Stuck notes and notes dropping out

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
elmurfo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Stuck notes and notes dropping out

Post by elmurfo »

Hey guys,

I noticed a post a few posts down about stuck notes and wanted to build on this problem as I am having it with MIDI only. Not only do the notes stick (unpredictably) but I'll get drop outs of notes...I'll be recording a sequence in from my keyboard and all of a sudden the notes stop playing but may pick back up after a second or two. The notes that drop out will not sound off and will not record MIDI data on the track.

Any one else getting this? Any work arounds? Any SOLUTIONS???

I'm using DP 4.52 with an Edirol UA-20 and Keystation 49.
Thanks,
Brian
toodamnhip

Re: Stuck notes and notes dropping out

Post by toodamnhip »

Hey Brian..

Look to see if the processor is spiking coincidental to the drop outs....

let me know.... send me an e mail
Originally posted by Brian M:
Hey guys,

I noticed a post a few posts down about stuck notes and wanted to build on this problem as I am having it with MIDI only. Not only do the notes stick (unpredictably) but I'll get drop outs of notes...I'll be recording a sequence in from my keyboard and all of a sudden the notes stop playing but may pick back up after a second or two. The notes that drop out will not sound off and will not record MIDI data on the track.

Any one else getting this? Any work arounds? Any SOLUTIONS???

I'm using DP 4.52 with an Edirol UA-20 and Keystation 49.
Thanks,
Brian
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

make sure you have the latest MIDI driver
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
croyal

Post by croyal »

If the new driver doesn't solve it, then backup your DP setups and uninstall DP and the MIDI driver. Then reinstall DP4.5, 4.52, and your new MIDI interface driver (repairing permissions after each leg of installment) Then put your setups back in place. This will cure your situation. Round trip about 15-25 mins (depending) and worth it.

<small>[ May 28, 2005, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: croyal ]</small>
Mac Studio Ultra/ 2013 Trashcan. DP10 and 11.
32 channels of Apogee Symphony MkII/ Dangerous 2Bus+.
Lots of Neve, API, and Dangerous outboard gear.
elmurfo

Post by elmurfo »

Hey guys,

thanks for the responses - this MIDI driver you're talking about...is it a driver by Apple? or are you talking about the driver for my MIDI interface? I did download and install the latest version with no solution as a result...things are still the same.

Brian
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

Motu's latest driver is 1.3.1 and for many of us it solved the MIDI weirdness. What interface are you using?
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
b9rel8tor
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by b9rel8tor »

Croyal and others . . . My symptoms are that, when recording a basic piano part (with one audio track), everything is going along fine, and then I will hear a burst of notes (not played by me) as I'm playing, and the resulting MIDI track has "stuck notes" all starting at the point where I hear the "note burst".

I have the newest driver (1.3.1), I've re-set my configuration in audio/MIDI setup, and I've removed the control surface interfaces from my plug-in foler. But the symptoms persist.

Does your uninstall/install method address the symptoms I'm having?

I've followed other threads on this topic but not noticed this fix - have others found it effective?

Thanks

Peter in St. Louis
PowerMac 3.3GhZ 6-core, Snow Leopard, 12GigRam, 3X1TB drives, DP 7.2, UAD Duo, Waves Gold, Alitverb 6, Quattro DSP 3.2, Ivory II, Peak
fsheinfeld

Post by fsheinfeld »

I have the exact same problem you guys have mentioned. This is happeneing since I upgraded to OSX from OS9 and with every version of DP4 (4.0, 4.1, 4.5).

Has anybody found a solution for this?
I haven't tried 4.6 yet (I'd like make sure that resolves the problem before doing it!)

The problem is even worse with big orchestrations...

<small>[ July 18, 2005, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: FREDS ]</small>
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Check out a couple older threads called "Midiclock Problem Identified" and a thread started by vbassguy. For vbassguy and myself the MIDI problems were caused by broken midiclock. Magic Dave was very helpful in isolating and identifying the problem. Some devices from manufacturers like Yamaha and Roland send out continuous midiclock messages when midiclock is enabled, and this was causing problems for DP4.52, which was originally tested with devices that do not send out continuous midiclock.

The latest MIDI driver cleared up some problems and seemed to yield tighter timing, but I still had stuck notes, machine gun notes yada yada yada. I discovered that this happened only when I slaved DP via midiclock to my Roland VS and when I used song position pointer.

The good news is that 4.6 fixes the problem, according to vbassguy. I haven't been able to share the joy yet because 4.6 requires at least OS 10.3 and I'm on 10.2.8.

Are you slaving DP to midiclock? Is anything in your system sending continuous midiclock messages? Then I would suggest upgrading to 4.6 if possible.

Tobor
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

MOTU recommends using CoreMidi in your MIDI patch thru settings. I turned it on and got stuck notes. Turned it off and no stuck notes. Try it, it's quick and free.
-----------------------------------
Remember... no whining :)
Dual G4 1.25 GHz - MOTU 896 - MOTU MicroLite - Reason
Visit Bulldawg Sound for info on my vintage drum collection, bands and links to my old DP site.
fsheinfeld

Post by fsheinfeld »

CoreMIDI doesn't help either. I upgraded to 4.6 and the problem is still there. It's not MTC related either.

I'm surprised more people haven't experienced this issue. I'm having this problem since DP4.0. A couple of composers friends of mine have the same issues (and very similar setups).

Any suggestions? This is driving me nuts!
dtobocman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by dtobocman »

I've tried all the fixes and nothing has worked for me either. I'll try unhooking the MIDI out from my Roland 2080 (maybe it's generating some MIDI crap). I'm on 4.6 with the 1.3.1 MIDI driver and I've tried toggling the core MIDI switch. Nothing works.

What sucks the big one is that my Kompakt-based VIs don't repond to the "all notes off" command from DP. The only way to quiet them is to patch through to those channels and replay the stuck note (it generates a noteoff this way). Imagine 20 tracks of EWQLSO... all with stuck notes.

Hell is for children... of MOTU. Marked by the Unicorn... that's me.

I'll go try unhooking the Roland now...