Mapping Maschine's controller with BPM 1.5

Moderators: James Steele, ssp

saintjoe
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mapping Maschine's controller with BPM 1.5

Post by saintjoe »

joker77 wrote:Thanks Joe, Okay I figured out how to get the pads all working as far as different notes on each group, but here's my issue:

A group in Maschine is basically like a page on the controller editor correct?
I'm wondering if we can select groups with the Maschine controller - A,B,C,D,E,F,G in BPM, when I try to assign this,I'm getting lost.. lol at least I figured out the notes, yay :shake:
what I planned on doing what just mapping the group buttons to the bank/rack buttons.

then setting "MIDI to selected bank" and then I'd only need to setup one set of pads/notes :)

That's how I do it now, one set of notes, plays whatever bank I'm on. I was just going to use the group buttons to "switch focus"
SoundsAndGear.com - music production news, tips, videos, and reviews.
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

b-righteous wrote: Make sure that BPM is setup to receive MIDI from the Maschine controller. I think you need a MIDI cable connection from maschine to your computer. Not sure if control mode works over USB?
it works via usb, you don't need a MIDI cable :)
b-righteous
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by b-righteous »

A group in Maschine is basically like a page on the controller editor correct?
I'm wondering if we can select groups with the Maschine controller - A,B,C,D,E,F,G in BPM, when I try to assign this,I'm getting lost.. lol at least I figured out the notes, yay :shake:
One way to do this is to disable the blue power icon on the editor group/pad page. This will turn off the group pages. This will allow you to assign the group buttons themselves to a cc#. You would then set the pads to BPM's map and use the MIDI to selected part function in BPM. That way, the same pad layout will follow regardless of what bank is selected.

lol saintjoe beat me to it.
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

it works via usb, you don't need a MIDI cable :)
Cool!
joker77

Post by joker77 »

Guys the only thing that I can't figure out is the relationship between the controller editor pages,and how to map them via cc to our bpm banks.. The controller editor pages change when I press each group fine, A,B,C,D,E,F,G, but I can't seem to get this to translate via cc in bpm. I'm sure once you guys get it,we'll be okay.. I admittedly haven't got into these editors,either for my Kore controller editor from NI as well..tty soon
Mac:Mac Pro 8 Core|12GB Ram|Lion OSX 10.7.2
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

That's what I was saying. In the control editor on the pages tab you will see a blue power icon in pad pages. Turn that off. That will disable the group pages mode but you will then see the cc#s over the group buttons. The group buttons have to be either in pad page mode or the buttons can send cc#s. It can't do both at the same time.

Once you turn that off, you can MIDI learn the group buttons to BPM's bank and rack buttons.

For the pads, you only need one cc map for the pads and it will be the same regardless of what bank you are on. You may have to turn on the input to selected bank in BPM though.

This method should work unless you are sequencing from your DAW or MPC.
joker77

Post by joker77 »

b-righteous wrote:That's what I was saying. In the control editor on the pages tab you will see a blue power icon in pad pages. Turn that off. That will disable the group pages mode but you will then see the cc#s over the group buttons. The group buttons have to be either in pad page mode or the buttons can send cc#s. It can't do both at the same time.

Once you turn that off, you can MIDI learn the group buttons to BPM's bank and rack buttons.

For the pads, you only need one cc map for the pads and it will be the same regardless of what bank you are on. You may have to turn on the input to selected bank in BPM though.

This method should work unless you are sequencing from your DAW or MPC.
Nice of you to break that all down for me I appreciate,I'm sorry I didn't realize I could turn the pages off,this is where I was stuck at.. :wink: Working now as you mentioned.. It's going to be a monster working w/BPM like this finally for me.. Thanks for the help 8)
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
joker77

Post by joker77 »

This is actually pretty slick with the Maschine controller,due to so many of the same features,it's gonna make a great controller for Bpm.

Thanks b-righteous n st. joe for the help with the controller editor, and definitely UVI for doing this...wow
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

yeah man, I knew it would be dope, I was already using Maschine to control BPM so deeper MIDI mapping was very welcome to me...can't wait to get mines man lol.
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

Cool! Glad your up and running.

I have a few different approaches on how to set it up. I will probably make some basic templates after I get my copy next week and post in the Maschine forum.
joker77

Post by joker77 »

Definitely ,that sounds great, I tested the settings in S1 Pro,and it's working just fine,same as standalone.I've mapped quite a bit,1 pg close to being done, page 2 I'll most likely try to get the Mixer involved,using the knobs from Maschines controller to correspond with the Mix.

One request - UVI you guys are imo taking a stand now, please continue! Although I wish this would've happened fom day one,it's close to going to that next level obviously..This is getting interesting.. ssp PLEASE also let us know anything else you plan on doing with ur controller..I have faith that something special can happen with this. Folks will definitely buy this
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

Not sure if everyone knows or not. In the editor you can label the Maschine knobs and pad pages and they show on the LCD so you know what mode you are tweaking. You can also label each button and knob. If you hold shift, you can use the top buttons 5 & 6 to toggle the right display to show pad pages and knobs/buttons with names!

There is also another way you can go about groups. You can leave the group page mode on and have group A for triggering pads, B for selecting banks, and C for editing. You can set copy/ paste for patterns and scenes on the buttons or pads too. How about the top buttons to switch views for sequence, edit, fx etc.?

Another option is to use the vertical row of buttons to switch banks racks and live/song modes. Scene would be bank A, pattern bank B etc. I think I will make three templates with different methods. :love:
joker77

Post by joker77 »

Oh man this just keeps getting better, thats good news man,thanks for sharing that!! :wink:
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

yeah man, I always label stuff so it shows on the maschine screens :) I use this joint to be a custom controller for a lot of stuff man, it's very flexible.
joker77

Post by joker77 »

Wow this really makes it feel personal, I'm going through now assigning the names on the controller..With the feel of the pads,and the controller editor,this has to be the best way to use Bpm imo.. I've been using the Mpd line,32,24,18 to control Bpm,but this controller n upgrade just makes it feel perfect 8) peace