MOTU RELEASE BPM OFFICAL UPDATE DETAILS

Moderators: James Steele, ssp

ssp
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MOTU RELEASE BPM OFFICAL UPDATE DETAILS

Post by ssp »

FINALLY HERE IS THE LINK AND INFO ON THE UPDATE

http://www.motu.com/products/software/BPM/new-15.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

every single thing that has been requested so far has now been included in the next update for Motu BPM software including an improved library as some of the sounds had problems with grounding buzz artifacts in the original recording process, and an additional library.

You get.
undo : the most requested feature to date
complete MIDI mapping: you can assign any MIDI controller to any feature in the program
Note repeat: for all the MPC heads out there.
MIDI select: in edit mode this allows you to press a pad and the waveform changes to that pads waveform in the display.

and more and more and more features added on.

I think that MOTU and UVi have to be congratualted for finally releasing the application update after months of going back and fore correcting issues and getting the new update right first time.

Even so im sure that we will still have some people who are unhappy.

Personally I dont give a crap all i know is after being patient the wait is almost over.

Also for those who are wondering why it is a paid update here is the reason. you are also getting the beat box anthology library and ilok authorisation.

I for one did not know that it was going to be a paid for update, personally I think the beatbox add on should be optional as it is the only paid for part here. I will get in touch with motu and see if it is possible to have the updater as a seperate option. However as they have now spent quite a bit on the cd's etc i doubt it will happen but you never know.

Once again thanks to James for this section of the forum, to Josh Hetrick at MOTU and to Alain & Olivier at UVI for getting this candidate released.

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
b-righteous

Re: BPM OFFICAL UPDATE DETAILS

Post by b-righteous »

Just posted about this around the same time. Thanks for giving us some details. Like I stated in the other post, I see the reasoning for the paid upgrade with new DVD's but feel it should be cheaper with the option to not get the new soundpack. Unless the new content is based around that pack and it needs to be installed, it should be optional or free. Some guys probably already have that pack too. Not that it is not worth it but I think they should reconsider or discount it. For me it is no deal breaker either way so I ordered it.
every single thing that has been requested so far has now been included in the next update for Motu BPM software including an improved library as some of the sounds had problems with grounding buzz artifacts in the original recording process, and an additional library.
Well, certainly not everything as I can think of a few off the top. Still I am glad they updated the content as I noticed some of those artifacts and issues in certain sounds. Perhaps you can fill us in on some other features if any that are not listed in the press release?

Regardless of my minor gripe on the upgrade price, I do thank UVI and Motu for listening to our suggestions and working to get us this much needed release. It appears at least the most critical issues have been addressed.
saintjoe
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by saintjoe »

My two favorites on the list are the MIDI mapping and the MIDI select, this is huge for me.

Can't wait to fully map it to my Maschine controller :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I can see the issue with the upgrade price, but considering it's less than the price of the expansion library, I guess it's not too bad. I agree though, maybe an option or something even a cheaper price for the update without the library, which may or may not be useful to everyone, or some may already have it.

Can't wait to try it out though, can't wait to get my MIDI map on lol.
SoundsAndGear.com - music production news, tips, videos, and reviews.
ssp

Post by ssp »

well the update calls on the extra libs section which is part of the update itself, so youwould miss out on a massive amount of extra patterns and sounds. Now there are users who already have the beatbox anthology who "dont like it" so to say, however everyone's opinion differes as other users will appreciate the vintage drum machines.

I for one really like some of the older machines that are included and am gratified that i can now use them in a much more varied way.

I agree there should have been a different option for those who didnt want the library addition, prehaps to release an update that doesnt call on the extra libs and patterns, which just gives the added feature set minus these. I wish i could say "yes this will happen" however its not up to me what MOTU does with its products.

i have been fortunate to have been playing around with this update for some time now in various levels of finalisation. The extra customisation that it now goves makes it a no brainer for myself.

There are a few things missing which will be taken up in a future rolling update (i hope!!!) but apart from that even i cannot find a fault with it in it's current state.

i just hope that finally the patience you guys have had to put in place has been worth it and this allows you to get on with using it in a more productive way.

Also thanks to a few of the forum members who have been really patient and constructive while waiting for more info to come in, especially b-righteous who has always taken the time to interact with the users here.

one thing that was requested before I was a MIDI out, I have to admit that this has not been included in this update and I will say there are no plans to add this feature at the present time.

Even so with this update, please please report any errors or issues to myself, Motu tech or the guys at U.V.I. If we can get this error reporting right this time updates will be more forthcoming in future.

Anyway enough of my twaddle get on with making some music.

ssp

saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

true speak right there, it's not that much of an investment, I just know folks that already have that library will be a lil ticked.

but it's cool... it's not like buying bpm all over again

I've already been enjoying BPM thus far, so these little workflow enhancements will be very welcome, the MIDI stuff will be very useful for me.
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

well the update calls on the extra libs section which is part of the update itself, so youwould miss out on a massive amount of extra patterns and sounds.
In that case I can see the value. Looks like they may have integrated the samples into the base library in a useful way. I also like the extra touch of having Flex Loop variations on the library loops.
Also thanks to a few of the forum members who have been really patient and constructive while waiting for more info to come in, especially b-righteous who has always taken the time to interact with the users here.
Your welcome and thanks for the props. I hope they follow through with another free update with new features. That would help justify the fee and increase customer satisfaction. Can't wait until my update arrives!
pauze

Post by pauze »

Man, I'd love to see a complete list of the additions/revisions before I jump in. I'm cautiously excited.

Mainly I'm looking for a multiple pad select/editing (i.e. global editing), and a last-action undo (rather than a "record undo"). The features mentioned on the webpage don't give much details to those points.

If anyone has any info -- ssp or those who receive the update -- I'd love to know! :)

(I'm also looking forward to this forum taking a more positive spin now that the update is out!)
ssp

Post by ssp »

well really quickly as its now 2 am here almost, i just loaded up bpm and drew in the graph section, hit undo and bingo .. gone. drew something else, undo and gone. so then i put 4 note markers in and then drew the velocity curves and hit undo, gone. the undo isnt just for the record. so thats tested for you and working.

heres two mindows from the update.
the MIDI controller set up either input the cc# manually or hit learn its that simple.

and here you can see the note repeat that you all wanted

notice to the right of the record button is the undo button. get the full img from here to see it all http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp11 ... d/bpm2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as it stands there are a few buttons that are not MIDI assignable, namely the sp mode buttons and the cut off filter selector button the adsl/ahd buttons and the drive button but im told these would be addressed in later rolling updates.

hopefully that answers your questions.

ps: look at the libs list. you can see the extra sound sets and patterns, its not just a few there is a massive addition.

i will do a check on other features as and when i can get back in here and questions are posted.

b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

Does undo also have redo?

When recording rack parts, does it still chop off your sustained notes held a couple beats past the loop boundary?

Is there a way to save single rack instruments/parts vs the whole rack?
saintjoe

Post by saintjoe »

single rack parts would be awesome, I was just thinking about this today
chrisma

Post by chrisma »

ssp wrote: one thing that was requested before I was a MIDI out, I have to admit that this has not been included in this update and I will say there are no plans to add this feature at the present time.
ssp
Yeah I was a big advocate for this but SaintJoe posted a comment on his blog about wishing BPM could open VSTs which actually is not a bad idea and sorta like midiout...never the less the new update is a wonderful surprise and really speaks volumes for MOTU...looks like they are not only listening but investing as well. Can't wait to get my copy. Thanks for the detailed update SSP and thank you MOTU.

T.
World Class Major Label Quality Music Production - UrbanMultiTracks.com
http://www.urbanmultitracks.com/

Music Production, Mixing & Mastering - ChrismaProductions.com
http://www.chrismaproductions.com/
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

I did not see save rack instruments in the screen shot of the 1.5 file menu so I think it's still not there.

I did not see pad copy/paste in the controller map. Is it there? This is a big one for fast copy paste. If it's not there they should add it.
joker77

Post by joker77 »

Hello MOTU,
I would upgrade, but I already own Beatbox anthology and I don't feel I should have to buy a product twice,thats not fair at all how about a user like myself,where's my upgrade? If your dead set on selling with a library, how about let us pick a library?
How about 16 tunings did that make it? Any updates to the browser? Good to see it finally got updated,but for 80 bucks when I already own the content is pretty steep.. ssp please let us know,what Motu says here..

thanks..
Mac:Mac Pro 8 Core|12GB Ram|Lion OSX 10.7.2
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
joker77

Post by joker77 »

Can we now assign the start and end of samples to a cc? for editing with MIDI controller knobs vs. a mouse yet?

Is the browser fixed yet, to when you select a folder,then close BPM it remembers that same folder? Fav's list??

Is it also possible to set all 16 sounds in a bank to cut each other off in one pass, vs. setting each pad to a mute group??
Mac:Mac Pro 8 Core|12GB Ram|Lion OSX 10.7.2
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

joker77 wrote:Hello MOTU,
I would upgrade, but I already own Beatbox anthology and I don't feel I should have to buy a product twice,thats not fair at all how about a user like myself,where's my upgrade? If your dead set on selling with a library, how about let us pick a library?
You should write to MOTU with your concerns - this isn't their forum, you won't get a reply from MOTU from here.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku