editing click tracks

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
busle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

editing click tracks

Post by busle »

okay, so I've got this song I'm working on. I've assigned a meter of 13/4, and it's at around 160 BPM. I've recorded some of the guitar I want just as a placeholder, and got my MIDI kick drum banging in time, and now I want to try messing around with some 3/4 or 4/4 polyrhythms to go over the top of what I have so far. the problem is, I want to strangle DP right now because I can't for the life of me, figure out how to get the damn thing to give me a quarter note click. I've got the manual, and it seems to suggest that if I specify the meter, specify an appropriate tempo range, and add a beat value of a quarter note under the Click Defaults menu, I should get exactly what I desire. sounds good when I'm in the Click Default screen. when I switch back to just the Click screen (all this under Preferences and Settings, btw), that's not what I get. I get eighth notes. so I go in and delete all of the other ranges and whatnot within the click defaults, set the one remaining click to 13/4 with a range of 20 BPM to 400, and a quarter note beat. sounds good, until I go back to the Click screen.

wtf am I doing wrong? I get why there's a lot of functionality and customizability built into DP (using DP6, btw, in case anything's changed since), but why can't they make it easy to just choose a note value and have the damn thing click at that note value, if that's all you want? it's really sad that the one aspect of this software that makes me feel like a complete idiot is the frigging click settings. :?

oh, also, I tried to search for this here, but couldn't find what I was looking for, so if it's already been covered (I'm guessing it has?), and anyone knows where it is, if you could point me in the right direction and call me names, that'd be just fine by me. :wink:
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: editing click tracks

Post by Frodo »

Two questions:

1. What version of DP6?

2. With Beat Clicks, have you also set your tempo range? Beat Clicks can be set to kick in only at certain tempi.

13/4---- yooda man!
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
busle

Post by busle »

Frodo wrote:Two questions:

1. What version of DP6?

2. With Beat Clicks, have you also set your tempo range? Beat Clicks can be set to kick in only at certain tempi.

13/4---- yooda man!
it's version 6.02, and I set the tempo range from 20-400 BPM, so I don't get why it doesn't seem to be taking effect.

hehe, yup, 13/4. I like to torture myself every once in awhile! :)
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

13/4 is illegal in some territories (the same ones that don't allow microtunings and any cross rhythms beyond 2 againt 3 and even then two musicians must be used - it is illegal for a single musician to play cross rhythms in those territories.)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

busle wrote: sounds good when I'm in the Click Default screen. when I switch back to just the Click screen (all this under Preferences and Settings, btw), that's not what I get. I get eighth notes.

Okay. In the Conductor Track, what is the click set to? Eighths or Quarters?
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
busle

Post by busle »

good question! I'll have to check when I get home from work. I'm not even sure I know where to find that. guess I'll have to RTFM again. :P
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

busle wrote:good question! I'll have to check when I get home from work. I'm not even sure I know where to find that. guess I'll have to RTFM again. :P
You can find it in the Sequence Editor:

or in the Event List:

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
busle

Post by busle »

thank you both a ton for helping me figure this out! I was able to edit it via the Event List (for some reason, it didn't show in the conductor track under the Sequence window - maybe that was added after DP 6?). I still don't understand how they came up with this way of laying out the click edit options, since it seems like if you enter click settings in one place, you shouldn't have to fiddle with settings in other places, but perhaps that's just because I'm not as familiar with DP as I ought to be.

I know I don't post on here very often, and when I do, it's mostly because I can't figure something out, but it's really awesome to know there's a place that I can go if I'm completely stumped on something like this!

thanks again guys! :D
Tim

Post by Tim »

Dan even set the meter to 13/4 for his example. What a guy!
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Tim wrote:Dan even set the meter to 13/4 for his example. What a guy!
LOL! :lol:

I was feeling dangerous and wanted to do something illegal. :wink:

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13