fees for local tv theme

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
GMT
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

fees for local tv theme

Post by GMT »

I've been asked to write the intro/close music for a local tv show; Sunday morning talk/panelists/interview. It will be broadcast locally, Mid-west city, #17 TV market. Possible broadcast state-wide via cable channel. What sort of fee(s) should I be looking for?

I've written the :30 for the intro, the director will edit for bumpers (:05, :10), and the close (:60).

The show is slated to run for 13 weeks, with an option for a total of 25. Syndication or broadcast through other entities isn't in the picture at this point.

I hear the conventional wisdom of "whatever you can get". Can anyone offer experienced advice on this?

Any perspective on this is appreciated.
if it sounds good, it is good - ellington
macbook pro 2.53 4G OS 6.8 DP7.22 828mkII
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: fees for local tv theme

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Conventional wisdom continues to apply. You ask what you think your worth; you get what they want to pay. There is no standard, per se. Certainly there is a range for certain kinds of scoring in a particular market that regularly buys such stuff. It also depends on whether you are experienced, have a reputation, a track record with the producer, etc. Even so, you might get a lot more or a lot less depending on their budget.

As far as royalties, don't expect a lot for cable. Even nationally, cable pays as a single station if it is aired simultaneously over the same cable network. Multiple airing can pay well - such as a :30 commercial that runs 5000 times in a quarter. But a :30 theme that runs once a week at the start and end of a show might not pay so good on cable. It also depends on the division of the bulk license to other entities at BMI & ASCAP. You might get a bigger piece of the pie. You might not.

Artistic fees are a funny thing. You might get $1k to write a feature film, you might get $50k or even a lot more. You might get $5k to write a 3 minute video - or you might get $250. Again, it all depends on your experience, skill at negotiating (or representation), or simply the budget of the producers.

'Conventional wisdom' aside, YOU have to decide how much you need to commit the time to the project; how "hungry" you are; what it might bring in the future in terms of royalties and more work, etc. It's not that people here don't want to give you the answer, it's that they can't. Others cannot decide what you're worth - YOU have to determine that. Time to search you soul now...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
GMT

Post by GMT »

Thanks, MLC. I understand there's no set rate - it's anything goes. Wide open to negotiation within the parameters of budget, etc. So I start with a guesstimate framework and see what the budget would allow.

I need to figure out what my time and energy is worth to me, and sell it on that value. I don't forsee royalties as a significant factor. Maybe a licensing fee for the first 13 weeks, re-negotiate if it goes to 25 wks or wider distribution.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Timed licensing is always a good way to go.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Get as much as you can upfront.

Next, unless you understand the subject of Cue Sheets intimately, get together with your PRO to make sure they're properly registered.

You are a member of a PRO, yes? If not, you need to join one.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
GMT

Post by GMT »

Thanks Mike, the fee proposals went reasonably well in that I will receive what I had determined to be an approximate value. The producer/director confirmed my figures and also advised me what to expect in terms of usage/license fees.

I did some research and am going to go with ASCAP.