Question about 3 libraries

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
Midi maniac

Question about 3 libraries

Post by Midi maniac »

This is the most relevant forum I think, to post my question...because I want some tips from composers that are active in the field with experience in VI libraries.
I would like if possible some comments on the following libraries:
Hollywoodwinds ($300) http://www.cinesamples.com/products/hollywoodwinds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LASS(LA Scoring Strings($1100) http://www.audiobro.com/html/update.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Symphobia ($1400) http://www.projectsam.com/Products/Boxed-Products/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I own KONTAKT 4 and from PLAY I have Symphonic orchestra(Gold), symphonic choirs, RA, SD2...

My questions:1)Is symphobia going to benefit me or the PLAY is the same thing?
2)Hollywoodwinds: anyone having this library that can say a few things?
3)LASS: Is it worthy $1100 when they include only strings in the library?
Thanks a lot..
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Question about 3 libraries

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI maniac wrote:This is the most relevant forum I think, to post my question...because I want some tips from composers that are active in the field with experience in VI libraries.
I would like if possible some comments on the following libraries:
Hollywoodwinds ($300) http://www.cinesamples.com/products/hollywoodwinds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LASS(LA Scoring Strings($1100) http://www.audiobro.com/html/update.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Symphobia ($1400) http://www.projectsam.com/Products/Boxed-Products/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I own KONTAKT 4 and from PLAY I have Symphonic orchestra(Gold), symphonic choirs, RA, SD2...

My questions:1)Is symphobia going to benefit me or the PLAY is the same thing?
2)Hollywoodwinds: anyone having this library that can say a few things?
3)LASS: Is it worthy $1100 when they include only strings in the library?
Thanks a lot..
I will be buying LASS shortly..it is hands down the most amazing library I have heard and blows east wests away for me at least.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Have you checked out the Vienna stuff?
I was a little surprised you didn't even consider them in your list...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Elektroakoustika

Post by Elektroakoustika »

LASS is a terrific library. But from the look of your current set-up, I would consider getting the newly release LASS Lite. LASS Lite basically includes all the articulations but only has the full section strings instead of all the divisi sections. Its currently on sale for $449 and you can easily upgrade to full LASS in the future.

Symphobia is also a terrific library if you're looking to create fantastic results without a lot of tweaking. It has an amazing sound right out of the box. LASS you will end up tweaking a little more (but you will get a much better string sound with LASS than you will with Symphobia). Just be aware that Symphobia is all ensembles, and it makes it harder to write for individual instruments. Granted, that ensemble set-up makes it easy to create wonderfully realistic brass and string chords as well as short notes.

FMiguelez makes a good point with VSL. Though I wouldn't recommend their strings. Not because they are not well done, but the legato sound is just downright unrealistic to my ears. But I would recommend their woodwinds. The special edition download woodwinds would be a fantastic investment for you.

Hollywoodwinds is a great ensemble and runs library, but thats it. The reason I haven't gotten it is because I really don't have any need for a type of library like that.

As far as brass goes, there really aren't very many good libraries on the market, and I have both VSL and EWQLSO. I find myself using a mix of the two, probably using EWQLSO a little more (but VSL is useful for legato since EWQLSO's legato is terrible). Then again to play any articulated passages, VSL sounds terrible and EWQLSO rocks.

I also wouldn't count out EastWest's Hollywood Strings. While it certainly isn't cheap, it is a very in depth library with a more extensive amount of articulations than LASS. I think it has a great sound as well, and while I love LASS, I wish I had the funds to buy this too.

I'm currently waiting for a company to release some new brass and woodwinds libraries. Especially brass. While I can get by using EWQLSO and VSL, there is still a lot that I can't do with brass. We need new brass. And as far as woodwinds go, VSL is great, but I really don't like the fact that we only get 2 dynamic layers for legato patches, which are my most used patches. I almost always end up using the softer layer because the louder layer is just way too loud of the sound I'm looking for. And I've never particularly liked the oboe and bassoon sounds either.

My two cents

-ea
Mac Pro 12-Core 2.93ghz 64gb ram | macOS 10.12.6 | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 | DP 9.52 | VE Pro 6 | Dorico 2.2
2016 MacBook Pro 2.6 ghz i7
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Elektroakoustika wrote:LASS is a terrific library. But from the look of your current set-up, I would consider getting the newly release LASS Lite. LASS Lite basically includes all the articulations but only has the full section strings instead of all the divisi sections. Its currently on sale for $449 and you can easily upgrade to full LASS in the future.

Symphobia is also a terrific library if you're looking to create fantastic results without a lot of tweaking. It has an amazing sound right out of the box. LASS you will end up tweaking a little more (but you will get a much better string sound with LASS than you will with Symphobia). Just be aware that Symphobia is all ensembles, and it makes it harder to write for individual instruments. Granted, that ensemble set-up makes it easy to create wonderfully realistic brass and string chords as well as short notes.

FMiguelez makes a good point with VSL. Though I wouldn't recommend their strings. Not because they are not well done, but the legato sound is just downright unrealistic to my ears. But I would recommend their woodwinds. The special edition download woodwinds would be a fantastic investment for you.

Hollywoodwinds is a great ensemble and runs library, but thats it. The reason I haven't gotten it is because I really don't have any need for a type of library like that.

As far as brass goes, there really aren't very many good libraries on the market, and I have both VSL and EWQLSO. I find myself using a mix of the two, probably using EWQLSO a little more (but VSL is useful for legato since EWQLSO's legato is terrible). Then again to play any articulated passages, VSL sounds terrible and EWQLSO rocks.

I also wouldn't count out EastWest's Hollywood Strings. While it certainly isn't cheap, it is a very in depth library with a more extensive amount of articulations than LASS. I think it has a great sound as well, and while I love LASS, I wish I had the funds to buy this too.

I'm currently waiting for a company to release some new brass and woodwinds libraries. Especially brass. While I can get by using EWQLSO and VSL, there is still a lot that I can't do with brass. We need new brass. And as far as woodwinds go, VSL is great, but I really don't like the fact that we only get 2 dynamic layers for legato patches, which are my most used patches. I almost always end up using the softer layer because the louder layer is just way too loud of the sound I'm looking for. And I've never particularly liked the oboe and bassoon sounds either.

My two cents

-ea
Wow man, sounds like you have really dived into all the string libraries..nice!
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Midi maniac

Post by Midi maniac »

Thanks guys for your great input...
I wish I had money to buy them all and have a choice...

Money CAN buy everything....does anyone disagree?
Ha!
Midi maniac

Post by Midi maniac »

I checked the LASS lite....great idea !
But what does the following mean? It does not explain in details:

"Dollar-for-dollar upgrade path to the full version + a $50 license upgrade fee"

Also it does not provide info about the siz of the Lite library.....
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI maniac wrote:I checked the LASS lite....great idea !
But what does the following mean? It does not explain in details:

"Dollar-for-dollar upgrade path to the full version + a $50 license upgrade fee"

Also it does not provide info about the siz of the Lite library.....
I would suppose that means that they will credit what you paid for the smaller version, dollar for dollar , towards the price of the highest version at whatever the price of the higher version is at the time you upgrade. So, if you paid 400, and in the future the cost is 1300, you will get 400 credit leaving a balance of 900 + 50 upgrade fee=950
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Midi maniac

Post by Midi maniac »

great... thanks buddy
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

VSL libraries are too expensive IMO. The one I really would like is epic horns and you are looking at about $1,000 for the library and extended library. That is insane.

LASS has a great string library.

Another poster mentioned the lack of good brass libraries and I have to agree. Symphobia has some amazing brass sounds, but it isn't a complete package. I was interested in buying Project Sam's Orchestral Classic Brass, but haven't heard any feedback about it. If anyone here has tried it and could give a brief review, I would be most appreciative.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

HS just had a $200 price drop, but I haven't been paying enough attention to know what that means... I kind of have an EWQL moratorium in effect at the moment.

They will be doing a choirs edition as well, so you might keep that in mind if you're thinking your strings choice might need to blend well with a complementary choral library.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Elektroakoustika wrote: FMiguelez makes a good point with VSL. Though I wouldn't recommend their strings. Not because they are not well done, but the legato sound is just downright unrealistic to my ears.
I would hope that you have worked to a modest extent with the full version of VSL. Many people's experiences with VSL go no further than the LE samples that shipped with Kontakt or MachFive. I've always thought that this was the worst thing VSL could have done because Kontakt does not make for an attractive platform for their products. They've seen the need to make their own interface for their library, so I have no idea why they'd risk a part of their library to a generic playback interface.

Yes, VSL is expensive. When there's no cash, then game over. Who doesn't understand that?

EA-- I love VSL strings. The legatos can be adjusted with their interface. The editing possibilities are virtually endless. I'm not knocking other libraries which may fit more like a glove to some users, but I'm just saying that VSL isn't so much of a turnkey library as it is a concept all its own.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52