linking multiple motu 828

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
stereotrope
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

linking multiple motu 828

Post by stereotrope »

I already linked to 828 mkII together. I had to create an new "agregate" device through Apple's Audio MIDI utility and define one of them as the master and the other to be sync-slaved to the master. Now I would like to add a third Motu 828 (older model). I add it to the existing agregate device and slaved it to the same master. Up to there it's working. The problem is when I launch Digital Performer 5, and open Bundles window output tab. I expect to see a new batch of available outputs for the mk828. They are not there. The add button doesn't make them available on the right columns either.
Someone can help ? Is the 828 model just too old ? I connect everything using firewire cables and use a recent Macbook pro. The outputs are available for the two 828 mkII but not the 828 model.
po:recording
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: linking multiple motu 828

Post by po:recording »

In DP's hardware selection, command-click on all the 828s in the list (and other ins and outs) you like. Without holding down the command key you will only be able to select one device at a time. Oh, it may be the "shift" key and not the "command" key, depending on the version of DP you've got.

I don't know if was really necessary for you to have grouped the first 2 828s together in AudioMIDI SetUp. I frequently use 828s and Travelers daisy chained on the firewire bus of my white MacBook for years, making settings in the hardware select window of DP. Sometimes, depending on the hardware versions of borrowed MOTU devices, I've had to actually use the clock ins and outs in order to resolve jitter problems, rather than relying on their being connected via FW already.

I hope this gets you rolling.
White MacBook 2GHz C2D, 2 GB Ram, Traveler, 828mkII, DP7.22, LogicExpress 9
stereotrope
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: linking multiple motu 828

Post by stereotrope »

Yes, It exactly worked as you suggest ! While I was unable to get the expected results trying to "agregate" the 3 devices together through Apple's Audio-MIDI setup utility (2 x 828 mkII and 1 X 828), your method directly within DP allows to get the whole bunch of audio bundle by shift clicking the three individual motu or combining an "agregate" of two 828mkII and the older 828. Thanks a lot !