Optimizing a Large Orchestral Template

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
PMortise
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Optimizing a Large Orchestral Template

Post by PMortise »

Hi All,

This is a really helpful thread that deserves a refresh. A lot has changed since the last post!

I'm posting where I'm at (so far) through my own trial and error in the hopes of maybe helping out someone who could use it, but mainly in the hope that some of you DP gurus can shed some of your latest pearls of wisdom. Please feel free to help a neophyte along the way! :D

It seems for most, slaves are the way to go. But for now, I like to keep it all in one box for the sake of my sanity. :smash:

Currently I host all V.I.'s in 3 instances of VE Pro Server. One for percussion (an EWQLSO and an SD2), one for LASS 2.0(5 K5's), and one for everything else (Albion, Cinebrass, Omni & EWQLSO Choirs-which I only load when needed). DP's buffer is set to 256, and I go back & forth with the VE Pro buffer. I'll switch it to "0" for parts I'm playing in, but they're usually set to "1".

I started with the manual's suggestion:
"Audio Preferences: You may change the number of used threads in the Multiprocessing drop-down menu in real-time, and each Vienna Ensemble PRO instance will use the specified number of process threads. So 1 instance on an 8 core computer should use 8 threads, 2 instances should use 4 threads, and so forth. Ideally you should have as few threads as possible. If you're also running your host sequencer on the same system as the running instances, it might be wise to reserve a core for it.
To keep it simple, set the amount of threads to your amount of cores. If you run into performance issues, lower the amount of threads."

While my first instinct isn't to buck convention - after experimenting I've found that for my setup, having the Default Thread Count set to 12 kept DP's Audio Performance from flashing in the red - and the least amount of stuck notes in LASS as well. By the way - I have K5's Multiprocessor support turned off. That helped a lot in the beginning.

I've recently upgraded from DP 6 to 7.24 and a couple of annoyances have popped up. The first is that I can't use my scheduled Automator script to launch everything in the morning. For some reason 7.24 sometimes gets hung up on the small "Reading Project" window. Not too big of a deal though, as it only takes 2 clicks and about about 10 minutes for everything to fully load - and I can get coffee while that happens. The other thing is that I now have to stop projects from playing in order to switch window sets or DP will unexpectedly quit. Does that happen to anyone else? In all, it's not enough reason to switch back to 6.0.3 - but it does have me just as eager as everyone else for vers 8.

My drive setup goes like this:
Bay 1 - 500GB WD Caviar Black: Projects Drive
Bay 2 - 500GB WD Caviar Black: Strings
Bay 3 - 640GB WD Caviar Black: Brass, Winds, Perc
Bay 4 - 500GB WD Caviar Black: OMNI, Choirs, Albion, Pianos
"Upper" - DVD drive
"Lower" - 2TB in 2 partitions: Backup boot (I know I can restore from TM, but it helps my paranoia :wink: )
"Lower" part 2: 128GB M4 SSD: OS and apps. I'm thinking of swapping the strings onto this and putting the OS back on the Caviar. (BTW, this gets power daisy-chained from the "Lower Bay" with the data going the mobo. The HDD is going into a Sonnet Tempo E4i pcie card. There are 3 more open connections on that card (which was very helpful in the old G5), but I don't know how I'd power them! :?

I've read somewhere that going with a SAS card for SSDs is the way for this machine to get SATA3 speeds, but still researching into the overkill aspect of that.

So, there it is. I'd love to hear what other folks with their Mac Pros flying solo are up to!
DP 10.11 / 3.33GHz 12-Core, 10.15.7, 128GB / 3.33GHz 12-Core, 10.15.7, 128GB /
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination." ~ Einstein
PMortise
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by PMortise »

C'mon...I know I'm not the only one! :wink:
DP 10.11 / 3.33GHz 12-Core, 10.15.7, 128GB / 3.33GHz 12-Core, 10.15.7, 128GB /
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination." ~ Einstein
dosuna11
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by dosuna11 »

willheim wrote:
I've tried this before. I actually found it to be a hassle, especially since I have 3 separate instances of PLAY. But I do see how it could reduce some CPU usage. Interestingly PLAY has become super stable for me inside VE Pro since the the new update. PLAY was never stable inside DP. And I've never had any problems with Ivory.

Thanks guys! Keep the ideas coming!

Huh. That's great news - VE pro is the vienna thing right? are you running that over LAN?

Yeah, Play blows as a insert - I didn't know you could run it with VE. Makes me want to buy the damn thing. Standalones rock though, for me - great way to spread the resources of ann 8 core around and use more memory and make DP more responsive and, well snappier.
Play stable? tell me more!
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
dosuna11
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by dosuna11 »

I'm using Plogue. Play EWQL Platinum Plus into Plogue takes forever to load 37 minutes, Kontakt 3.5 and Kontakt 5.1 take 2.3 minutes. Plogue is a great program once you get it up and running. It has saved my butt in Sibelius 7.1 using an IAC to Plogue and a Plogue virtual mixer out to my 828 MkII. This lets me use the same sounds when scoring in Sibelius. When the 64 bit Plogue is done with beta it will really scream. This set up is just like the old days of MIDI orchestration. Great sounds big track count low lat (128) all available. I no longer miss my Atari!
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com