »

Most interesting...I had my share of duplicate sounding notes but could never see them, and remove duplicates, etc had no effect. But the question here is: Is there a volume surge/increase as a result of these ghost copies? Or is this merely a graphic phenomenon? If the former, you really should report this to MOTU.
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

trevorallan wrote:
666 wrote:Instead of De Flam, try Remove Duplicates (pg. 970 in the DP7 User Guide).
Thanks, but it doesn't work. I can't select the duplicates in any window. I can select a region in the Graphic Editor containing the duplicate notes, and can see them both selected in the events list (as long as the selected region contains ordinary non-duplicated notes before and after). I apply Remove Duplicates and nothing happens. I can erase everything in the region, but then I lose the other notes as well.

?!?!?

And this is only one aspect of this. When I move a normal note in time or pitch it leaves an unselectable ghost duplicate at the original location. This duplicate appears to be a product of the 'select and move' procedure - the duplicate isn't there before I try the move.

?!?!?

These wierdnesses are occurring nearly all of the time. Why not all the time?

try this post
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 15#p336933" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it may be exactly what's causing your situ and it's and easy fix!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
trevorallan

Post by trevorallan »

Fixed in one fell swoop! I owe you a few hours somewhere down the line.
Many Thanks!
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

trevorallan wrote:Fixed in one fell swoop! I owe you a few hours somewhere down the line.
Many Thanks!
damn...I just came back from the UK! tell me which town/village you're in and I'll tell you which CAMRA pub I would've met you in!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me