Split mono to Stereo tracks??

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
matwell
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Split mono to Stereo tracks??

Post by matwell »

Hi everyone,

I tried the AAF interchange feature between Pro Tools and DP 4.6. It works *pretty* good. However, the stereo tracks in Pro Tools appear as two mono tracks in DP. One for .L and one for .R.

So, I stupidly assumed that I could make a new stereo track and option-drag the two mono tracks onto that stereo track. Nope!

I tried copying and pasting, but I get an error message about the number of tracks not matching. This is stupid!

Isn't there a way to drag two mono tracks onto a stereo track? Come on, this is simple, basic DAW functionality here!

Please let me know what insight you might have on this.

Thanks!
Michael
Quad G5 - 4GB RAM; PB 17" 1.5 GHz - 1GB RAM; OS 10.4.8, DP 5.11, Digi 002R, Mbox, Pro Tools LE 7.1, DV Toolkit 2, Music Production Toolkit, MachFive, NI Komplete2, EWQLSO GOLD, MemoryMoog Plus
aaronlyon

Re: Split mono to Stereo tracks??

Post by aaronlyon »

Sounds like a non-issue. DP saves it's stereo tracks as two mono SDII files that end in .L and .R.

So, I suggest you click the Import button on the Soundbites window and import your audio that way. (I think the Import file filter will properly display your stereo tracks for browsing.)

-aaron
DP7*, Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz, 12GB RAM, MOTU 828mk3, Mac OS 10.6*
* Bleeding edge updater--if it's released, I've updated, and bled.
Tim

Post by Tim »

You could add the .L and .R extension to the two files (make them have same exact names) in the finder, then drag one in. Or, drag them into seperate mono tracks, then Bounce the two as one stereo file/track.
matwell

Post by matwell »

Well, it's not as easy as it seems. It's definitely NOT a non-issue.

I am talking about taking two mono .L/.R tracks that HAVE EDITS on them. These tracks have already been edited in Pro Tools. After importing the AAF file, the stereo edited regions show up as two mono tracks. All I want to do is make them be a stereo track instead of two mono tracks, WITH the edits intact. I do not want to bounce down to a stereo file, since I will lose the edits & regions.

In Pro Tools, you simply drag the two mono tracks onto a stereo track and voila...it's done.

If this can't be done in DP, then MOTU seriously needs to address this. It is a major flaw in the AAF Interchange "feature".

Thanks,
Michael
Quad G5 - 4GB RAM; PB 17" 1.5 GHz - 1GB RAM; OS 10.4.8, DP 5.11, Digi 002R, Mbox, Pro Tools LE 7.1, DV Toolkit 2, Music Production Toolkit, MachFive, NI Komplete2, EWQLSO GOLD, MemoryMoog Plus
matwell

Post by matwell »

Hmmmm, the lack of responses to this thread is disconcerting!

No one has had this problem?

No one has found a solution? (or worse yet, there is NO solution with DP currently?)

I have written MOTU about this, but have yet to hear back from them.

I'll keep you posted...
Michael
EricNDallas

Post by EricNDallas »

I will respond even though I rarely post but read almost every day........I had 2 mono files in a session I tried to drag to a stereo track like I always do on my works PTHD system and no it does not.....I guess you would have to record into the track with a stereo bus or some other crazy digital performer workaround..............but no I do not believe they allow you to just simply drag it in.....

by the way this a session from start in Digital Performer 4.12............no AAF so that's not the problem. It is the way they impliment mono and stereo file/tracks

Eric

<small>[ August 18, 2005, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: EricNDallas ]</small>
Eric
mr miyagi

Post by mr miyagi »

why not just have two mono files and pan hard left and right? That way you can maintain all your edits in the .L and .R files without having to do a conversion. I have to do this when I get OMF files.
2.5Ghz G5, DP 4.61, OSX 10.4.5, 2408MK3/PCI-424, MTP/AV, UAD-1, Spectrasonics, Mach5, GPO, Albino, Panasonic DA7
matwell

Post by matwell »

Mr. Miyagi,

You are absolutely right! That's the only way to live with this situation. It *IS* stupid that we have to deal with this in DP4.6 though!

Magic Dave, care to chime in on this? Shouldn't this be an easy thing to do in DP? Especially now that we can AAF Interchange with Pro Tools?

Here's how it works in Pro Tools, which is extremely easy and flexible:

You can take ANY two mono selections. They don't even have to be .L & .R pairs. They can be any selection of mono files, with different regions, edits, fades, etc. You select one time range on one of the mono tracks, then shift-click the other mono track. You then simply grab (with the Grabber tool) both selections and drag them vertically onto a stereo track. DONE.

There needs to be a comparable feature in DP. Maybe not even the same method. Perhaps an Audio command, like "Combine Mono tracks to Stereo". Also, there should be the reverse (once again, like Pro Tools)..."Split Selected Tracks to Mono".

I love DP, but as long as there are these basic audio features missing, I will keep turning to Pro Tools so I can get work done!

MOTU / Magic Dave, if this isn't on the "hot list" for the next update, it should be!

Thanks,
Michael
rainmaker
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by rainmaker »

Agreed... I find myself wanting this feature all the time. In fact, just today I was importing a lot of tracks that were recorded on another system and they had a lot of stereo tracks which I simply pan left and right and then "track group". I grew up on an analog mixer, so, the split stereo tracks thing and pan left and right is really not that big of a deal. But, heck, it's a DAW, why not use the technology that's available...? Or is that ••“••“ not available?

Rainmaker
mastermix

Post by mastermix »

I have been complaining about this .L/.R issue for a while...

Even Bias Peak does not handle such files gracefully....

The now-defunct Spark 2.8 audio editor came to the rescue...

Kris..
johnsmith
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by johnsmith »

i have the same issue..importing an OMF2 project from final cut pro 4.5hd into dp4.6. The stereo files have been split into 2 mono sd11's No left and rights here..just two files, one with a few letters missing just to add a bit of extra excitement. I can obviously pan hard left and right to get my placements back but i want to normalize the stereo files. A function only available in the soundbite editor window on individual files. This would be fine if i had stereo files to work with...
The omf import contains about 26 recordings of interviews, different voices, different levels, all on the same track. work arounds described so far are a time consuming nightmare!