My "Wouldn't it be nice..." list. (1st post updates)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
newrigel

Re: My "Wouldn't it be nice..." list. Enjoy.

Post by newrigel »

Tim wrote:
amplidood wrote: I don't want to start out messing with a reverb/ delay send at unity. Makes no sense.
Yeah. Just dbl click to set it at unity.
Either way, no matter where it defaults to, I'm gonna need to tweak it anyway.
+1! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: My smile matches yours Tim!
Grigri
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: My "Wouldn't it be nice..." list. Enjoy. (1st post updat

Post by Grigri »

For me, 1, 3 and 6 for sure!
1: For the aux send, I use the Temporary Group with the "W" shortcut to turn them off when I have many tracks but I would like the choice for the default aux level on a preference.

3: Floating window, nice if they do it

6: Aux assign, with large project, it can save us time

I would like the ability to turn stereo track in 2 mono Track and the other way around. I have posted that suggestion at the Motu website long ago. It's not a deal breaker but I will use often this feature for my needs.

David
Grigrisound

OSX 10.11.6 - MacPro Octo 2.8 - 12G RAM - Macbook pro 2017 I5 - 16 G RAM - Digital Performer 10.11 - Motu 828mk3 - Steven Slate - UAD2 -
zed

Re: My "Wouldn't it be nice..." list. Enjoy.

Post by zed »

Shooshie wrote:I wouldn't be against a preference...
Wherever possible, preferences are preferred. ;-)

The most significant preference I would like to see is the option for the bars of TRACK FOLDERS (which appear in the Tracks Overview) to go back to their original style--i.e. being all grey. I can't stand all that gibberish that is now contained in those track folder bars. I don't wanna know what MIDI is contained inside a track folder if it is closed. Some people might, but I don't.

Since I have the Tracks Overview opened at almost all times, the new look just makes it look cluttered and messy too me... it is actually more difficult to find the track I am looking for. I want to be able to close track folders and see only the tracks which remain (with the calm and zenlike solid grey bars we were used to--bars with no information in them).

Am I the only one who is bothered by that new "feature"? A preference to turn it on or off would be greatly appreciated.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

I'd love for track folders to be selectable (unless they are and I don't know about it).

When I have a huge template that I make a clipping of, the track folders where everything was organized seem to not be there when I drag the clipping back into the TO.
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Guys, this is really weirding me out, and making me think some of you have never worked on/seen/been near a large console. I hate to have to keep making this point, but large consoles are *never* zeroed out to unity. NEVER. EVER. If an assistant or whoever did that, and the mix guy/recording engineer came in to start a high pressure, big money session... guess what. FIRED. ON THE SPOT.

Sends at unity? Are you kidding? Look at it this way. Now that we have the mods with send level indication, you really like having them all on, all at zero, ready to feed an insane amount of signal into an effect? That's like having all the faders at unity at the beginning of a session. IT DOES NOT HAPPEN. Because it DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Of course, we are talking about audio faders, not MIDI. A MIDI fader being at 127 is fine most of the time, but even there a default of around 100 would be nice.
Last edited by amplidood on Fri May 14, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

amplidood wrote:Guys, this is really weirding me out, and making me think some of you have never worked on/seen/been near a large console. I hate to have to keep making this point, but large consoles are *never* zeroed out to unity. NEVER. EVER. If an assistant or whoever did that, and the mix guy/recording engineer came in to start a high pressure, big money session... guess what. FIRED. ON THE SPOT.

Sends at unity? Are you kidding? Look at it this way. Now that we have the mods with send level indication, you really like having them all on, all at zero, ready to feed and insane amount of signal into an effect? That's like having all the faders at unity at the beginning of a session. IT DOES NOT HAPPEN. Because it DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Of course, we are talking about audio faders, not MIDI. A MIDI fader being at 127 is fine most of the time, but even there a default of around 100 would be nice.
I admit the only experience I've had with a large console is when I saw the one they had at 20th Century Fox studios during my internship at Segue Music (many years ago). I just looked at it (and it looked amazing), and watched the engineers do their thing in awe.
That's the extent of my experience with those :oops:

However, I totally agree with you that having the sends default to unity makes NO SENSE. One will need to tweak the volume anyway, so why not start from -infinity?
I personally find it SO annoying having to select all the tracks and do the "w" thing to put them back to -infinity, as they should be.
Last edited by FMiguelez on Fri May 14, 2010 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Also, if tracks could be set to have automation ON as a default.
Mike, let us switch then! I get new tracks with automation ON all the time, and I hate it! I wish I could have new tracks with automation OFF by default (that way I instantly know which tracks are automated and which tracks aren't yet).

So if this is all correct, then there IS a way to get our new tracks with automation on or off and we haven't figured it out :?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

FMiguelez wrote:So if this is all correct, then there IS a way to get our new tracks with automation on or off and we haven't figured it out :?
Yes, but I can't remember what it is. I figured it out once, and all my new tracks now have automation off...but I can't remember what I did. :?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

I definitely agree that the sends level should be "off". Pro Tools had this issue for a while but years ago just made it a preference (new sends at 0 or inf) so everyone's happy.

Please give me MIDI regions.

My issue with automation is; when I turn it on, why doesn't it just start from where I have the fader(s) already? Am I doing it wrong?

bb
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

bongo_x wrote:I definitely agree that the sends level should be "off". This is like turning your guitar amp on or your monitoring starting with the volume all the way up. Pro Tools had this issue for a while but years ago just made it a preference (new sends at 0 or inf) so everyone's happy.

Please give me MIDI regions.

My issue with automation is; when I turn it on, why doesn't it just start from where I have the fader(s) already? Am I doing it wrong?

bb
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

amplidood wrote:Guys, this is really weirding me out, and making me think some of you have never worked on/seen/been near a large console. I hate to have to keep making this point, but large consoles are *never* zeroed out to unity. NEVER. EVER. If an assistant or whoever did that, and the mix guy/recording engineer came in to start a high pressure, big money session... guess what. FIRED. ON THE SPOT.

Sends at unity? Are you kidding? Look at it this way. Now that we have the mods with send level indication, you really like having them all on, all at zero, ready to feed an insane amount of signal into an effect? That's like having all the faders at unity at the beginning of a session. IT DOES NOT HAPPEN. Because it DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

I don't know, Andy… for me it's just a non-issue, as I don't feel bound by studio rules. Just aesthetic ones and convenience, and I think it's smart to make new rules for software when it makes things easier. However, if you're cutting in sends while it's playing, and you don't have your Aux fader down, then I can see why you'd be upset. I don't usually do that while it's playing, but that's neither here nor there. I can see your point, but regardless of past experience, I'm quite fine with sends defaulting to Unity.

Shooshie

[edit]
PS: I posted after a long phone call, then remembered that I was going to add that I'd be fine either way. Since send levels respond to groupings (if you've specified that), you can either turn them all down with the W, or select what you want and turn them down with T. Since I'm not dealing with external hardware, for me the Unity Send is convenient, but I do see your point.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Phil O wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:So if this is all correct, then there IS a way to get our new tracks with automation on or off and we haven't figured it out :?
Yes, but I can't remember what it is. I figured it out once, and all my new tracks now have automation off...but I can't remember what I did. :?

Phil
The answer is in Automation Setup. Set it the way you want and then hit "Save As Default For Audio Tracks" (or MIDI tracks depending on which type of track you selected to make changes to).

These settings are also saved in templates.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

bongo_x wrote:My issue with automation is; when I turn it on, why doesn't it just start from where I have the fader(s) already? Am I doing it wrong?
All you have to do is click on the fader cap. You don't have to move the fader. Maybe I'm missing something in your question.

Now, you could put the track(s) in Override mode and hit play. That will write automation without you having to do anything. Be very careful with that, though. If you don't turn parameters off in Automation Setup, it will write automation to Pan, Track Mute, and any Sends you have assigned to outputs (level, pan, pre/post). Also, make sure you tic on "Overwrite mode changes to Touch after pass." Otherwise you may forget to change it to Latch or Touch. That could lead to be a big mess.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
rainmaker
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by rainmaker »

Once again, I agree with several of the original poster's wishes! I too am extremely annoyed every single day I use DP that I have to constantly turn down aux sends to zero. It drives me nuts that they could create a preference for us so easily and yet, years later we are still asking for it.

I would also LOVE to be able to set as many aux send assignments at once as I want

I would love MIDI regions

I would love to be able to select MIDI in the MIDI or sequence editor windows and be able to hit copy and have all data copied correctly including controller data, etc

I would love the mixer to support different playback/record enabled fader levels automatically depending on whether I'm in record mode or not.

I would love a new GUI look for DP

I would love extended support for control surfaces such as the Mackie C4

I would love a newer and much improved time stretch algorithm.

I would love if after cutting soundbites into separate chunks and quantizing that DP could automatically fill and crossfade the gaps that are created.

I would love an elastic time feature as featured in Logic and Pro Tools

I would love for DP to keep innovating with new features that the competition doesn't even have. But they also need to stay up to date with what their own competition is doing as well. And it seems that many of the above items are things that many other daws have already.

I love DP and make my living with it but some of these things are so simple and would make a lot of people's lives a little bit easier.

Rainmaker
BobK

Post by BobK »

rainmaker wrote:I would love if after cutting soundbites into separate chunks and quantizing that DP could automatically fill and crossfade the gaps that are created.
What about 'Smooth audio edits'?
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4